Honda HRX217HYA-First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought it and mowed my yard. I have a half acre total suburban lot so maybe 2/3 of that is mowable. Grass was 6-7" and damp in spots on the bottom half.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a dyed-in-the-wool 2-stroke fan. I've been mowing with my 1996 Gold Series, aluminum deck Lawn Boy since I bought it new. It may be the fastest, lightest, best cutting residential mower ever produced. Alas, it is a victim of the EPA-which has made me determined to preserve it at all costs. It was in the shop for its once-every-three-year maintainance then broke down after a couple of mowings, so it's back in the shop. [Turns out the ignition coil broke.] I had no reliable backup so starting shopping.

I chose this particular Honda because it has: larger 190cc engine; blade clutch; riding mower type hydrostatic transmission with nine speed settings; composite deck and 4-in-1 "Versamow" system. I purchased from Runyon's Equipment Rental which offers full sales and service. They had models pre-assembled so I didn't have to fool with putting the thing together. All I had to do was gas and go. And that was the first issue. The gas opening is tiny. Even using a one gallon gas can, I overflowed the small tank (more on that later) on my brand new mower. Good thing it wasn't hot. The mower basically works as advertised. I experimented with Versamow but found that speed was really the key to eliminating clumps of cutting while mulching. On my tallest, thickest grass, I had to slow down to setting 4-5 which is slower than I would normally mow. Height adjustment was at maximum 4". But, as I stated, the grass was abnormally long and somewhat damp. The primary issue with this mower is weight. At 96 lbs dry, this thing is a heavyweight compared to my AL LB. my forearms we're pumped up after all the turnarounds I have to do on this smallish yard. I especially appreciate the blade clutch as I could stop to pick up debris I didn't want to run over and not have to restart the engine. This will be especially helpful for me in the fall when bagging with some leaf coverage. Finally, I ran out of gas before completing one mowing of my yard.

I suppose this Honda represents the state-of-the-art of the current crop of EPA 4-strokes but for everyday mowing, I'll be choosing my 20 year old 2-stroke.

Last edited:
Specs say the Honda gas tank is only .25gl. The Lawn Boy's is no doubt bigger but it will go twice as far on a fill.

I bought a LB 2-stroke push mower back in 2003. The coil died on it once and the carb was replaced while still under warranty. The new coil was made in Germany. The repair shop I got the coil from said to use a business card to set the coil gap.

I never cared much for the plastic deck Hondas because they seem to bounce around a lot on uneven tuff. They almost seem too light. 96 pounds isn't very heavy...it is compared to an AL deck Lawn-Boy, but it's pretty light compared to new machines. My AL deck Honda, a commercial series mower, weighs in at a hefty 125+ pounds. In comparison, my Lawn-Boy 10330, can't weigh any more than about 65 or 70.

I just sold a '96 Lawn-Boy Gold. Mine was a 10524...probably similar to yours. I never was able to get it running very well. I also have an 8157, but plan to sell it, too. I mowed with a L-B as a kid, but can't quite get into the 2-stroke thing today. Both of my L-B F engines are so loud, hearing protection is required. My two Hondas purr along in comparison.

Ignition coil failures are common on the 2-stroke Lawn-Boys. Fortunately, they're cheap and easy to replace. Watch out for the plastic carburetors, too -- they warp. My '96 has a plastic carburetor that I had to sand down to make the flange flush. My 8157 uses a better metal Walbro that works good. It needs a new throttle cable, though. Cheapest I can find it for us about $45. So it its quietly in the shed until I can justify the cost to fix it...

Honda is an engine company first. They then make things like cars, bikes, and mowers, to put their engines in.

I have been very pleased with every honda engine I've owned, including the mowers. If they get a knock against them, it would be that the engines are almost too precise and aren't as tolerant of dust, crummy fuel, and imprecise treatment as older briggs and tec's are. That's requires a different mindset in dirty, dusty OPE use. In my experience they sip fuel and burn clean and will go an entire season without consuming oil. (NOTE, if you run them hard, they will overwhelm thinner oils--- I had one that had problems with M1 5-30).

I'm sure, though, they have a different performance curve than what you are used to. Kinda of hard to avoid that -- 2 stroke to a 4 stroke OHC. It is suprising to read that the 2-stroke burned less fuel. I do however agree- I wish mine had larger fuel tank--- mulching with that double-stacked honda blade is effective but loads it up pretty good, assuming that's what you have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
Kinda of hard to avoid that -- 2 stroke to a 4 stroke OHC. It is suprising to read that the 2-stroke burned less fuel. I do however agree- I wish mine had larger fuel tank--- mulching with that double-stacked honda blade is effective but loads it up pretty good, assuming that's what you have.

I'm not suggesting the LB burned gas slower than the Honda, just that it goes farther on a tank of fuel. Probably just a capacity issue. I was mulching 100% with the Honda on a slower than normal setting because my grass was so high so maybe it can make a complete mowing on a tank under lighter duty.

I'm not knocking the Honda. I bought it because based on everything I read, it is the best mower on the market. More a lament of the demise of my beloved lightweight 2-strokes.

Thanks for the review. I am looking at that very mower. I have the Honda HRB216HXA that is 13 years old. It is getting some issues in the tranny and I cant repair it, just replace it for a hefty sum!

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
The primary issue with this mower is weight. At 96 lbs dry, this thing is a heavyweight compared to my AL LB. my forearms we're pumped up after all the turnarounds I have to do on this smallish yard.

I mowed a little bit last night with my heavy Honda (HR215SXA), and thought about your post more. In addition to the weight difference, what I bet you're feeling is a difference in balance as well. One of the Lawn-Boy's strengths, in my opinion, is its balance. A couple of things combine to give the mower a very neutral feel. The engine is lighter. The staggered front wheel moves some weight rearward. The large opening in the top of the deck in the front (for the bagging chute or mulch plate) removes weight from the front. The heavy handle on a Gold series (with the engine and transmission speed controls on the control panel) adds weight to the rear. Those aluminum-decked Lawn-Boys have in inherent balance to them. Combine that with the excellent ergonomics of the handle (once the flywheel brake bail is pulled down, you can pull up on the drive bail with just a thumb or a few fingers), and those Lawn-Boys are a real joy to use. I'm not a 2-cycle fan myself, but I have a 4-stroke staggered-wheel Lawn-Boy that I enjoy (a '99 10330). With a staggered-wheel Lawn-Boy, you can very easily mow your entire yard with one hand (keeping your other hand free to hold a beverage!).

Moreso with my heavy Honda, but probably with yours as well, I had to learn to let the mower do the work. You can't flick it around like you can the Lawn-Boy. You can't just pull up on the drive bail with a finger or two. You have to get behind the handle and push the drive bail forward (or maybe yours has the thumb controls). Let it stop, tilt the handle down, rotate the mower, release, then continue forward progress.

A staggered-wheel Lawn-Boy is probably the most ergonomic mower ever invented. Few are its equal.

I've now used the Honda mower three times and I'm getting more used to it. I've done some bagging and must say this has to be the best bagging scheme on he market. Super easy on-off and dumping of the bag. This coupled with the blade clutch keeping the engine running makes bagging a breeze. And, I'm still cutting on its highest setting (4) and it does a good job while cutting this high.

Hokie-Im thinking about your comments on the one-handed ease of the LB and you're right-this Honda requires two hands, one for the drive bale and one for the blade clutch. I've learned to use the drive blade as a reversing tow bar when backing up and that has helped. I'm getting better at filling up the gas tank. It's still too small in capacity and fill hole but if you fill it in bright sunlight, you can see down inside it enough to see the gas coming up.

Last edited:
I've been using a Honda HRR216VKA and love it. My only regret is not getting the HRX217VKA - for the larger engine and Nexite deck.

Great mowers either way, and hard to beat for the price. Quick release for bagging, and mulches pretty well too.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
With a staggered-wheel Lawn-Boy, you can very easily mow your entire yard with one hand (keeping your other hand free to hold a beverage!).

Get a Snapper and they give you a cup holder!
grin2.gif

I'm not sure I follow the comments on one handed operation, I find it quite easy to hold the blade bale down and operate the drive bale with my thumb.

If anything mine is too light, it has the battery on the handle and on the infrequent occasions that I bag, it wheelies too easy with half a bag or more. It is very well balanced when mulching.

I'd chose it again.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I'm not sure I follow the comments on one handed operation, I find it quite easy to hold the blade bale down and operate the drive bale with my thumb.

On mine, and on the HRX that I've used before, the drive bail disengages too far rearward for me to reach it with my thumb. It's also not a natural thumb angle anyway. The Hondas have an ergonomic handle -- for two-handed operation. For one-handed operation, I find a more traditional flat handle to be better. Plus, on the Honda, both the blade bail and the drive bail have to be pushed forward to remain engaged. If you're clutching the drive bail in and out one-handed, it can become awkward trying to let one of the bails fall backwards while keeping the other one pushed forward...at least it does for me.

On my Lawn-Boy, the engine stop bail rotates down and sits flat against the top of the flat handlebar, so that's a non-player once the mower's running. The weight of your hand naturally keeps that bail planted, so there's no thought to it. Then the drive bail disengages and hangs about two inches below the bar, so it's super easy to reach down with a few fingers and feather it up to clutch it in.

It is natural for me to hold one of the uprights and use my thumb on the drive bale. It wouldn't work so well if my thumb was much shorter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back