Schaeffer's Reps- Explain #281?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#281 Heat Transfer Oil

It's in the industrial products section of their website. No, I'm not considering it for my car radiator.
smile.gif
This would be for high efficiency electronics heat exchange. I've not used anything but water & antifreeze mixes.

Can you provide additional information?

-What kind of equipment is this usually used in?
-How does it compare with water in regard to heat capacity and transfer?
-What's its viscosity?

Thanks,
David

David,

The paint industry is the only ones I've sold this to. There's a lot more industry that would use this type of product. In this case road paint equipment like the big paint trucks stripping down the lanes, they use a very hot paint to lay it down with and also some paint industries use heat to blend paint.

The system is normally a closed system but in one case it was not and the flash point was pretty high so needless to say and they were very concerned with his employee leaving the flame and not paying attention to the job.

As compared to water?.. Heat Transfer Oil is a non-corrosive 100% paraffinic heat transfer fluid that is formulated to provide fast and efficient heat transfer when used in a closed system application with expansion tank temperatures up to 600° F (315° C).

Some of the other benefits are

High thermal efficiency for rapid and efficient transfer of heat.

Low vapor pressure at elevated temperatures and high boiling point to prevent pressure build-up.

Non-corrosive to system parts.

Excellent hydrolytic stability and resistance to emulsification with water.

Excellent compatibility with other petroleum base heat transfer oils.

Excellent compatibility with all types of seals, materials of construction and finishes commonly used in heat transfer systems.

Non-fouling on degradation.

Virtually odorless and essentially non-toxic.

Some of the Typical Properties are listed below.

Specific Gravity 60° F .8705
API Gravity 60° F (ASTM D-287) 31
Viscosity SUS @ 100° F (ASTM D-445) 250-270
Viscosity SUS @ 210° F 50
Viscosity Cst, @ 100° F 53.7-58.2
Viscosity Cst, @ 210° F 7.28
Viscosity Cst, @ 40° C 48.5-52.2
Viscosity Cst, @ 100° C 7.09
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270) 97
Flash Point ° F/° C (ASTM D-92) 445° /229.44°
Fire Point ° F/° C (ASTM D-92) 480° /248.89°
Auto-ignition Temperature ° F/° C 695° /368.33°
Pour Point ° F/° C (ASTM D-97) 5° /-15°
Conradson Carbon % (ASTM D-189) 0.2
Ramsbottom Carbon Mass % (ASTM D-524) 0.5
Analine Point ° F/° C (ASTM D-611) 227° /108.33°
Total Acid No. (ASTM D-664) 0.2
Copper Strip Corrosion Test (ASTM D-130) 1a

I don't think you'd find much use for this in a regular automotive application.

Often it is a thinner fluid more like a ISO 32. I sell Heat Transfer Fluid for Asphalt Plants, Extraction of Soybean oil in Oil plants, Drying of Gas in natural gas pipelines, drying of sawdust in plywood factories, and industrial kitchens to apply indirect heat for 50 gallon cookers.

If I am not mistaken, Schaeffer's also has a synthetic or blended version as well.

We use it in aerospace to remove heat from electronics and hydraulic systems using
air-to-oil convective cooling through heat exchangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back