Scared to death (going back to school)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a call from a recruiter this morning for a possible Mechanical Design job, which would pay VERY WELL. If I get the job, I still plan to go back to school for nursing, but it may get put on temporary hold. Isn't life interesting?

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I got a call from a recruiter this morning for a possible Mechanical Design job, which would pay VERY WELL. If I get the job, I still plan to go back to school for nursing, but it may get put on temporary hold. Isn't life interesting?

That's ALWAYS the way it works!

Good luck, bud! Let us know what happens!

Although my classes don't start until late May, I now have my "[email protected]" e-mail address, so I can get some sweet student discounts on computer software and hardware.

Guessing the design job didn't work out?

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Although my classes don't start until late May, I now have my "[email protected]" e-mail address, so I can get some sweet student discounts on computer software and hardware.

Guessing the design job didn't work out?

It didn't pan out. I keep trying and applying. I haven't given up. I'm hard-headed that way.

Nursing is one of the better career choices one can make in this economy. You would be surprised how well some RN's make when the specialize in certain medical fields.

Hi guys. I don't usually share a lot of personal stuff on here, but I need an encouraging word. I've been out of work for over 6 months now, and am not getting any callbacks for any jobs I've applied for. The time has come, and my wife and I have agreed that I need to go back to school. I want to study nursing, and hope to eventually become a Registered Nurse.

I attended community college from 1991-1992 studying drafting and design, but left school when my father died in '92 and never completed my degree. Fortunately I've made a good living the past 20 years doing drafting/design work, but I'm having no luck finding a new job. I haven't been to college in nearly 20 years, am fairly certain all the credits I earned are long gone, so I'll have to start from scratch.....and I am scared to death of going back (not sure why). I need some encouragement to take my first step.

Thanks,
WW

I just graduated from college. Going back should be an EXCITING opportunity for you. New challenges, new friends possibly, new life, new outlook. You shouldn't be scared, but Grateful! A lot of people in this world would love to have the opportunity that you have.. and that is to go back to school..

start your own business. OR go to tech school and learn computers. most of those schools is less than 2 years. think about it are you REALLY a nurse?

Originally Posted By: morris
start your own business. OR go to tech school and learn computers. most of those schools is less than 2 years. think about it are you REALLY a nurse?

No knock on learning computers at a trade school, but you will plateau in your career very quickly. I manage a lot of those guys.

most of those schools is less than 2 years.

They is?
grin.gif
I guess you can get in and graduate from one of those schools without high school level English skills? At least you can "learn computers."
lol.gif

Quote:
think about it are you REALLY a nurse?

No, he wants to become one.

I'm not interested in being any type of computer tech. I believe I have all the qualities to become a great nurse, and the medical field has always interested me.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
wavinwayne, you can take my blood anytime. Not so sure about that sponge bath.

If you ever asked me to give you a sponge bath, there would definitely be some bloodletting.
lol.gif

I agree with the many encouraging remarks above.

Now that you've lived and worked a responsible adult life for years, school will be a piece of cake!

Of course, there is always some academic trivia to figure out and deal with.
grin.gif
But otherwise, learning is fun.

I'll be attending the new/transfer student orientation and summer semester class registration tomorrow. I've also had two job interviews in the past week that look fairly promising, so I'm probably going to sign up for two online classes (Psychology and a Humanities/Fine Arts elective) for the Summer semester. Good times.

Good luck! From the five years I've been in college, I find that the older students are usually more dedicated. I'm sure you will do well.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Good luck! From the five years I've been in college, I find that the older students are usually more dedicated. I'm sure you will do well.

I am definitely dedicated to getting a degree NOW, but I was absolutely NOT dedicated when I started college 20 years ago. Life certainly has a way of changing our priorities.

Hi guys. I don't usually share a lot of personal stuff on here, but I need an encouraging word.

The time has come, and my wife and I have agreed that I need to go back to school. I want to study nursing, and hope to eventually become a Registered Nurse.

I haven't been to college in nearly 20 years, am fairly certain all the credits I earned are long gone, so I'll have to start from scratch.....and I am scared to death of going back (not sure why). I need some encouragement to take my first step.

Thanks,
WW

I went back to college. Here is some advice that might help, but it might not be 100% specific to your situation. Not in any specific order.

1) Find out "exactly" what you want to do and where you want to go. Go to www.assist.org and match your junior college with the University you plan to transfer to. Do not start out undecided and take general ed requirement. Not all Universities will accept the same things. Some Universities will require you to take lower/general ed requirements at the university, so if you take them at the junior college you will have wasted your time and money. Lower/general ed classes are humanities, ethics, politics, and some Universities will require you to take English at the university. I don't think you can go wrong with taking math and English.

2) You will most likely have to take Chemistry. My Chemistry class required between 30-40hrs of pre and post lab homework. Do not overload yourself.

3) Take classes that closely correspond to each other or teach a similar subject so you will go over the same things twice. classes like: Psychology and biology; Physics and calculus; etc.

4) There will be a lot of extremely stupid people in college; over half will not be able to speak, read, or write English. Now days the junior college is what High School used to be, or should be: An Associates Degree is like a High School diploma.

5) There are a lot of extremely insecure people in college; both students and teachers. You may find that they what you to acknowledge them and give them self worth. If you ignore them (students) they will become angry. Imagine overgrown 5-year-olds.

6) Check www.ratemyprofessor.com and www.myedu.com to see what other people say about the teacher. Watch out for teachers that have pages of glowing reviews. I have found these teachers are incompetent. Remember, you are paying for class and books (about $100 for class and $200 for books per class). Why waste your time and money? Myedu shows what each teacher gives out in grades and the withdraw rate. All my hard classes have about a 50% withdrawal rate and under 5% "F" rate. Myedu also shows the workload required for each class. Don't overload yourself.

7) Talk to the representative from the University you plan on transferring to. They know more about what is going on then the college counselors. They will usually be there several times a month.

8) You will most likely need to take an assessment test to get in. This is just a simple English and math test. Regardless of how you do, you will still get in. They just will start you off at the right level. That being said, the assessment test may show you are at a higher level than you actually are. I tested fairly high because it was multiple choice, and I could make an educated guess. If I didn't have multiple choice questions I wouldn't have done so well. I knew that, and asked them to drop me down 2 levels in math and 1 level in English. The main reason why I did it was because I wanted to know what I was doing, and not just pass.

9) When you take a class, be sure you know the last day to drop for a full refund, and if they charge a drop fee. Also find out if the bookstore will give you a full refund. Usually, you don't need the newest books. There are a lot of places on the internet that sell used school books.

10) If you feel a teacher is a jerk, drop the class the first day. I have held on for a few days, past the drop date for a refund, and regretted it. These were usually liberal arts type classes. I have not dropped a science class. I dropped 1 calculus class because the teacher put me to sleep. The first day of school I had a sociopath Ethics teacher that started cutting me down in class and told his punk students to harass me because I was too old to be in school. I had a female Sociology teacher that usually spend 15 minutes a day bashing men and telling everyone how superior women were.

11)

+1, glad you said it.

I'm with you, when you own a business you are always employed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back