Scared to death (going back to school)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
You can do it Wayne. Go for it.
thumbsup2.gif

And YES, have all your transcripts checked. You may be surprised by how many hours can be applied.

+1

Good choice. When I was in nursing school I had a couple of people 50+, 48, two 39 yearolds. They did it, so can u.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
.....and I am scared to death of going back (not sure why)

Ok, so, I have the same problem. I honestly thought it was just me being my strange self. It's so nice to hear about someone has that has same problem. I'm very scared of school. Not like the "oh, I'm scared to try it" people say. I mean I'm SCARED, as in fearful, as in frightened like a little boy about to wet his pants. I don't know why I'm scared either.
frown.gif

I was 27 years old before I ever set foot in a college classroom. My good friend had to literally take me by the hand to campus and then she filled out the forms to get me registered for my first class. I 'almost' didn't go to class the first night and 'almost' tossed my cookie about 10 minutes before class started.

My wife was 50 when she finally earned her BA - we call it the 4 state, 5 school, 20 year degree. But, she went, she worked hard, and she finished.

You are in fine company and will adjust quickly, I'm sure.

Good Luck!

Very good, stable field your going into.
Dont be scared, that will not help you learn
You will also be a HUGE help to others who need your care.
You can do it, Wayne Lifestar!
wink.gif

You can do it. I have 100% confidence.

Treat school like a full time job (40 hours a week) and you'll absolutely crush the competition. They'll be spending 20 hours a week at the most.

Assuming a basic level of intelligence, which it is obvious that you have - and then some, anybody can do well in any school. It's all about effort. Your family situation and your maturity will ensure this effort. I am confident you will be successful, not to mention in the top 1/4 of your class with this approach.

Originally Posted By: dsmdriver2588
As far as credits, my school wouldn't accept anything over 7 years ago. So check with yours.

Wow. That would have been a deal-breaker for me.

Thanks again for all the kind words and encouragement, guys. I needed it. I've already filled out my admission application, and a couple of transcript requests. I've missed the Spring semester registration cut-off, so my new journey will begin with the Summer semester in May. Looking forward to it.

I went to college at age 34 for a year to take electronics. It was a complete career move and I had a wife and son. Very scary !!....for about 3 days.
Got in the groove and finished near the top in marks, my instructor got me the lob that I would have for the next 25 yrs.

You'll love it WW, the girls still look good as well.
cool.gif

Hope Mama Bear doesn't see this .....
27.gif

You will do just fine, once you dust off the cobwebs and get into the rhythm of studying and learning it will be easy. You're slightly older but much wiser and have more life experiences so it will actually put you at an advantage. My brother has been an RN for the last 18 years and enjoys working with veterans at the VA.

Theres many opportunities for an RN in terms of the different specialties you can go into. My sister in-law is an RN for Fresenius and makes great money.

I just started back about three weeks ago and I have to tell you I was scared as [censored] at first. Once the sign up process was done I felt a little better, and after I got my syllabi and started the first day I was extremely positive about it.

Just jump into it and it'll be great. Best of luck.

Thas the thing i love about nursing. Theres soo many things you can do with it. You can deal with cardiac patients, renal patients, critical patients, mentally ill (that was really fun, hehe)little kids, pregnant women, be on the IV team and put in IV's all day or PICC lines, or surgical nursing and scrub in and help the doctor or just circulate. My friend right now is doing traveling nursing and making some verrry good money. Best of all, she gets to see america!

Originally Posted By: dsmdriver2588
Yup, when have you ever heard of nurses getting laid off? I feel secure.

A few years before I met my wife, I dated a nurse for a while. She never worried about getting laid off.

Go for it, WW.
I graduated pharmacy school at 38, and I don't regret doing it at all. (I got late due to changing countries between pharmacy studies...when I migrated to US i had to pretty much start over what I had done half-way in Germany).

One of my wife's friends just started nursing school and she's 34.

You can do it.

Last edited:
Went to the college this morning and turned in my admission application. The nice young lady at the admissions office told me that my previous college credits should still be good; I'm shocked. So assuming she's right, I should have my RN degree knocked out in a little under 2 years.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Went to the college this morning and turned in my admission application. The nice young lady at the admissions office told me that my previous college credits should still be good; I'm shocked. So assuming she's right, I should have my RN degree knocked out in a little under 2 years.

Maybe then you can attend my procedure ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back