Got a new Honda HRX

It's not new car day, but a good day anyway. I use my mower more often than I drive some of our cars. I got my first HRX in 2009. It's been 100% reliable and still runs perfectly. Given the ban of gasoline OPE in California, as well as Honda leaving the OPE market, I bought a new HRX last Saturday. Between he two of the I'll never need a new mower for the rest of my life.

In true Bitog fashion, Honda says to change the oil after the first 5 hours. I changed it after mowing the yards today, about an hour's worth of run time. I used Honda 10W-30 OPE oil in the 12 ounce bottle. I'll change it again in a month. After that I'll do my usual bi-annual change using Redline 5W-20.

Scott

IMG_9048.jpeg
IMG_9049.jpeg

Last edited:
It's not new car day, but good fun anyway. I use my mower more often than I drive some of our cars. I got my first HRX in 2009. It's been 100% reliable and still runs perfectly. Given the ban of gasoline OPE in California, as well as Honda leaving the OPE market, I bought a new HRX last Saturday. Between he two of the I'll never need a new mower for the rest of my life.

In true Bitog fashion, Honda says to change the oil after the first 5 hours. I changed it after mowing the yards today, about an hour's worth of run time. I used Honda 10W-30 OPE oil in the 12 ounce bottle. I'll change it again in a month. After that I'll do my usual bi-annual change using Redline 5W-20.

Scott

Given the new regs, it looks like you're going to be "In Like Flint" for a good while.

Pretty smart Sir.

I do however echo @jhs914 comment re: 5w-20 in OPE given your locale.

5W-20 in OPE? Why?
It wasn't a deliberate decision. I probably had some sitting in the garage and decided to use it. IMO using 5W-20 or 5W-30 doesn't make any difference. I think the biggest thing is changing it every year. Redline is on the thick side, and it's super packed with moly. I could have just easily used 5W-30, but that's not what was sitting there that day. My 15 year old HRX has been run on Redline 5W-20 for probably the last 10 years. It seems happy, so 5W-20 seems to be working.

Scott

Last edited:
Given the new regs, it looks like you're going to be "In Like Flint" for a good while.

Pretty smart Sir.

I do however echo @jhs914 comment re: 5w-20 in OPE given your locale.
We in a "rural/suburban" area of one acre lots. Pretty much every square inch of our lot is landscaped and tended to on a regular basis. My OPE equipment gets used a lot.

Scott

You got that right. HRS 21 push but it’s had very little use in the last 10 years or so as I went to self propelled about that time frame. Bought new in 1989 and still starts and runs like new. Straight 30 weight HD all its life.

View attachment 211710

View attachment 211711
I'm willing to bet Honda's wheel height adjusters provide the same cutting height choices. The wheel height adjusters on both my HRXs are the same design. I set mine in the middle position. I bet the middle position on your mower yields the same blade height. Leave it to Honda.

I treat my mowers well. As you can see mine are garaged!

Scott

I bought a JD professional used mower last year, and love it. Also got two snapper hi vac mowers. But buying a new Honda before they go out of the industry is still going through my mind… even if I just keep it dry and in the box.

Back