"New / Old" Smith & Wesson 5946 Stainless 9 MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Those Blue Book prices don't mean anything on guns.

For used value perhaps not. But they're accurate on dates of manufacture, along with the last listed MSRP. In this case $751.00 in 1999. (The 1999 edition of Gun Digest confirms that price). So paying $49.00 more than that, for a brand new gun in the factory box, almost 2 decades later isn't bad at all. Sure, one could argue that no one pays MSRP for guns.

Adjusted for inflation, $751 is $1118 today. Nice find. If I was in the market for that type of gun, I't be all over one of those. I'm more of a revolver guy and my Sig 225 fills that niche.

Ed

Yesterday I took them to the indoor range near me and lit both of them up. It was too hot, (111F) to shoot outside. I first field stripped both pistols, and liberally greased the frame and slides, and gave them a good general lube job. I took plenty of both 115 and 124 Gr. FMJ, as well as some open nose self defense ammo, just to make sure they would both feed it. I had some +P Gold Dot, and some older Remington Sabers. The FMJ was Magtech, Sellier & Bellot, Winchester NATO, along with a bunch of PPU Serbian stuff. I also took all 6 magazines that were supplied with both weapons, to be sure they all ran correctly.

To make a long story short, both guns ran flawlessly. Not a single hiccup. All magazines, all ammo, in both guns. Never skipped a beat. I tried to be sure I ran every mag in both guns, with as much different ammunition as I could. I'm pretty sure I did, but with 2 guns and 6 magazines, along with so much different brand and weight ammo, I might have missed one or two. It really doesn't matter because I'm totally convinced both of these weapons are as reliable as they could possibly be. Both guns fed, shot, and ejected everything I put in them with 100% reliability. I will say the last round was tough to get in the mags. If I didn't have my Uplula with me, I would have been in trouble getting the last round in. The mags did loosen up somewhat near the end of the session. I'm sure like most magazines, this will get better with time and use.

What pleasantly surprised me were the triggers. These are the first 2 double action only semi auto pistols I've ever owned. Both triggers were very easy for me to get used to. Both were very predictable as to let off. I'm not very, "trigger sensitive", but these service pistols were quite good overall in the trigger department. I did not find the DAO to be any kind of disadvantage what so ever on these service pistols. Both guns printed dead on with a shallow 6 O'clock hold. I could pick up either one, and it would print identical to the other. Not much difference in point of impact between ammo either. And neither gun damaged the brass at all. Most of the shooting was at 15 to 20 yards. With some all the way back at 25 yards.

I expected good performance from both of these guns, and they didn't disappoint. All total I ran through a little over 420 rounds through both guns. The ammo was shot equally between both weapons. Overall I left the range very satisfied with both purchases. The worst part was the cleanup afterward. As you can imagine, cheap FMJ ammo shoots pretty filthy, and both guns were extremely dirty. And cleaning them outside in triple digit temperature was no picnic either. But you have to pay to play. Both guns field stripped easily, and cleaned up nice with a good clean Kerosene wash, and a blow dry with compressed air. A light oiling, and they are now cleaner than when I took them from the box.

In conclusion, I would say for anyone looking for a really nice, all Stainless Steel service pistol, Don't hesitate to pull the trigger on one of these Cabela's S&W's. You won't be disappointed if you do. These weapons shoot, and are every bit as accurate and dependable as they look.

That's Great!
cheers3.gif

Stopped at Cabelas today to look at these. They had one out in the case, but the rear sight had two big rust spots on them! Gun feels nice and I'm sure is a great shooter. Maybe someday...

Man, I hope Cabela's hands out plenty of lube with that price. Not that they've ever really been fair on anything I've seen.

3rd Gen S&W autos are great guns. Personally, I couldn't do a DAO, especially at that price, but they'll last forever. It's too bad they don't have a run of 5906s or 4506s.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Adjusted for inflation, $751 is $1118 today. Nice find. If I was in the market for that type of gun, I't be all over one of those. Ed

Yes, when you factor in almost 2 decades of Inflation, it makes the price look even better. Especially when you compare it directly to all the other 100% Stainless Steel defense pistols out there, along with their present out the door street prices similarly equipped.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Good looking weapons!

I had a 469 that I simply hated only because it was a pain in the neck to put back together after cleaning. Taking it apart was no trouble but getting it back together left me cussing it every time.

Where did you experience the difficulty in reassembly?

Reassembly involves depressing the decocking lever and the magazine disconnect lever to let the slide back onto the receiver. Other than that, the Gen 3 S&W autos were their best. The DAO models were aimed mainly at the law enforcement agencies that were on the double-action only bandwagon.

I'm skeptical re: bright 18 plus year old tritium sites, but nice gun regardless! They make a nice club when they are out of rounds

Originally Posted By: hatt
I had a 5904 and hated the DA/SA. I wonder how good you can get these DAO triggers. $800 isn't bad for a quality all steel gun these days. These all stainless guns will be working fine for the next couple hundred years.

Re-read this post when scrolling looking for something else.

I got about 75 rounds through a new one of these recently... the trigger takes up smoothly, then hits a resistance point, but very smoothly and easily overcomes that and fires. Sort of what I understand a two stage trigger to be.

I was shooting targets at 15 yards, slowly and methodically, and got into a straightforward rhythm of taking up the trigger to a resistance point, then knowing it would break with a little force to overcome that point. No idea how that would translate to a more rapid fire scenario, but it was a deliberate and straightforward pull to get right.

Sort of like shooting a DA revolver as SA, only using just one finger. You deliberately cock the revolver; you deliberately take up the trigger in the DAO action IME. Haven't been able to compare it to a DAK trigger with its differing pulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back