Saturn Ion Getrag F23 5-speed manual, what fluid?

The owners manual says Manual Transmission Lubricant 21018899 which has been discontinued.
The repair manual says Dexron III.

Any reason I can't use Dexron VI?

I'm not sure this applies to your model or not, but the old S-series called for Dexron III in the manual trans. When Dexron VI came out, GM said it should not be used in the Saturn manuals. That's when they started recommending a manual trans fluid. I somehow got the idea that it was re-labeled Dex III, but that might not be correct. At any rate, GM's guidance back then said Dex VI was not suitable in the manuals that took Dex III.

This website says it is still for sale around $9.86 per qt

That website just searches the internet and spits out raw information without vetting it. I've called dealers saying a part number should still be available, and they have asked me if I got that info from oemcats, so it has fooled a lot of people. Looking at a real GM dealer site shows its discontinued.

That looks like gear oil. I thought it takes a much thinner automatic transmission fluid. Redline is saying their D4 would work at three times the price of Dexron VI.
It's the same viscosity as Dexron III

EDIT: It's also the same viscosity as Redline D4.

surely you can get a bottle of supertech dextron fluid and it will meet the specification. I'd take a look at the bottle I bet it meets II and III

Discontinued.

I don't think 109240 is. 88865544 might be. RockAuto will let me order it now.

Amazon has it: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-9240-Professional-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B01EGOR40Y

I think the 88865544 was a GM number when it was still DEX licensed.

You can use the not-Dexron III mentioned above, but you might be better off with Pennzoil or Valvoline Synchromesh, GM Synchromesh, or Royal Purple Synchromax :unsure:

TES-295

Same viscosity as Dexron III, but full synthetic as Dexron VI…

Back