Rust on a babied 2003 Pontiac Benneville SSEi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plates on the Impala are peeling already and we got it in December'05. I paint the backs of our tags with rustoleum or whatever decent name brand. I wish Ohio would either drop the front tag or go back to aluminum plates. Yeah, that makes sense, so it'll never happen.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
My plates on the Impala are peeling already and we got it in December'05. I paint the backs of our tags with rustoleum or whatever decent name brand. I wish Ohio would either drop the front tag or go back to aluminum plates. Yeah, that makes sense, so it'll never happen.
smirk2.gif

I've been driving for over 20 years, and have had only TWO sets of plates here in Illinois.

How many sets has Ohio had in the last 10 years... three?

Hmmm...Blue on white, then a lame gold bottomed white with dark blue digits, and now Red white and blue that looks similar to Idaho and South Dakota. That plus a MESS of "special" plates (Wildlife, Freemasons, etc) that you have to pay the extra to have every year. I've got regular tags on both cars.

Is there anything that you can put on the under side of a rust free vehicle to slow the rust process down. I am thinking of moving back to the rust belt and hate the thought of doing all the best maintenance on my vehicles and still watching them rust away. I have done this many times before. I read on this site all the people that have 2-3 hundred K on their autos and live in heavy salted areas. What is the secret, besides not driving under those conditions? I know, stay where you are. (not an option)

Originally Posted By: flirish
Is there anything that you can put on the under side of a rust free vehicle to slow the rust process down. I am thinking of moving back to the rust belt and hate the thought of doing all the best maintenance on my vehicles and still watching them rust away. I have done this many times before. I read on this site all the people that have 2-3 hundred K on their autos and live in heavy salted areas. What is the secret, besides not driving under those conditions? I know, stay where you are. (not an option)

Krown for us up here in Canada.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I know some are thinking this...but after I read the poster's rust story..the words "GM quality" come to mind
LOL.gif

01.gif
My '00 Cavasmear I treated (?) with that Rustbullet and it's still rusting in the same spots. I fell for that marketing ploy.
33.gif
spankme2.gif
06.gif

My Dad called rustproofing "proof it will rust", i.e., useless.

John

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I know some are thinking this...but after I read the poster's rust story..the words "GM quality" come to mind
LOL.gif

01.gif
My '00 Cavasmear I treated (?) with that Rustbullet and it's still rusting in the same spots. I fell for that marketing ploy.
33.gif
spankme2.gif
06.gif

My Dad called rustproofing "proof it will rust", i.e., useless.

John

That's because the good stuff is reserved for the Canadians. My '89 Townie is rust-free.

was this car ever waxed ?

My GM truck is 15 years old and barely has some surface rust above the rear wheels.

Originally Posted By: flirish

I've heard taking your used oil and ATF and putting it in a sprayer or using a paintbrush to apply works perfect, as in NO RUST

The 2003 Bonneville was traded off on Monday, rust and all, with just 57,000 miles on the odometer... and has been replaced with a 2009 Nissan Altima with a 3.5 V6, leather, and a moonroof.

Congratulations to GM and the UAW... you just lost another one to the imports.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ted s
and wait for the nissian to rust even worse, and it will.

And maybe it will, and maybe it won't... only time will tell.

One thing is for sure, they didn't want to be driving around a rusty Bonneville (and neither would I). They probably would have kept it, if Government Motors would have provided some assistance to repair what was likely some sort of a manufacturing defect (bad metal, no undercoating, missing drain hole, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back