same brand, but which one is the better oil?

All other things being equal, a "20K" or "extended protection" version of a product is usually a "better" formula than its "non-extended-life" ... but that depends on whether BITOG can agree on what constitutes "better" as it depends on application...

The Dexos 1 Gen3 + "20K miles" claims on the ultimate bottle mean that the oil is likely starting off with a higher TBN and better consideration for modern engine concerns like LSPI and aftertreatment compatibility. I would expect that to be the better oil. With that said, it's always possible they put the real magic in the other bottle and just decided not to take credit for it....
Not necessarily true. TBN does not deplete linearly, nor at the same rate for each oil. For reference, HPL’s PCMO has a 13.5 TBN on several lines, while their Euro line has a TBN of 11ish. Yet by all accounts the PCMO will last 15-20k; the Euro may last even longer.

“Ringer” oils aside, we’ve had white papers from Chevron and other VOA/UOA data to show that oils with TBNs in the 6.5-7 range can easily last 10-15k in highway use.

Ultimate protection 20k sounds like a better choice given the same price. Why would anyone buy the other one if it costs the same?
Online the UP is $24 and the regular is $21.48 for the 5w-30 variant. The ultimate price seems to vary by viscosity a little - the 5w-20 is cheaper for some reason?

I have found at my local walmarts they never update the price sticker on the shelf. My guess is at checkout these prices would match in store also, irrelevant of what the shelf says.

Why ultimate (if it supposed to be better) costs the same in walmart? Is it some kind of sales promotion, otherwise it does not make sense for both to be priced the same. Marketing confusion.
They're not priced the same.
As evident from this thread, they've confused their potential customers. It seems Old Ultimate was replaced by Full, which is being either replaced or supplemented with New 20K Ultimate. Or something like that ...

Back