Oil Filter Value Analysis

The comparison is one filter at 99.9%@25um vs 99% @20um. Even assuming its 99.0%@20um, thats likely still better than 99.9%@25um given the ascent testing published here years ago.
Yeah, I highly doubt that extra 0.9% efficiency at 25u is going to make the efficiency at 20u better than 99%.

On the particle size i am assuming a wear particle is not a 1 dimensional line. A 20um sphere is half the volume of a 25um sphere, and a 20um circle is about 2/3 the area. So given filter material is a random weave, it would make sense that the 20% change in particle size singlular dimension makes the overall size (in volume or area) much larger than 20% and hence easier for the filter media to catch. I am Inferring here.
The ISO 4548-12 efficiency test compares different filters under the same test conditions with the same test dust, so making all those assumptions doesn't mean much. The results of the ISO test shows the overall efficiency is all anyone can conclude - and having a nice efficiency vs particle size curve like in Ascents test results is nice to have. If a filter catches more particles of any size, then it's more efficient regardless of how it got there.

10/4. I'll change the media rating accordingly for the Titanium and update the rankings. Thank you!
Update complete. With that change the Ultra and Titanium now have the same performance and features. The difference that remains is the cost. The Titanium is currently $3.52 (39%) more than the Ultra.

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm reaching out to you for your expertise on how to rank oil filter media.

Below are the 32 filter media descriptions from the oil filters in the Oil Filter Value Analysis database. Some are identical and some are very similar sounding.

I've put them into 4 groups and ranked them for your review. I would greatly appreciate your insights, knowledge and recommendations for the rankings and groupings. Use the blank column to share your comments and rankings . I'll then update the data base.

Thank you!

Manufacturer and Retailer Oil Filter Media DescriptionsRank
1-Best
Media Groupings
Screen Backed Synthetic1Wire/Mesh Backed Hybrids
SmartFUSION™ Full Synthetic with reinforced polymer mesh backing1
Metal Screen Back Full Synthetic Blend1
Synthetic2All Synthetic or MicroFiber
Micro-Glass Synthetic and Cellulose3Microglass or Synthetic Blend Hybrids
Micro-Glass Synthetic and Cellulose3
Dual Layered Synthetic Blend3
Dual Layered Synthetic Blend3
High-Density Synthetic Blend3
Natural & Synthetic Fibers3
Natural & Synthetic Fibers3
Natural & Synthetic Material3
OE Synthetic Blend3
Synthetic Blend3
Synthetic Blend3
Synthetic Blend3
Synthetic Blend3
Synthetic Blend3
Synthetic Fiber Cellulose Blend3
Synthetic Media Blend3
Enhanced Cellulose4Cellulose & Cellulose Blends
Enhanced Cellulose4
Enhanced Cellulose4
Enhanced Cellulose4
Cellulose & Polyester Blend4
Cellulose4
Cellulose4
Cellulose4
Cellulose4
Multi-Fiber High Density4
Multi-Fiber High Density4
Fiber and Resin Blend4

I'd rate the media based on the efficiency, holding capacity and/or "up to" use rating. Doesn't matter exactly what the media design is in order to get those performance factors. Having the info on what the media type/design may be be good info, but I don't think it should have a rating in the final ranking score because efficiency and holding capacity/up to use rating is what's important.

I'd rate the media based on the efficiency, holding capacity and/or "up to" use rating. Doesn't matter exactly what the media design is in order to get those performance factors. Having the info on what the media type/design may be be good info, but I don't think it should have a rating in the final ranking score because efficiency and holding capacity/up to use rating is what's important.
Your recommendation makes good sense. In fact I originally had the media in the feature area unrated.

Thanks again for your insights.

Are any filters with a mesh backed blend media?
Good Morning Overkill,

3 of the 32 oil filters in the database are backed. From their descriptions below it looks like the Endurance is a blend and the other two are full synthetic. Here they are:

1686657377671.jpg

Hi Overkill,
Fram uses the language "Full Synthetic Blend". How does that differ from a blend media? Thank you!
On which filter? The material for the XG and Titanium is a total gong show, as the filters both transitioned in most cans from a full synthetic media to a cellulose blend with a synthetic "topper", but this isn't wire-backed (hence my question about wire backed).

On which filter? The material for the XG and Titanium is a total gong show, as the filters both transitioned in most cans from a full synthetic media to a cellulose blend with a synthetic "topper", but this isn't wire-backed (hence my question about wire backed).
The Fram Endurance in the chart on Post #130. Fram's language is a "metal screen back full synthetic blend".

^^^ Yep, from Fram's website on the Endurance media. It must be a high percentage of synthetic media to still require the wire backing.

1686703771037.png

The Fram Endurance in the chart on Post #130. Fram's language is a "metal screen back full synthetic blend".
OK, that's word salad from their site, as they also state:
Our most durable oil filter has arrived. Designed with a heavy-duty shell and metal screen back construction in the fully synthetic filter media, FRAM Synthetic Endurance™ oil filters are optimized for use with synthetic oil to deliver 99% filtration efficiency and maximum engine protection for 25,000 miles.

There's nothing "blend" about that very white synthetic media, despite the verbiage further down the page, which seems to have been poached from the Ultra and Titanium pages, which actually have blend media now.

First Brands doesn't have ducks, and they aren't in a row, they have geese, Canadian geese, and they are biting children and crapping everywhere.

Someone should contact Fram and ask why the conflicting info on the Endurance media description on their website.
Yes, but can we expect them to actually fix anything? LOL They are currently manufacturing a filter (or so it appears) with two different types of media, depending on the size of the can. To expect customer service to have any idea as to how to even engage on this stuff, let alone in an educated and informed manner, I think is asking WAY too much, lol. We'll end up with more "baked media" and equally, if not more, bizarre nonsense.

Back