S&W 317

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Ive always liked the S&W model 317 (and model 17, IIRC, the k-frame version, as a revolver that would be cheap to shoot and enjoyable.

I'd like a .22LR revolver, can I do better than the 317 (Im kind of leaning towards the 317 so I have two different frames, as I have a 686 revolver). My main intent would be top notch accuracy, the ability to build-up or customize if I want to be really serious, and then the ability to have fun shooting .22LR at the range, which is nice and cheap still, compared to other calibers.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

JMH

I'd for sure go with the Smith. Ruger chambers .22LR in an old school tank single action. Taurus also chambers it in a super compact snubby.

Maximum accuracy will not come from an aluminum gun IMHO. You want a fairly heavy gun. I still shoot my Dad's 17 that he bought in the 50's. The hammer hook actually wore out several years ago and had to replace that, but all else is great.

I really like the new 617 with 10 shot cylinders.

The 317 would be a great carry gun for camping or hiking though.

Best accuracy will come from an auto loader. The forcing cone jump is not conducive to accuracy.

If a revolver is what you want, no need to bring it up, but have to agree with Tempest. A Ruger .22 auto can really be made a great shooter with a few minor mods.

Allways been a Colt fan. Own several Pythons, just never found a Diamondback when finances and inclination were both present.

Bob

The K22 / Model 17 are excellent guns. I like the 6 shot and bought mine used quite a few years ago.

Its very accurate as is most .22lr pistols. Every one I own is as good as they can be. (both semi-auto and revolver).

Look for a used K22 / Model 17. They will never loose their value (I bought mine for $175, can sell it for 3 times that now)

The Ruger single six is nice also. It can also shoot .22mag with a different cylinder. One trick is to take one leg off the spring and the trigger is VERY nice.

I prefer the Ruger Mark II over the III. Very nice shooter.

Browning Buckmarks are hit and miss. If you get a good one you are good to go, they are picky about ammo and hard to clean.

One of my first guns was a Colt Woodsman and Diamondback. Sold them in the 70s for larger caliber guns (.357 mag and .45acp pistols which I still have).

Wish I still had the Woodsman and Diamondback. They would be worth a little change.

Take care, Bill

PS: Here is a nice find... Clean used Model 17 S&W

If you want a fun good shooting wheel gun 22LR. I would take a look at the S&W newer 617 10 shot with a 6" barrel. The extra weight of the 617 over the 317 is an advantage for target shooting IMO.

Quote:
My main intent would be top notch accuracy, the ability to build-up or customize if I want to be really serious, and then the ability to have fun shooting .22LR at the range,
I also would take a look around at the Ruger Mark IIs 6 7/8 bull barrel or 10" bull barrel 22LR. Sadly they no longer make the Ruger Mark IIs, but good clean used ones are still out there. These are some of the best shooting 22s for the money ever made IMO.

The Ruger Mark III are available new and most seem to shoot well but I was not so enthusiastic about some of the changes done to the Mark IIIs compared to the Mark IIs.

Ive been looking at the ruger single six a bit too...

Curious if there is any benefit or reason to go with a .17 vs a .22??? .22LR is more readily available, but any other thoughts?

Thanks,

JMH

You may want to check out Rimfire Central forums if you want to read lots of information on RFs. Link

"Curious if there is any benefit or reason to go with a .17 vs a .22??? .22LR is more readily available, but any other thoughts?"

ABSOLUTELY NONE That come to my mind!!
21.gif

Bob

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive been looking at the ruger single six a bit too...

Curious if there is any benefit or reason to go with a .17 vs a .22??? .22LR is more readily available, but any other thoughts?

Thanks,

JMH

I haven't looked up the price, but I would imagine .22 to be much cheaper.
Ammo is going to do nothing but go up.

If you want a really good target quality .22 pistol, 2 come to mind. I have not kept up with whats available from S&W, but the model 41 is a great target pistol. They came in both 5 & 7 inch barrel lenghts. Great gun. The other is High Standard. I have a HS Olympic grade .22 pistol that is a very accurate pistol. I know its no longer available, but you can still find them. Both guns would do you right in the accuracy department and are very reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back