Schaeffer's Oil - Is the hype for real?

Well, there is always Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 - pretty good oil. The Raptor has a dual port injected engine, not exactly LSPI prone. :)

That would be the correct recommendation if that lubricant claims MB 229.52. šŸ¤ž

Iā€™m not a mobil distributorā€¦ So Iā€™m not going to go out of my way to buy oil from a competitor. šŸ˜‚ Kendall Max 5w30 would be fine for my use. I just want to run redlineā€¦ to do it. At least for a bit.

Iā€™m definitely not a car guy. At all. So the minor changes between engines and such, not something I keep up on.

I looked at the Redline euro 5w30 earlier in the day. And it was going to be my first guess. But I figure Iā€™m literally friends with the head of sales for all of redline. Why notā€¦ just ask?

I looked at the Redline euro 5w30 earlier in the day. And it was going to be my first guess. But I figure Iā€™m literally friends with the head of sales for all of redline. Why notā€¦ just ask?
Actually Red Line Euro 5W-30 would work just fine. Another good option would be Kendall GT-1 EURO+. Looks like good stuff and that turbocharged engine in the Raptor would benefit from it. Since it's dual injected (MPI/GDI) and it's a large displacement engine, LSPI isn't a concern. It gets hot, however. To use a BITOG euphemism, your motor would benefit from a "stouter" oil.

1671504194677.jpg

1671504212408.jpg

MB 229.52 is not really needed, just nice to have. ;)

Iā€™m not a mobil distributorā€¦ So Iā€™m not going to go out of my way to buy oil from a competitor. šŸ˜‚
I'm a Mobil fanboy so I wanted to rub that in a little bit, hehe. šŸ˜

My 97 Civic had piston slap years ago but had to be really cold outside for it, I asked the dealer about it as at the time I didn't really understand it and sounded like rod knock... their answer was that all Honda's do that and to run it. I also have a 04 GMC w/ 5.3 and as stated the earlier ones also were prone to piston slap but I haven't noticed it on this one at least not yet.

GM shortened the piston skirts to reduce friction inside of the engine but also can lead to the noise, it's typically a non issue and doesn't seem to affect engine life. The pistons are made out of aluminum and as the engine warms up they expand filling the cylinders so they don't rock back and forth.

The Civic I don't really drive it that much during the winter but I'll have to check and see if it still does it, I know it has to be really cold for it to do that. Honestly I can't really see where trying a different oil will help much if anything, the engine is either going to do it or it's not. I know they dropped Castrol Magnatec but I've read that lots of people experienced less noise and a smoother running engine while using it.
What's the difference between rod knock and piston slap when trying to diagnose which is going on? I can see piston slap usually going away when the engine warms up, but not if it's caused by a bad seal as opposed to aluminum pistons or short piston skirts. So how would you tell which is happening?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the difference between rod knock and piston slap when trying to diagnose which is going on? I can see piston slap usually going away when the engine warms up, but not if it's caused by a ****ty seal as opposed to aluminum pistons or short piston skirts. So how would you tell which is happening?
I guess piston slap goes away when the engine warms up, and rod knock pretty much does it all the time. I remember they asked me if it goes away after it warms up so I guess that's pretty much the only way you can tell.

That was many years ago and have learned a lot since but most likely I was using a conventional oil such as Castrol GTX which I used a lot back then. I'm currently using Valvoline Maxlife FS and haven't noticed it this winter but the car does make its own noises as it's getting old but definitely not related to piston slap.

Actually Red Line Euro 5W-30 would work just fine. Another good option would be Kendall GT-1 EURO+. Looks like good stuff and that turbocharged engine in the Raptor would benefit from it. Since it's dual injected (MPI/GDI) and it's a large displacement engine, LSPI isn't a concern. It gets hot, however. To use a BITOG euphemism, your motor would benefit from a "stouter" oil.

View attachment 131599

View attachment 131600

MB 229.52 is not really needed, just nice to have. ;)

I'm a Mobil fanboy so I wanted to rub that in a little bit, hehe. šŸ˜

We have the euro plus in cases. But if Iā€™m going to yoink a case of oil from the warehouseā€¦ Iā€™m going to yoink redline. Otherwise I have a filtered bull system for the Max 5w30.

Plus now I can use one of the fancy redline stickers I have stacks of. Doesnā€™t that add like 20hp? Thatā€™s what I was toldā€¦

I have all the graphs and such. I just wanted to confirm what I thought with redline is all. I really dislike getting into the motor oil debates. Industrial oils and greases are my forteā€¦. And I only have so many brain cells. Over reaching concepts > individual specific blends. Unless I really have to dig or have a question I want to answer on here or such.

Mobil makes generally good products. We could discuss some of their US steel 224 products. But alas, not the thread for it.

Plus now I can use one of the fancy redline stickers I have stacks of. Doesnā€™t that add like 20hp? Thatā€™s what I was toldā€¦
This is a picture of my 2022 Dodge Durango (take a guess what oil I'm running in the powertrain and engine ;))

doorango.jpg

I have all the graphs and such. I just wanted to confirm what I thought with redline is all. I really dislike getting into the motor oil debates. Industrial oils and greases are my forteā€¦. And I only have so many brain cells. Over reaching concepts > individual specific blends. Unless I really have to dig or have a question I want to answer on here or such.
That's why I like to throw in a little bit of humor here and there. Lengthy discussions about lubricants are dull and boring. It gets worse when you talk to folks who recite the marketing materials of their favorite brand back to you. That's my cue to move on. So I hope you don't mind a bit of humor. If you took any offence in what I said, I apologize.

Also, I'm running Red Line HP 5W-30 in a 3.3L GDI engine (2017 Santa Fe), and I also run Red Line D6 in the transmission (did four drains and fills and before that I had AMSOIL ATL in there).

You would be fine using Red Line HP 5W-30 in that raptor. It's got so much ZDDP and Molybdenum that you won't have any issues. I'm on my second OCI in the Santa Fe and this time around it hasn't burnt any oil, getting close to 2000 miles now.

I use the products I talk about, I don't like to just share opinions about products I never used. For me there is no shame in saying "I don't know" or "I have never used that product".

This is a picture of my 2022 Dodge Durango (take a guess what oil I'm running in the powertrain and engine ;))

View attachment 131713

That's why I like to throw in a little bit of humor here and there. Lengthy discussions about lubricants are dull and boring. It gets worse when you talk to folks who recite the marketing materials of their favorite brand back to you. That's my cue to move on. So I hope you don't mind a bit of humor. If you took any offence in what I said, I apologize.

Also, I'm running Red Line HP 5W-30 in a 3.3L GDI engine (2017 Santa Fe), and I also run Red Line D6 in the transmission (did four drains and fills and before that I had AMSOIL ATL in there).

You would be fine using Red Line HP 5W-30 in that raptor. It's got so much ZDDP and Molybdenum that you won't have any issues. I'm on my second OCI in the Santa Fe and this time around it hasn't burnt any oil, getting close to 2000 miles now.

I use the products I talk about, I don't like to just share opinions about products I never used. For me there is no shame in saying "I don't know" or "I have never used that product".

All good. I have thick skin. Iā€™ve been posting online about oil stuff since 2008. Humor I get but I donā€™t ā€œassumeā€ it anymore. Unless someone specifically calls it out. Mostly because people can take things the wrong way a lot. So Iā€™m cautious and try to overly explain.

I had some concerns with the calcium levels in the regular redline 5w30. But I had 8 cases of the Euro 5w30 in stock. Thusā€¦ Iā€™ll use that.

So no need to apologize!

We can stop distracting from OPā€™s posts.

I'm very underwhelmed by their products in general. I've had several meetings with them as we purchased one of their former distributors. We didn't pick the line up then, simply because there wasn't enough volume to justify the carrying cost of their product. (Minimum orders, etc.) They later called on us again and I was underwhelmed by their product offering and their technical 'expertise' even later.

Given, I'm generally a skeptic (as people can see from my posts here.)...
Your opinion of Schaeffer's Oil is certainly different from mine.

My view is they produce quality products and their formulator at the time we visited (for a possible business arrangement) was top notch and who had written a number of peer reviewed technical papers. We also met with all of the principles of the company who were very personal, professional and cordial.

They are a company with a long history of making lubrication products and while our expectations and their's did not result in a business arrangement, they are highly respected in the industry, and I came away with a great admiration of this company.

Your opinion of Schaeffer's Oil is certainly different from mine.

My view is they produce quality products and their formulator at the time we visited (for a possible business arrangement) was top notch and who had written a number of peer reviewed technical papers. We also met with all of the principles of the company who were very personal, professional and cordial.

They are a company with a long history of making lubrication products and while our expectations and their's did not result in a business arrangement, they are highly respected in the industry, and I came away with a great admiration of this company.

Itā€™s all in who you meet and how itā€™s presented.

Note, as always, this is just strictly my own personal opinion, which is just some jackass idiot on the internet. (Me!) It could be very different if I met the people you met.

Iā€™m sure people have different opinions of me and my company. Or the suppliers I use. Etc.

Back