Calling all car "nerds": strangely optioned vehicles you've owned?

Random a question as questions get, but color me curious. I've always been interested by common vehicles that were ordered/delivered from the factory with odd and/or unique equipment combinations. I haven't owned many, given my age bracket (90's kid), however there are a few that stand out:

1997 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi - This was one strange car: it was a verified SSEi, but painted plain old white with teal green CLOTH interior. It was supercharged, obviously, and wore the SSEi only body effects. However it had SE trim wheels, the basic radio, no electronic suspension, no multi-adjustable seats, no sunroof, nothing. Outside the body kit, it literally could have been mistaken for an SE model. Many people don't know that the L67 engine was available on ANY Bonneville that year, from the SE up to the SSEi. It was incredibly unique for someone to pop for an SSEi, only to de-content it to SE level features. A supercharged SE is rare, a stripper level SSEi must be unheard of!

1989 Ford F-150 - This one was another "Why would someone order this?" example. On first glance, it was a fairly common truck: regular cab, 300 I6, 4x4, standard trans. What made my truck odd was the way it was equipped. While it carried mostly base-level running gear, it also happened to be a Lariat trim. Not only was it a Lariat, but it had the FOUR speed manual, instead of the much more common ZF 5-speed. It was also had the manual shift t-case but auto locking hubs. Beyond that: it had factory dual-shock front suspension, dual gas tanks, and NO power windows or locks. Someone basically ordered an XL with better cloth seating. WHY?

Those are the two that stick out, however I will give honorable mention to my last Cadillac: a 2003 Cadillac Seville STS. Not a particularly unique car, apart from the fact that it was one of very few equipped with factory navigation. Back then, that was a big deal. I've looked at countless Seville's over the years, and mine was one of maybe 5 I've seen with factory navigation. Sure, it was useless given it's age, but it was a heck of a cool option back in '03!

I own a 1984 Cavalier station wagon. My dad bought it new and ordered it with an AM-only radio and a 4-speed manual transmission.

He replaced the AM radio with an aftermarket Panasonic AM/FM/tape head unit.

As far as the 4-speed manual transmission, he never liked automatics.

I don't think many Cavalier station wagons were made with a manual transmission...

I poured over the options for a '84 Buick Century T-type my dad ordered. He declined most of my choices but he did accept the police HD alternator and wiring package. The headlights were incredibly bright! Great voltage/current output at idle. Maybe 4 years into ownership the alternator shorted and smoked a lot of wiring and the car never really ran the same after that.

my 2003 base tundra was ordered with a bunch of odd options. skid plate,dual exaust, borla air filter- 1600$ tire and rim package and inside only had ac as an option. this on a long bed reg cab truck. truck was on the lot for 8 months when i bought it. got a heck of a deal. truck is 2x4 also. not a 4x4.

I had a 1968 scout with the factory V8 ,t18 4 speed and 3.73 gears. Pretty rare in the scout world as most had a 4 cyl and 3 speed.

Had a 2 door sedan 69 Chevelle deluxe 300 with a 3 on the tree. Wish I had kept this car.

My currant 1987 f250 in the lariat with all the bells and whistles available that year but has the 6.9 diesel and a 4 speed manual.

I think it's weird how my 2008 TrailBlazer isn't the lowest trim and it still doesn't have cruise control, like what vehicle in 2008 didn't have cruise control standard at least in the $30,000+ range, obviously a ****box lowest trim Versa or cobalt or something I could see coming without it.

The oddest I've owned, well, it was 1973 and a somewhat unusual fellow in Marin County had a vehicle that, for some odd reason, I couldn't pass up. It was a 1943 Dodge Power Wagon battlefield ambulance, and my plan was to make an off-road camper out of it. One side, where tools were usually kept, was modified to hold what was described to me as a grenade launcher. Definitely not a standard issue accessory, and was most likely added after the vehicle's military service was completed. I never tried it, and don't know if it even worked, but it sure looked cool and was a great conversation starter. Here's a very similar truck, and you can see where the standard complement of tools was kept.

Clipboard01.jpg

79 Olds Cutlas Supreme V8 with a 5 speed manual transmission. I believe only 168 were produced that year. My wife worked at the dealership and ordered it for me.
That is really strange... A v6 and a 5 speed, or a v8 and a Saginaw iron-cased 4 speed... but in '79, what 5 speed would it have been? And what displacement of v8?

I factory ordered a '78 Nova 4 dr in base trim, 305 2 bbl carb, and a four speed Saginaw transmission. Mistake... Red vinyl covered bench seat, flat as a board, about 135 ?? HP engine 🙁, lousy rear seat accomm (the bench seat behind was "shallow"; wouldn't fully support your thighs). The overall combination was stupid and odd. Learned my lesson.

I don't think I've had anything strange but, I'll think about it.
However my buddy bought a brand new '78 TransAm Gold Edition. This car was beautiful and had gold everything except that the seatbelts were black. I don't get it. :unsure:
It had:
*Gold paint
*Gold painted Snowflake wheel inserts
*Gold/Tan/Camel seats, carpet, door panels & trim
*Gold Pontiac Arrowhead emblem
*Gold Phoenix(s) w/3 tone Gold/Brown/Tan decals
*Gold tinted glass & T-tops
*Gold Prism Dash
*Gold interior Phoenix Birds on the dash & door panels(instead of red)

I've had several odd vehicles or rare combos over the years. My favorite was when younger my Dad ordered an 85 Fiero SE but he added Ws6 and the 2.8V6 that was standard on the GT model. So we basically had a GT without the ground effects - looked nicer and said Fiero 2M6 on the trunk vs 2M4 for the base 2.5 iron duke 4cyl cars. That car was a fast little car and I was allowed to drive it - often beating Iroc-Z s of the day. Everyone thought it was a 4cyl car because it was an SE and no ground effects.

That is quite common. What color was the steering wheel?
GOLD and so was the Phoenix in the steering wheel hub/center.

This example below isn't it but you can see from the pics that the seatbelts are black. And in this Barrett-Jackson version, the emblems(arrowhead & phoenix are red)

Last edited:
Not something you had in the US, but my first car was a '98 Peugeot 406 Wagon. It was the poverty spec model, the 'L' but was optioned with A/C, sunroof, remote central locking and a a 7 seat conversion which added two seats in the boot facing backwards. What made it odd was a few years after I owned it I found a brochure for the car and it would have been quite a bit more expensive to pick the 'L' and add the options I had than to move up to the next trim which was the 'LX' which would have included all the optional extras plus a rev counter, trip computer and rear electric windows. A bit weird.

Last edited:
My current 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen in the "S w/4Motion" trim....VW folks always think it's an Alltrack OR don't believe it when I tell them it has a DSG and awd. Basically a base trim S with a winter package - heated seats, nozzles, mirrors plus awd which netted you either the DSG or 6-speed...normal fwd S came with either the slush-box auto or a 5 spd.

Back