Sad day for me. Great day for my daughter in law.

Bladecutter

That was my thought too. Very generous move, but if they can’t keep up the vehicles they have, how will they keep this next one? Some pretty serious decisions about budgeting, spending, etc. need to occur.

It is great that they have reliable transport for now, and that OP has a hot new car!

Both of their current cars are well over the 300k mile mark, and have deteriorated to the point that they are unfit to drive, even though they have done their best to maintain them. You just can't repair Jeep rust, and wiring issues economically unless you know how to do the work yourself, and have the tools and knowledge to do so.

They did a good job with their 2 hand me down cars (the Corolla came from her aunt who passed away about 8 years ago), and her car especially is needed to get her to and from work, safely. Her Aunt was a Forest Ranger in Cali for many years, so the car has seen some interesting backroad use in its lifetime. Probably more than the Jeep.

Right now, we are going through a major snow event, so her having a vehicle that can get in and out of the mess that is Colorado's roads is more important than anything else that is going on.

The CX-5 has many more miles ahead of it, and I have a pile of Mazda oil filters and PP waiting for it every time it needs an oil change.
Just had the trans and coolant serviced at the Mazda dealer last week, and I had recently serviced the diff and transfer case oils myself, a few days after her 80k mile oil change last month.

I'm happy to say that both my daughter and my old car are both in great hands.

BC.

Bladecutter

But yes, I am not a fan of giving things to struggling adults who are at advanced stages in life, typically, unless a clear tragic event is defined (house fire, loss of spouse, etc). They are struggling for a reason.

Well, you do you, and I'll do me.

BC.

Reactions: Ws6
I've passed along several cars to relatives or friends that needed a reliable vehicle. My rule of thumb is to have them pay something, somewhere between a token amount and half the value. They get a really good deal on a reliable vehicle and I feel good about it.

Some of these vehicles have gone a long way in friends and relatives hands. [I sold an early '70s Buick Regal to my nephew for about half of what it was worth. He put 100,000 miles on it over several years and then sold it for more than he paid me. Now that's initiative.]

By the way that's a nice collection. Though I'm not a motorcycle guy, I admire the Ducati's. Seems to me a silver Ducati is something special.

You are absolutely correct that she is in fact my Step Daughter, but my personal feelings is that phrase has such negative connotations, its not worth saying. I should just call her my daughter, but that doesn't feel right, either. She was 16 when I first met her, so that isn't my role.

She is a fantastic person, however.

BC.

I almost said "or Daughter" I understand completely.

Congrats again on your new ride!

Indeed, congrats!! That Giulia is gorgeous just sitting still, even better on a twisty backroad.

And your generosity is inspiring, well done!

Now to the really important matters: what oil are you using in the Giulia???

• Haha
Reactions: Ws6

Bladecutter

Now to the really important matters: what oil are you using in the Giulia???

I haven't actually figured that out yet.
Alfa has an odd requirement in their oil spec (SN+ and MS-13340), that seems to be hard to find matches for.
And the way they have it worded is honestly confusing.