Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://www.realguns.com/articles/726.htm

An excerpt from the article:

Originally Posted By: realguns

*snip*

The Ruger Precision Rifle is a quality long range shooter, supported by a good selection of chambers. The Precision Rifle can also be hauled up to the range on a free day, providing the relaxation that comes only from putting multiple shots into very small holes, it could be configured for class competition shooting and it could pop game as a very long distance. Finally, the Precision Rifle's design is a natural for us gear heads who need to change parts and accessories to suit personal taste and preference, without cutting barrel threads and chambers on a lathe.

Before I go wandering through the Ruger Precision Rifle....

The mechanical design and features are too interesting and too extensive to not look at in greater detail, and that is exactly what we are going to attempt. However, recognizing that while screw hex head size and hinges are very exciting to some, the same can cause others to fall into tedium induced sleep and go nose over on their respective desks. So we'll start with how the Ruger Precision Rifle performed and then follow on to mechanical detail.

A Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44mm scope with CMR-W 7.62 reticle was installed on the Precision Rifle with a Leupold Mark 6 34mm Integral Mount. With the rifle's comb cranked up a bit, the scope's placement was ideal, forming a natural line of sight through the scope's centerline and providing plenty of support. Based on clarity, brightness and contrast of image, the Mark 6 is truly an exceptional scope in a very compact package, an excellent match with the Ruger Precision Rifle.

*snip*

straightlineillusrpr.jpg

Looks like they used the Ruger American as the base for the action design.

I bought a RA for my 13 year old twins to use and considered re-barreling it because the action that good!Not at all perfect but it has a lot of potential.

I shoot F-Class and so does my 17 year old. The nature of F-Class is such that a shooter is not made or broken by his action.You can still win with an off the shelf action that has been blueprinted.

It will be cool to see how this performs. Ruger is known for chambers that are at SAAMI max or throats that are longer then ideal.This is why some shoot fantastic out of the box with factory ammo and some do not. If you hand load even the dogs shoot great.

Quit posting stuff like this. Otherwise, I'm going to start spending a bunch of money again. I could have fun with that for hours and hours and hours, and dollars and dollars and dollars of ammunition.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Quit posting stuff like this. Otherwise, I'm going to start spending a bunch of money again. I could have fun with that for hours and hours and hours, and dollars and dollars and dollars of ammunition.

Glad I have low expectations..I love shooting my 10/22 ruger at 50 yards. On a good day it does a 1" or better group. And at inflated prices of 8 cents a round I can actually afford to shoot it..lol.

$1+ per round is too rich for my blood.

[/hyjack thread]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Glad I have low expectations..I love shooting my 10/22 ruger at 50 yards. On a good day it does a 1" or better group. And at inflated prices of 8 cents a round I can actually afford to shoot it..lol.

There's nothing wrong with low expectations. You could hand me any .22 and a bunch of ammo and I'd sit there all day and do the same thing as I would with a precision rifle.e ammo in a

6.5 Creedmoor?

That's a new caliber to me. Is this a hunting round or target shooting?

Originally Posted By: Garak
dollars and dollars and dollars of ammunition.

Oh Lord... Yes, so much ammo. I hoard the stuff.
27.gif

I usually don't hoard it, though I have been known to do so. I usually just shoot at targets over and over and over until many hours are gone, along with a big stack of paper and an obscenely expensive amount of ammunition.

Good to see 1:8 twist on the 6.5 for the long 140 grain bullets.
The 1:7.7 in the 6mm is something I haven't seen in a production rifle before. Good idea, and so is the 1:10 in the .308 Win.

I could never understand why the 270 Win and 25-06 Rem had 1:10 twists instead of the 8-9 range.

I'd rather have a Sako TRG42, but sadly I can't find any space in CT to make such a rifle worth shooting and hence worth owning.

Longest range is 200 yards, shame really.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: used_0il
Good to see 1:8 twist on the 6.5 for the long 140 grain bullets.
The 1:7.7 in the 6mm is something I haven't seen in a production rifle before. Good idea, and so is the 1:10 in the .308 Win.

I could never understand why the 270 Win and 25-06 Rem had 1:10 twists instead of the 8-9 range.

I am not a ballistics expert but it gets complicated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifling

Forgive me if you are beyond this information. But I would guess the ballistics engineers know what they are doing.

Last edited:
When I was 7 or 8 years old I used to jump up and swing from the 105's barrel expecting them to be smooth. (2RCHA, 71 RCA)

The historical slow twists in the 25-06 especially, limits bullet design compared to the European 6.5s with their tighter rifling.

Edit; My 6.5X55 Tika has 1 in 8", my 264 Win 700 Sendaro 1 in 9".
The new 26 Nosler is 1 in 8" same as the Ruger 6.5 Creedmore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: used_0il
When I was 7 or 8 years old I used to jump up and swing from the 105's barrel expecting them to be smooth. (2RCHA, 71 RCA)

The historical slow twists in the 25-06 especially, limits bullet design compared to the European 6.5s with their tighter rifling.

Edit; My 6.5X55 Tika has 1 in 8", my 264 Win 700 Sendaro 1 in 9".
The new 26 Nosler is 1 in 8" same as the Ruger 6.5 Creedmore.

My .338 Lapua is 1:9", my .308 is 1:10". The .338LM is one of if not the most accurate calibre in the world holding more record long distance kills than any other calibre and of course the .308 win is no slouch either.

Note the rifle in the OP is available in .308 as well at 1:10" and 243WIN at 1:7.7". I'd be interested to see how the 243 stacks up to the Creedmoor given that it (the 6.5) is a ground up precision cartridge whilst the .243 is just a necked-down .308.

There is a better selection of high BC 6.5mm bullets than for 6mm, so finding one that shoots well in the Creedmore should not be a problem.
The muzzle energy looks to be about 15% higher with the Creedmore than the 243 Win.
Combine that with a higher BC, and the winner is the 6.5, which could be loaded "long", depending on the throat or free-bore.

In silhouette competition, sometimes the 6mm's will score a hit, but fail to knock over the target.
For that reason, the various 6.5s and 7mm-08 Rem are more popular for silhouette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back