S&W Third Generation Auto Facelift

I decided to give a bit of a facelift to one of my S&W 5946's with a new set of Turkish Walnut grips from Tactical Makgrips. These are one piece grips, (glued and finished as one), that are very nicely manufactured. They give you a new steel mainspring housing cap that installs into a "pocket" that's machined into the grips. This allows them to fit without screws, much like the factory plastic grips, and be retained with the original mainspring retention pin.

Installation was pretty straightforward. Simply remove the old grips by driving out the retaining pin with a 1/8" BRASS punch. Then carefully massage the new one piece grips into position by pushing upward and forward, while rocking them back in forth to allow all the cutouts to line up with everything.

The last 1/4" or so is the toughest, because you are fighting the tension of the mainspring, while getting the holes in the grip to line up properly with the new mainspring housing that is provided with the grips. Then press the pin in with finger pressure to get it started, then tap it back into place.

They feel good, and look a lot better than the factory plastic grips. The checkering is nice, but not overly aggressive. And the gun feels good in the hand. If anyone has one of these 5900 series pistols, it's a nice and easy way to dress them up a bit. I can't decide what to do with the other one. I might try a set of Hogue smooth Pau Ferro grips to see how they look. Or else go with another set of these.

JkCUO6Y.jpg

That looks nice. 3rd Gen S&W autos are some of the most under-rated guns out there, though they really have jumped in appreciation the last decade. I only have one right now but would always pick up another at the right price. Those grips really do look both functional and nice on that gun.

That looks nice. 3rd Gen S&W autos are some of the most under-rated guns out there, though they really have jumped in appreciation the last decade. I only have one right now but would always pick up another at the right price. Those grips really do look both functional and nice on that gun.
The only issue I have with the design of the grips themselves, is the small hole in the lower right of the grip where the grip itself, as well as the mainspring cap is held in place by the retention pin. There isn't a lot of material there, and it makes it a bit on the delicate side.

In this regard plastic / polymer grips are better suited from a durability standpoint. But the pin itself doesn't have too much pressure transfering to the grips themselves. But with them being made from Walnut they're not as durable as plastic.

The gun isn't going to be getting any rough handling, so I'm sure they'll be fine. I should add that you can get them with either gold or silver accent on both the Smith & Wesson banner and logo.

The only issue I have with the design of the grips themselves, is the small hole in the lower right of the grip where the grip itself, as well as the mainspring cap is held in place by the retention pin. There isn't a lot of material there, and it makes it a bit on the delicate side.

In this regard plastic / polymer grips are better suited from a durability standpoint. But the pin itself doesn't have too much pressure transfering to the grips themselves. But with them being made from Walnut they're not as durable as plastic.

The gun isn't going to be getting any rough handling, so I'm sure they'll be fine. I should add that you can get them with either gold or silver accent on both the Smith & Wesson banner and logo.

I do see your point; one of the limits of getting a nice grip on a double stack is the thinning back there if you want a really good ergonomic grip. Boy those do look nice with that gold foil or however that is done on the wood. That's handsome. I haven't seen that before.

I'm a little bit of a perfectionist with regard to grips; I like matching them very carefully to the gun aesthetically. One of my projects awaiting wet weather (when I can't be outside working) is I have a set of bonded ivory grips for an Old Model Blackhawk. They will need filing and fitting to the frame, then I have vintage medallions to inlet with a Forstner bit and fit and secure. My point being, I don't mind that much fiddling and work to get a good look and fit. And THOSE grips look and fit nicely on that gun so well, I'm surprised it's an "out of the box" fit. That looks great.

The only 3rd gen I have right now is a 908S (the "working man's" 3913 - cheaper blued version). It still has the original plastic grips on it. You are making me want to dress it up.

I’m a big fan of the 3rd generation autos, my first gun was a 5906 and I carried it in combat 30+ years ago.

Those grips look sweet. Very nice. Wonder if I should dress up my old 5906.

Well, I have some bad news to report. Unfortunately I was worried about this with these grips, but took a chance anyway, and purchased them over the Hogue 2 piece grips. Only because they looked so good.

About a week ago I looked at the gun and found a rather large crack in the narrow area from the bottom of the grip, running up through the retaining pin hole, and further up into the checkering.

The crack was very visible, quite wide, and was created no doubt, from the constant pressure of the mainspring pushing down in that small, weak area of the wood. That thin, small amount of wood is just not strong enough to support that type of stress. (The stock Polymer grips are much more durable in this area).

So I ordered a set of Hogue smooth Pau Ferro grips that use a screw to attach the grip to the gun without any pressure from the guns mainspring. They were a bit tricky to install. I had to ream the hole in the mainspring retainer they provide, in order to get the pin through without using too much force. (Hogue mentions this in the instructions). I had an oversize 1/8" reamer, so it was an easy fix. I'm sure a drill would have worked just as well, as the retainer is Polymer.

Anyway they fit like a glove, and look great. I just wish I would have followed my instincts and gone with them in the first place. The rest of you can learn from my bad choice. The Makgrips are beautiful, but not very practically designed if they cracked from just sitting.

I have no doubt they would have cracked immediately upon firing any fair amount of rounds through the weapon. It would have added much more tension to the weakened area by pulling the trigger, and thereby compressing the mainspring even more.... Live and learn.

You can see the crack in the lower photo, in the lower right hand corner. It extends across the hole, and up into the checkering above it.

RMf13sU.jpg

ZsB7ITM.jpg

I should mention on the Hogue's, which are 2 piece, the seam on the backstrap is flawless, and it lines up perfectly. I was worried there would be a mismatch.... There was none.

If your frame was blue or black the Makgrips would make it pop. Wood grips usually make a blued or black frame/silver slide "pop".

Back