Sad day for me. Great day for my daughter in law.

That was my thought too. Very generous move, but if they can’t keep up the vehicles they have, how will they keep this next one? Some pretty serious decisions about budgeting, spending, etc. need to occur.

It is great that they have reliable transport for now, and that OP has a hot new car!

Both of their current cars are well over the 300k mile mark, and have deteriorated to the point that they are unfit to drive, even though they have done their best to maintain them. You just can't repair Jeep rust, and wiring issues economically unless you know how to do the work yourself, and have the tools and knowledge to do so.

They did a good job with their 2 hand me down cars (the Corolla came from her aunt who passed away about 8 years ago), and her car especially is needed to get her to and from work, safely. Her Aunt was a Forest Ranger in Cali for many years, so the car has seen some interesting backroad use in its lifetime. Probably more than the Jeep.

Right now, we are going through a major snow event, so her having a vehicle that can get in and out of the mess that is Colorado's roads is more important than anything else that is going on.

The CX-5 has many more miles ahead of it, and I have a pile of Mazda oil filters and PP waiting for it every time it needs an oil change.
Just had the trans and coolant serviced at the Mazda dealer last week, and I had recently serviced the diff and transfer case oils myself, a few days after her 80k mile oil change last month.

I'm happy to say that both my daughter and my old car are both in great hands.

BC.

I've passed along several cars to relatives or friends that needed a reliable vehicle. My rule of thumb is to have them pay something, somewhere between a token amount and half the value. They get a really good deal on a reliable vehicle and I feel good about it.

Some of these vehicles have gone a long way in friends and relatives hands. [I sold an early '70s Buick Regal to my nephew for about half of what it was worth. He put 100,000 miles on it over several years and then sold it for more than he paid me. Now that's initiative.]

By the way that's a nice collection. Though I'm not a motorcycle guy, I admire the Ducati's. Seems to me a silver Ducati is something special.

You are absolutely correct that she is in fact my Step Daughter, but my personal feelings is that phrase has such negative connotations, its not worth saying. I should just call her my daughter, but that doesn't feel right, either. She was 16 when I first met her, so that isn't my role.

She is a fantastic person, however.

BC.

I almost said "or Daughter" I understand completely.

Congrats again on your new ride!

Indeed, congrats!! That Giulia is gorgeous just sitting still, even better on a twisty backroad.

And your generosity is inspiring, well done!

Now to the really important matters: what oil are you using in the Giulia???

• Haha
Reactions: Ws6
Well, you do you, and I'll do me.

BC.
I’m with you here. This was a mature move of yours, there’s enough struggle currently with the corona and all other craziness that’s going on. I’d do the same in a heartbeat

Now to the really important matters: what oil are you using in the Giulia???

I haven't actually figured that out yet.
Alfa has an odd requirement in their oil spec (SN+ and MS-13340), that seems to be hard to find matches for.
And the way they have it worded is honestly confusing.

Well, thought I should update this thread a bit.

First off, after a smidge over a year, and a little past 8k miles, the wife demanded that we replace the Giulia with a Stelvio.

Loading the dogs into the sedan was a hassle. Both dogs are 12 years old, one of them has bad hips, and needs to be lifted into the car, and the angle of entry into the back seats of the Giulia was just plain bad. So we wanted to get another small (but not too small) suv again.

20220312_102821.jpg

The Giulia is the Alfa Rosso color, while the Stelvio is the Rosso Etna color.
Hard to tell in pictures, but the Etna is much, much nicer, having metallic flake in the paint, in comparison the to flat red paint of the Alfa Rosso.
It's a half shade lighter in color in comparison to the Mazda Soul Red Crystal, for example.

20220312_094520.jpg

I chose the Stelvio because getting a discount on one is easy.
And it looks simply fantastic.

Plus, my wife absolutely hated what Mazda has done with the CX-5's nose.
Was just not something she wanted to see every day.

As for my daughter, and the CX-5, well...

The CX-5 was totaled in a bad wreck she had.
1 week before we bought the Stelvio.

It had just over 92k miles on it.
My daughter came out of the accident without a scratch.
And that right there is why I wanted her to drive the CX-5 instead of that '99 Corolla.

Additionally, because of the crazy prices of used cars right now, USAA gave her over $22k for the CX-5, because of how well the car was maintained by me, all these years. So many new parts on the car just a few weeks before the accident.

New rotors, pads, and pad mounting hardware front and rear.
New serpentine belt, water pump belt, and serpentine belt tensioner.
The OEM wheels had never been curbed in 9 years (plus they got swapped out for the aftermarket wheels/tires during the warm months).

It was a sad day to learn of its death, but it kept her safe, so that's all that mattered to me and my wife.

And she wants to get a new CX-5 to replace it, so that shows how much the car meant to her.

I do wish she had gotten more than a year out of the car, but what can you do?
Sometimes life just goes that way.

Oh, and this last picture is for that person in the thread who doesn't like the nose on the Alfa's:

20220312_102800.jpg

Ah, one more won't hurt you:

20220312_170725.jpg

;)

BC.

Well, thought I should update this thread a bit.

First off, after a smidge over a year, and a little past 8k miles, the wife demanded that we replace the Giulia with a Stelvio.

Loading the dogs into the sedan was a hassle. Both dogs are 12 years old, one of them has bad hips, and needs to be lifted into the car, and the angle of entry into the back seats of the Giulia was just plain bad. So we wanted to get another small (but not too small) suv again.

View attachment 94514

The Giulia is the Alfa Rosso color, while the Stelvio is the Rosso Etna color.
Hard to tell in pictures, but the Etna is much, much nicer, having metallic flake in the paint, in comparison the to flat red paint of the Alfa Rosso.
It's a half shade lighter in color in comparison to the Mazda Soul Red Crystal, for example.

View attachment 94515

I chose the Stelvio because getting a discount on one is easy.
And it looks simply fantastic.

Plus, my wife absolutely hated what Mazda has done with the CX-5's nose.
Was just not something she wanted to see every day.

As for my daughter, and the CX-5, well...

The CX-5 was totaled in a bad wreck she had.
1 week before we bought the Stelvio.

It had just over 92k miles on it.
My daughter came out of the accident without a scratch.
And that right there is why I wanted her to drive the CX-5 instead of that '99 Corolla.

Additionally, because of the crazy prices of used cars right now, USAA gave her over $22k for the CX-5, because of how well the car was maintained by me, all these years. So many new parts on the car just a few weeks before the accident.

New rotors, pads, and pad mounting hardware front and rear.
New serpentine belt, water pump belt, and serpentine belt tensioner.
The OEM wheels had never been curbed in 9 years (plus they got swapped out for the aftermarket wheels/tires during the warm months).

It was a sad day to learn of its death, but it kept her safe, so that's all that mattered to me and my wife.

And she wants to get a new CX-5 to replace it, so that shows how much the car meant to her.

I do wish she had gotten more than a year out of the car, but what can you do?
Sometimes life just goes that way.

Oh, and this last picture is for that person in the thread who doesn't like the nose on the Alfa's:

View attachment 94518

Ah, one more won't hurt you:

View attachment 94519

;)

BC.
Nice! i like the color. The front does remind me of a Pikachu! ( When my son was a child it was a favorite character, i know nothing about a pikachu!)

1648603790835.jpg

1648604057033.jpg

I've passed along several cars to relatives or friends that needed a reliable vehicle. My rule of thumb is to have them pay something, somewhere between a token amount and half the value. They get a really good deal on a reliable vehicle and I feel good about it.

Some of these vehicles have gone a long way in friends and relatives hands. [I sold an early '70s Buick Regal to my nephew for about half of what it was worth. He put 100,000 miles on it over several years and then sold it for more than he paid me. Now that's initiative.]

By the way that's a nice collection. Though I'm not a motorcycle guy, I admire the Ducati's. Seems to me a silver Ducati is something special.
one of my sons and his wife always find a needy family in their town and then donate their old cars to that family once they acquire new vehicles for themselves. They ID the needy folks thru a local church.

So says the person named after an event that killed over 11k Starfleet Officers.
I think your thought processes are suspect, and your eyes need to be recalibrated.

;)

BC.

So says the person named after an event that killed over 11k Starfleet Officers.
I think your thought processes are suspect, and your eyes need to be recalibrated.

;)

BC.
I think your thought processes are suspect. Wolf359 is just the name of a star system. Star trek is fiction.

So on Friday night, my wife and I delivered our 2014 Mazda CX-5 to my wife's daughter and her husband.
Just shy of 8 years, and 81,400 miles, it has been a fantastic car for us.
My DIL needs a car that actually doesn't have 2 and 1/2 tires in the junkyard, which is a generous way to describe her 99 Corolla in its current state.
Their Jeep Cherokee is currently dead, and they have been borrowing his fathers Tundra for months in order to get back and forth to work and university every day.

I am extremely sad to see it go, as I had grown very attached to it.

In order to prepare myself for what occurred on Friday night, we picked up this little red number:

View attachment 49300
View attachment 49301

2021 Giulia AWD.
Only 16 miles on it when we took it for the test drive, and it is a great driving sedan.

So the garage now contains 5 Italians and 1 German.

View attachment 49302

But the most important thing is that my DIL now has a great car, and doesn't have to drive around in a worn out car anymore.

BC.
delete

Back