2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Transfer Case

Hello All,

I'm new here at BITOG. This question may have already been answered. I just can't seem to find it. I have a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 8L90 8 speed transmission. I performed a pan drop filter & fluid change on the transmission. I have some of the Mobil 1 LV ATF HP - Blue label transmission fluid leftover. I want to use the left over fluid to service the transfer case. The owners manual specifies to use Dexron VI. I'm almost positive that the Mobil 1 blue label should be OK to use. I just want to ask here if anyone has done it, or maybe get better opinions on this matter.

To my understanding that is Dexron HP, there is no official backwards compatibility listed to Dexron VI so I would not use it.

Thank you Furious.. I did not think of it that way. It may be harmful to my Auto 4wd system if that's the case. I'll just hang on to my leftover fluid for the next transmission service. Dexron VI is not expensive anyway. Thanks for the reply.

IMO GM transfer cases are not fussy. I’ve been using HD ATFs, some call them TES 995 clones for 10 years in GM 1500s and HDs.
I might try a synthetic THF that meets J20C&D just for fun.
Some drag racer’s use THF instead of ATF in high stall torque converter applications.

Back