Ryobi Weed Wacker burns bearing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we closed on the house. But like all great things, it needs some work.
The grass was about 3' tall in the back yard, well past my knees. So Wedensday night I hit the yard with Triasicide and every ant mound I could find with amdro.
While going over the back yard I found a stump hidden by the grass.
Thursday morning I got out the new $99.99 weed wacker, read throuh the instructions and made sure that I could wack the tough stuff right away. I didn't want to torch the small engine before it got broken in. The manuel said to run it at full speed when cutting grass, nothing about a break in period.

I started easy, going round the driveway, doing a full throttle and letting it idle under no load, thinking that it would help "blow out" the break in material of the 2 cycle engine.
About half way around the fenced in backyard I start hearing this rattle from the engine.
I think to myself "Huh, that's a new noise." Then go back to work thinking that the rattle is just a loose screw or bolt in the plastic heat shielding. A few seconds the engine stops, and I cannot restart it.
The smoke and smell coming from the heat shield smelled like a burned up clutch. "Uh oh!".
I kept the recipt, but never got 1/2 way through my yard. I read the manuel, added the oil that came with it to the gas just as discribed in the manuel. And I still burned up something.

Well, just to make sure I would have to use the return policy. I decided on Friday to give it another shot at the rest of the back yard. It started up fine, and ran for about 10 minutes.
Then that rattle. I guess in a 22 cubic centimeter 2 stroke mower a knock sounds more like a rattle.
"Their is that sound again." I thought. A few seconds later the thing stopped, and I couldent restart it again. Their was that same terrible smell.

My dad has a similar machine, and his has lasted in a similar sized yard for 5 years now.

I was kind of thinking about trading up, and adding a tiny bit of Pennsoil TWC-3 Synthetic Blend Marine 2 cycle oil to the mix that I already have, just to help with the "break in" of the tiny weed wacker. And seeing if that worked.

I still dont understand how I burned something up. But perhaps it was the Chinese manufacture.
So my question is. Should I go back and get another one? Or should I trade up to something else?

Get on down to your local Stihl dealer and pick up an FS-45 for $149.95. Have him sell you some Stihl blended oil ( black bottle ) and you'll be set. Mix the oil at 50:1, just like it says on the bottle.

Good luck :)

I would take it back. After dealing with poor performance of low end weed eaters I purchased an ECHO. Mine was $99.00 from Home Depot (end of the season return of basically new trimmer). My stepfather has one 20 years old. Runs like a new one. Echo has a 5 year warranty for new ones if it non-commercial use.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Get on down to your local Stihl dealer and pick up an FS-45 for $149.95. Have him sell you some Stihl blended oil ( black bottle ) and you'll be set. Mix the oil at 50:1, just like it says on the bottle.

Good luck :)

That Stihl looks nice. I have heard a lot of great things about that brand.

Ryobi, Weedeater, Craftsman... are pretty much all junk. the carb may be running lean on yours, which can cause the motor to overheat, the piston expands, and stops running. once it cools, its good for awhile.

I echo the advice of others: buy a commerciial brand: Stihl, Echo, Tanaka, Honda. It will last alot longer and cause alot less grief. I also highly recommend using Echo or Stihl oil and mixing it at 50:1 (or whatever the unit calls for) I believe the echo oil is a semi-synthetic and also contains fuel stabilizers.

very important!!!! winterize the unit properly at the end of the season and dont keep the gas for use next season. 2 cycle engines and carbs are especially sensitive to fuel and oil quality and frewshness. I actually run premium in mine. oh, and engines this small should not require a richer breakin mix (this is according to a friend who owns a yard equipment, snowmobile, and atv dealer. he is a great mechanic - and I LOVE the Echo equip I got from him. oh, and of course the snowmobiles and atv.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Ryobi, Weedeater, Craftsman... are pretty much all junk. the carb may be running lean on yours, which can cause the motor to overheat, the piston expands, and stops running. once it cools, its good for awhile.

I echo the advice of others: buy a commerciial brand: Stihl, Echo, Tanaka, Honda. It will last alot longer and cause alot less grief. I also highly recommend using Echo or Stihl oil and mixing it at 50:1 (or whatever the unit calls for) I believe the echo oil is a semi-synthetic and also contains fuel stabilizers.

very important!!!! winterize the unit properly at the end of the season and dont keep the gas for use next season. 2 cycle engines and carbs are especially sensitive to fuel and oil quality and frewshness. I actually run premium in mine. oh, and engines this small should not require a richer breakin mix (this is according to a friend who owns a yard equipment, snowmobile, and atv dealer. he is a great mechanic - and I LOVE the Echo equip I got from him. oh, and of course the snowmobiles and atv.

Solid advice, The craftsman, Poulan and weedeater are rebadged versions of the same, I am not sure on the Ryobi, but think it shares the same genes. However, they all come set notoriously lean for emissions. There is a 3$ tool used on Zama and Walbro carbs (Splined, D, DD, pacman depending on your model) to adjust your carb. If you tweak the cheap ones rich, use synthetic oil and store them poperly (run them out of gas), they can last years.

The Echo, Stihl, Tanaka are better built and require less efort, to run well longer. Note they use the same carb manufacturers, the cheaper makes use.

I went and returned the 2nd Ryobi new in box and paid $79 more for a Echo.
I dont have it in front of me, but I will write down the model number when I get a chance.

Never again will I buy a Ryobi. It just isnt worth the hassle.
Its amaizing that Home Depot still offers them when there are so many bad reviews online.

My $49.95 weedeater runs great after 3 seasons now and i beat it like a red headed step child so i can get something better when she blows!, looks like i got something better now.
LOL.gif

GO WEEDEATER!!!!!!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back