Schaeffer's Oil - Is the hype for real?

I am an Amsoil Signature Series user in the vehicles I care most about. However, the engines of some exhibit piston slap until fully warmed up, especially during the colder climate. Reading through the reviews (mostly on Amazon) for Schaeffer's oil, almost all reviews rave about the engine being quieter. I know there is a high micro-moly content and quality components, but is this Schaeffer's quietness for real? If so, I am tempted to switch.

When I went from factory fill to Amsoil I noticed a huge improvement in quietness. I know some of this was due to engine break-in, but the oil did make a difference. I am trying to reach the next level of a quieter engine. Can anyone support these reviews that I am reading?

The engines the exhibit the most amount of noise: piston slap and valvetrain are:
2018 Toyota 4Runner 1GR-FE
2007 Honda Accord K24A8
2003 Corvette Z06 LS6

I am an Amsoil Signature Series user in the vehicles I care most about. However, the engines of some exhibit piston slap until fully warmed up, especially during the colder climate. Reading through the reviews (mostly on Amazon) for Schaeffer's oil, almost all reviews rave about the engine being quieter. I know there is a high micro-moly content and quality components, but is this Schaeffer's quietness for real? If so, I am tempted to switch.

When I went from factory fill to Amsoil I noticed a huge improvement in quietness. I know some of this was due to engine break-in, but the oil did make a difference. I am trying to reach the next level of a quieter engine. Can anyone support these reviews that I am reading?

The engines the exhibit the most amount of noise: piston slap and valvetrain are:
2007 Honda Accord K24A8
2003 Corvette Z06 LS6
Piston slap is the result of excessive piston-to-wall clearance (more common since the 90's as engines went to short skirts and bulk-fit pistons) and cannot be eliminated/reduced via oil selection. GM was notoriously bad for slap on the early LSx engines, but it appeared to have no impact on longevity.

Piston slap is the result of excessive piston-to-wall clearance (more common since the 90's as engines went to short skirts and bulk-fit pistons) and cannot be eliminated/reduced via oil selection. GM was notoriously bad for slap on the early LSx engines, but it appeared to have no impact on longevity.
Well said @OVERKILL no oil is going to fix the mechanical issue of piston slap.

Just my $0.02

Try this: https://www.schaefferoil.com/9040-full-synthetic.html in all of your vehicles. If it doesn't help, then the below is an option, and you get to keep using the Amsoiled

enginesoundkiller.jpg
enginenoisesolution.jpeg

Why not give it a try? When I tried Schaeffer, I was confident it was quieter on some of my engines. I actually measured the sound
with an app on my phone. Not the most scientific, LOL....

I love the company's values but it proved too difficult having to place those big dollar orders to get the best pricing. It they had a dealer
set up like Amsoil, I'd still be with them. I drive to my local Amsoil dealer and get a case here and a case there, a bottle here and a bottle there.
Most convenient for me.

My 97 Civic had piston slap years ago but had to be really cold outside for it, I asked the dealer about it as at the time I didn't really understand it and sounded like rod knock... their answer was that all Honda's do that and to run it. I also have a 04 GMC w/ 5.3 and as stated the earlier ones also were prone to piston slap but I haven't noticed it on this one at least not yet.

GM shortened the piston skirts to reduce friction inside of the engine but also can lead to the noise, it's typically a non issue and doesn't seem to affect engine life. The pistons are made out of aluminum and as the engine warms up they expand filling the cylinders so they don't rock back and forth.

The Civic I don't really drive it that much during the winter but I'll have to check and see if it still does it, I know it has to be really cold for it to do that. Honestly I can't really see where trying a different oil will help much if anything, the engine is either going to do it or it's not. I know they dropped Castrol Magnatec but I've read that lots of people experienced less noise and a smoother running engine while using it.

What helped the piston slap in my older GMs was using 10w30 instead of 5w30, same QS HM blend. As far as valvetrain noise, Schaeffer is great oil try it and see.

2007 Honda Accord K24A8
2003 Corvette Z06 LS6

All you can do is give it a try and report back!

I'm very underwhelmed by their products in general. I've had several meetings with them as we purchased one of their former distributors. We didn't pick the line up then, simply because there wasn't enough volume to justify the carrying cost of their product. (Minimum orders, etc.) They later called on us again and I was underwhelmed by their product offering and their technical 'expertise' even later.

Given, I'm generally a skeptic (as people can see from my posts here.)

If you're going to 'spend more' then even amsoil - I would look at HPL or Redline. However, redline is certainly more track oriented product. I did contact my rep at redline regarding LSPI issues / concerns today, specifically with their 0w30 and 5w30 as I just bought a raptor. For the moment, it's going to get Kendall GT-1 Max 5w30.

Edit: Redline’s tech team recommended their Euro 5w30 formulation.

Last edited:
I'm very underwhelmed by their products in general. I've had several meetings with them as we purchased one of their former distributors. We didn't pick the line up then, simply because there wasn't enough volume to justify the carrying cost of their product. (Minimum orders, etc.) They later called on us again and I was underwhelmed by their product offering and their technical 'expertise' even later.

Given, I'm generally a skeptic (as people can see from my posts here.)

If you're going to 'spend more' then even amsoil - I would look at HPL or Redline. However, redline is certainly more track oriented product. I did contact my rep at redline regarding LSPI issues / concerns today, specifically with their 0w30 and 5w30 as I just bought a raptor. For the moment, it's going to get Kendall GT-1 Max 5w30.
Psh, how you gonna post about getting a Raptor and then not post pics?

Well, there is always Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 - pretty good oil. The Raptor has a dual port injected engine, not exactly LSPI prone. :)

Redline’s tech team recommended their Euro 5w30 formulation.
That would be the correct recommendation if that lubricant claims MB 229.52. 🤞

Back