Ruger asked me to send back my SR22.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love hearing all your Ruger stories, good or bad. From what I've read here and reviews of their products, they've all been perfect customer service reports. I'm loving it! Thanks for sharing your stories, everyone! It's really appreciated!

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Originally Posted by bubbatime
I hate to say it, but I told you so applies.

In the other thread I called these guns meeeeeehhhhh firearms, barely better than junk.

And now we see why.

Trade it in for a Ruger Mark 2 or Mark 4, which is a fantastic.22 pistol.

Pop the slide off and see what broke. Did a slide rail break off?

An SR22 is not a handgun for high volume shooting. You'll be much better off in the long run with a Mark 4 or Browning Buckmark.

i wouldn't be so quick to dismiss an sr22. i've put many 1000s of rounds through mine, including several thousand in a month of recent desert plinking without issue. indeed the mark series are solid, but the 1-3 are pains to fieldstrip and awfully heavy to tote around all day. the sr22 is a totally fine choice for a 22lr plinker, first handgun, soft recoil shooter, etc.

UPDATE: Just read the email Ruger sent with the resolution to my issue. They decided to replace the whole gun at no charge and destroy my old one. New serial number and everything. How awesome is that???

They said they're going to ship it to my FFL (don't know what that is) but asked for the address and number of the dealer I want it sent to. I'm assuming that would be the dealer I originally purchased it from? Is it law that they don't send it to me, the owner who sent it in?

Anyhoo, I really really miss my little gun this whole week. and I'm eagerly awaiting the new one to get to me. I'm loving Ruger!

Last edited:
The new gun isn't registered to you, so it needs to be handled through an authorized gun dealer just like you were buying a new gun.

eosyn do an internet search for an ffl convenient to you with the lowest transfer fee. here is a list maintained by gunbroker.com but there are other lists online: https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/searchforffl.aspx. you are not wedded to your original ffl. i would kinda hope that ruger would thrown in a free mag or two, or a discount for its accessories at least, for your trouble. it cant hurt to nicely ask...

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm content that they've decided to send me a brand new gun. If they send me something extra, awesome. If not, no biggie. I'm still satisfied with their resolution.

BTW, "FFL" means Federal Firearms Licensee, in other words a dealer.

Must be some sort of state law that it has to go to an FFL or Ruger is unwilling to file the paperwork on the replacement because I've had them sent directly to me.

In anywise, glad they took care of you, and I hope the new one is a keeper.

Thanks, Duckryder, I hope the new one is a keeper also. If not, Ruger will be tired of hearing from me. LOL After reading through the email again, her very last sentence stated that "we are required by law to transfer a replacement through a federally licensed firearms dealer." I guess that's Michigan law.

Originally Posted by Eosyn
Thanks, Duckryder, I hope the new one is a keeper also. If not, Ruger will be tired of hearing from me. LOL After reading through the email again, her very last sentence stated that "we are required by law to transfer a replacement through a federally licensed firearms dealer." I guess that's Michigan law.

No. It's the law in all 50 states. When a firearm is replaced by the manufacturer, it is the same as if you went out and bought another brand new gun. Even if the manufacturer is giving it to you as a replacement. You will be required to fill out another 4473 Form, just like you did when you bought the first one. (You will also be again required to sit through any waiting periods, or any other state laws that Michigan has in place regarding the purchase of new firearms).

This regardless of the fact Ruger is planning to destroy the first one they sold you. Even if they do, that dealer who sold it to you will be required to keep that 4473 Form on file for the next 20 years. In spite of the fact the gun no longer exists. Stupid, yes. But that's the Federal government. No one ever said common sense factored into their thinking.

On the other hand, if your firearm is repaired, and returned to you, I believe that they can send it back to you directly, and not an FFL, with a shipper like UPS or FedEx that tracks and requires signature.

My wife's Walther CCP was recalled, and a part updated. We sent it in via FedEx and I think (trying to remember now) that it came back directly to us...

When bought through the CMP, my Garands came directly to the house via FedEx. Six pages of paperwork is done, and the background check is part of it...

In your case, Eosyn, if the frame was cracked (as I think it might have been) then the gun you get is "new" anyway, because the part with the serial number has been replaced. New serial number = new gun.

So, again, for example, you can ship rifle parts or gun parts through the mail, or common carrier, all day long, but the part with the serial number (the receiver for most rifles, the frame for most pistols) is the "gun" and THAT part must go through an FFL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
On the other hand, if your firearm is repaired, and returned to you, I believe that they can send it back to you directly, and not an FFL, with a shipper like UPS or FedEx that tracks and requires signature.

My wife's Walther CCP was recalled, and a part updated. We sent it in via FedEx and I think (trying to remember now) that it came back directly to us...

Correct. It is only the serialized part of the weapon, (frame on a pistol or revolver, or the lower on a AR-15 type rifle), that requires a 4473 transfer by a licensed FFL Dealer.

Originally Posted by Astro14

In your case, Eosyn, if the frame was cracked (as I think it might have been) then the gun you get is "new" anyway, because the part with the serial number has been replaced. New serial number = new gun.

Ah, I see. It's a new serial number therefore, I must go thru the whole procedure again as if I was purchasing a new gun, which, in this case, is a brand new gun. They asked for my "I understand" to be written in their email to "destroy" the old one in their possession.

So, all in all, they are not replacing any part of the gun. They are going to send me a brand new one and "destroy" (their word) the one I sent them.

Be careful what gun shop you pick to transfer the gun to you. This is not a free service. You will find that they charge a fee for this transfer. Some dealers charge $10, some dealers charge $100. So you need to do your homework before you decide what FFL dealer to have Ruger ship the gun to.

Personally, I would call the dealer you bought the gun from, tell them what happened, that the gun was defective, that Ruger was replacing it, and ask that they waive the FFL transfer fee. See if they would agree to that.

Thanks for all the cautions about the transfer fee from the FFL. My dealer is not charging me a fee at all. He also told me he emailed his info to Ruger already. He's a cool guy who works out of his basement. I'm all set now, just have to wait.

Few yrs ago my redhawk 45 colt got out of timing. Ruger had me send it in of course. Problem they were not sending it back and issuing me a new gun.

And then that created another problem. Ruger was completely out of new redhawk 45 colts and the production line for those wasn't scheduled for another month and offered a full refund.

Oh well no big deal I'll just wait. Then about 4-5 days later I get a call for my local gun store where I had bought it and my new gun was already in.

So [censored]? What happened to waiting another month at least for my new gun?

Called Ruger and the story was someone went ahead and built the new gun from existing parts they already had on hand so they could get it out quicker rather than waiting for production to roll. I was in no hurry but thought it was a nice gesture.

Blaze: sweet surprise, huh? That's going the full 9 yards to satisfy a customer. Great story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back