same brand, but which one is the better oil?

guys forgive me for not understanding the technical lingo of the data sheets, but based on these specs, which one is the better oil? to me they seem fairly equal. are they? i tried searching google for what the terms mean but i cant make sense of it much. any help is appreciated though.

Attachments

• qsoil.jpg
    qsoil.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 215
Ultimate doesn't carry the dexos rating

Yeah it does man. QS Ultimate does carry the Dexos gen 3 approval on the containers.

To the original poster… Either oil is a very, very good oil to use. Just go by your vehicle manual for appropriate winter rating and operating viscosity needed and how long that change interval should be for your particular engine.

Last edited:
You won’t be able to tell much difference between spec sheets or VOA/UOAs, but the manufacturers specs they meet and suggested use life are good indicators from the blender. Since Ultimate is rated for up to 20k by QS I would call that a clue.

Yeah it does man. QS Ultimate does carry the Dexos gen 3 approval on the containers.

Tone original poster… Either oil is a very, very good oil to use. Just go by your vehicle manual for appropriate winter rating and operating viscosity needed and how long that change interval should be for your particular engine.
I didn’t catch that I would have thought it should. Thank you

Attachments

• same brand, but which one is the better oil  Bob Is The Oil Guy.jpeg.jpg
    same brand, but which one is the better oil Bob Is The Oil Guy.jpeg.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 46
Qs euro 5w-40 better yet, no the stealer isn't going to uoa your engine to see what you used and void the warranty which even then isn't likely to happen anyway. I'm already using qs 5w-40 in my 22k mile 21 escalade which calls for 0w-20. No I'm not concerned about anything.

when I purchased some Quaker State Full Synthetic recently I also tried to determine which was the better oil and found Quaker State's own site confusing on this matter...I could only locate Ultimate at Walmart and Full Synthetic and many other sellers but they appeared to be identical but for the supposed protection being longer with Ultimate which was not my concern so I purchased Full Synthetic...

Full Synthetic appears to be the current, top synthetic motor oil from Quaker State...

Bill

One slight clue is QS Full’s slightly lower pour point (& slightly lower visc. index)-that COULD indicate a slightly better base oil composition(?) Otherwise-yeah, the cheaper one!

All other things being equal, a "20K" or "extended protection" version of a product is usually a "better" formula than its "non-extended-life" ... but that depends on whether BITOG can agree on what constitutes "better" as it depends on application...

The Dexos 1 Gen3 + "20K miles" claims on the ultimate bottle mean that the oil is likely starting off with a higher TBN and better consideration for modern engine concerns like LSPI and aftertreatment compatibility. I would expect that to be the better oil. With that said, it's always possible they put the real magic in the other bottle and just decided not to take credit for it....

mdocod's opinion sounds about right. Two VOAs side-by-side will likely show us a difference in add-pack numbers.
Base Stock differences?...... I dunno. I sspect some Natural Gas base, mainly because the Ultimate in 5w30 is thinner viscosity than the default, vanilla QS Synthetic.

That's the norm with Natural Gas and SOPUS........ gets thinner - shears a little less and lasts longer.

Our Kia 2.0 MPI was NOT fond of Quaker State Euro 5w40 this past summer. I was expecting a quieter engine and instead, it got louder.
I've never had much luck with Quaker State products. My former S-10 with 4.3 used the 5w30 for 4k and the magnetic oil drain plug bolt was loaded with shiny silver shreds. That's the only time it happened and I owned that vehicle for 15 years, before donating it at 155k,to a desperate, needy family down my street.

[QUOTE="I QSFS is the newest naming iteration of it.[/QUOTE]
I thought that was the case, until I recently found "Ultimate" and "Full" versions in Walmart simultaneously. Unlike the earlier "Ultimate," now it carries the 20,000-mile claim and was priced slightly higher than "Full." I bought it, in case it's actually better. I had used "Full" for the previous oil change.

No Dexos Generation 3 claim on the 5W-20 version.

Why ultimate (if it supposed to be better) costs the same in walmart? Is it some kind of sales promotion, otherwise it does not make sense for both to be priced the same. Marketing confusion.

...and on Quaker State's own website you will find that both Full Synthetic and Ultimate Synthetic alternately listed as their top engine oil/premium choice...the only difference I can find is that Ultimate is listed at 20K miles while Full is listed as 10K for OCI...

Bill

Back