Saab 9-5 Linear w/ Bad Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a chance to buy a 2003 9-5 Linear with a bad turbo. I'm wondering whether it's worth getting involved with it. Replacement doesn't look too bad, and it seems as if it might be a good opportunity to swap the original Garrett turbo with a Mitsubishi.

Any advice?

Hard to give advice with such little information. Is the vehicle in spectacular condition and a steal or something?

You must have the tools and capabilities to replace the turbo? If so and the price is right why not?

If that's all that's wrong, and the price is otherwise right, why not?

A turbo replacement is not overly involved. Just expensive.

Depends on the condition of the rest of the car. Turbos are expensive to replace, like others have said. Be ready to replace other items like the piping, intercooler, and MAP/boost sensor if it's really bad.

Is the car <=$500? If no pass. My brother has the nicer Aero and its a money pit.

Hello, Being it's a Linear I am pretty sure it's a 2.3L (4 cyl.).
Go ahead and get it. Very good cars. WE got an '05 Aero in the stable now. We sold the '02 Linear to our friend's son (at the parents insistence).
I drive a '99 "t". Little t = low pressure turbo-a Linear before the name was coined. "T" = high pressure turbo-Aero before the term was coined.

Check for oil sludge. The likely reason the turbo went is because the owner was an imbecile who failed to keep it filled with A3,B3 oil. Change it every 5K. No problems. Kira

The car is very clean and has 45k miles or so. It looks as if I could get the parts I need for between $350 and $500, maybe less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ET16
The car is very clean and has 45k miles or so. It looks as if I could get the parts I need for between $350 and $500, maybe less.

Sounds about right for the price! If the rest of the car is clean, could be a mechanics special!

I have to ask myself though...Why did the turbo fail @ 45k?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I have to ask myself though...Why did the turbo fail @ 45k?

Likely a lack of oil changes. Those will do quite a number of bad things to a turbo.

Turbos don't normally go out that early.

Unless the seller can give you a rock solid alternate explanation, I'd be taking a very close look at the crankcase.

Like others have hinted, it could have been maintenance-starved.

I think the general rule is not to put more money into it, than you can sell it for. So don't buy the car at normal price minus the cost of a turbo, because you don't know if it needs an engine too.

I was wondering why the turbo went, too. The carfax looks good, with timely oil changes, but '03 is still a sludge year for Saabs.

Dealer wants $3200. This seems high to me.

$3,200 for an 11 year old car, that's no longer made, with a bad turbo? Definitely a no-go.

They came down to $2995, but then they add almost $1,000 in fees, for a total of $3,905!

They are going to have to wholesale it if they don't sell it to me. I thought they were going to be more reasonable.

Every red warning light is going off. Any dealer charging $1000 in fees for a car they are asking $3K is not someone with whom you want to do business.

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

DangerWillRobinson.jpg

They came down to $2995, but then they add almost $1,000 in fees, for a total of $3,905!

They are going to have to wholesale it if they don't sell it to me. I thought they were going to be more reasonable.

Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back