Best Mercon V Fluid for Ford/Mazda Manual Transmissions

I'm about to change the trans fluid on my 2002 Ford Ranger with 5 speed manual, was curious what everyone suggested for fluid? From my observations, Mercon V and compatible fluids are quite different depending on the brand and type. I'm still confused on Brookfield Viscosity, the variation in Mercon V fluid is considerable. I have compiled a list of known readily available Mercon V and Mercon V compatible fluid below. Any suggestions or experience would greatly appreciated.

1678911576970.jpg

I always liked the Castrol but honestly any of the Mercon V fluids will be fine to use. I would even use Super Tech. The application is not a high stress environment.

Your transmission isn't spec'd for Mercon V. That is for the automatic transmission. I would use actual manual transmission fluid in the link below, but apparently Mercon ??? is also allowed. From the owner's manual:

View attachment 145118

In 2002, when his Ranger was made, Mercon was still a valid specification from Ford.

It is no longer. Mercon V has replaced Mercon.

I have used Mercon V in a couple of Ford manual transmissions in place of Mercon with good results.

Last edited:
Your transmission isn't spec'd for Mercon V. That is for the automatic transmission. I would use actual manual transmission fluid in the link below, but apparently Mercon ??? is also allowed. From the owner's manual:

View attachment 145118

My owners manual says Mercon for the manual transmission. Supposedly, the new formulation of Mercon V is backwards compatible with Mercon. Ford no longer sells or licenses Mercon, just Mercon V. I looked at the specs for the Ford manual trans fluid, it specs significantly thicker then Mercon V fluid. :(

Currently, there are better options for your manual transmission than ATF. @MolaKule has compiled a list of choices based on viscosity, but I can't seem to locate it at this time. Hopefully, someone will post a link shortly.

I used the Redline D4 in my 2003 Ford Ranger XLT with the 2.3 liter engine and the 5-speed manual transmission for a decade. It shifted smoother (especially in cold weather) than any other Mercon ATF that I tried. I sold it to a friend in 2019 and it still shifts great today.

Highly recommended for that 5-speed application. The only drawback is that D4 has a "stronger" petroleum chemical smell than generic Mercon V, but that is only when you are filling the gearbox.

I was experiencing some notchy shifting (esp. 1-2) in my 2005 Ranger. I switched to RP Synchromax since it was closest in viscosity to Mercon according to Molakule's list.

FWIW, The RP eliminated about 95% on the notchyness. A huge improvement!

"...I can't seem to locate it at this time. Hopefully, someone will post a link shortly." This one?

NOTE: This list is only a “summary” list of MTFs available in the MTF Lubricant Market. It is not an endorsement nor a critique of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.

These MTL fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.X cSt@100C (About the same viscosity as Dexron VI ATF) and SAE 70 or so:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,
2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,
3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.
4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC
5. Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M65 5-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]
6. Redline MT-LV SAE Viscosity Grade 70W/75W Vis 6.5cst@100°C

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.0 to 7.6 cSt@100C versions (SAE 70W75) (About the same viscosity as the original DexronIII/Merc)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax
2. Ravenol MTF-2
3. Honda MTF
4. VW part number G052512A2
5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid
6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2 ,3
7. Tutelo (Petronus, Italy, Product Code 1402)
8. Pentosin Pro Gear 70W75 (Australia)
9.0 Pentosin FFL-4
10. Redline Power Steering Fluid R
11. AVENOL STF
12. Amsoil ATF
13 Redline D4

Note: C, D and E are often considered popularly as “synchromesh” fluids.

C.
The next higher viscosity MTL group is in the 8.0 cSt to 8.9 cSt Range would be:

1. Castrol Syntrans V FE (8.0cSt)
2. Redline DCTF Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid (8.1 cSt)
3, BG Synchroshift II (8.2 cSt)
4. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 8.8 cSt
5. RAVENOL PSA (8.9 cSt)
6. Millers Oils TRX SYNTH 75W80 8.7 cSt (Carries a GL-5 rating as well).

D. The next higher viscosity MTL group in the 9.0 to 9.5 cSt range is (SAE 75W80):

1. Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0 cSt
2. Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.0 cSt
3. RAVENOL SSG 9.5 cSt

E. The next group of MTL’s are in the 9.6 to 10.X cSt range (SAE 75W80):

1. Redline MTL 75W80
2. Amsoil MTF (9.7 cSt)
3. GM Synchromesh Series
4. Volvo MTF 645
5. Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic MTF (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Lodexol (Morris Lubricants) MTF
7. Motylgear 75W-80

F. The next higher viscosity MTL would be a 12.0cSt@100C and SAE 75W85:

1. Redline MT-85

G. The next higher viscosity MTLs in the 14-15 cSt (SAE 75W90) range would be:

1. Amsoil MTG
2. Redline MT-90
3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90
4. Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90
5. Ford XT-75W90-QGT (Carries a GL-5 rating as well)
6. Ford MOTORCRAFT® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid XT-M5-QS
7. ACDelco 10-4059 GL-4 75W-90 Manual Transmission Fluid
8. RAVENOL TSG SAE 75W-9
9. LIQUIMOLY 75W-90 GL4
10. PENNZOIL 75W90 GL-4
11. MOTUL GEAR 300 GL-4/GL-5 (PRODUCT NUMBER 100118)

Last edited:
I used the Redline D4 in my 2003 Ford Ranger XLT with the 2.3 liter engine and the 5-speed manual transmission for a decade. It shifted smoother (especially in cold weather) than any other Mercon ATF that I tried. I sold it to a friend in 2019 and it still shifts great today.

Highly recommended for that 5-speed application. The only drawback is that D4 has a "stronger" petroleum chemical smell than generic Mercon V, but that is only when you are filling the gearbox.
Thank you! I was looking for some real world experience of using MTF instead of ATF.

I was experiencing some notchy shifting (esp. 1-2) in my 2005 Ranger. I switched to RP Synchromax since it was closest in viscosity to Mercon according to Molakule's list.

Thanks for the recommendation!

I just checked RP's Transmission Lubricant Cross Reference chart, RP Synchromax is recommended by them for Ford ESP-M2C166-H Mercon applications (OEM fluid for the ranger).

1678975877950.jpg

Redline D4 is actually recommended by Redline for Mercon applications. I've narrowed down my choices to RP Synchromax or Redline D4. I'm sure they are both great fluids for Ford MTF applications.

1678976992191.jpg

or

Back