Rubio's Coastal Grill files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

I don't know how many are familiar with it, but I've enjoyed them for years. They're known for Baja-style fish tacos, which are breaded and deep fried. They started off in the San Diego area and branched out across the west coast.

My first time was coming back home from a business trip in San Diego, and they seemed convenient at San Diego Airport. I didn't think it was very good, but I gave it a chance later, especially with a location close to work and went back a lot. I think back then a fish taco was $1.50 at most locations, but I would typically get a 3-taco plate with chips and a beverage for maybe $4.50. I also liked that they typically had soda water for free at their fountains, and lots of salsa as well as lemons, limes, and pickled jalapenos with carrots. And the typical $1 Tuesday special, although that price kept on creeping up throughout the years. But there was one that opened near home and I spent a lot of quality time there with the family with their Tuesday specials. Also when I took a contract job and I was living part time away from home, there was also one in town.

The one near me closed around the time COVID-19 hit, and I think they filed for bankruptcy then. They announced more closures a few days ago, including the last remaining locations in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Last edited:
I'd rethink that.....

"Rising food and utility costs, combined with the increase of the minimum wage in California to $20 per hour, also have caused financial pressures."
https://www.restaurantdive.com/news/rubios-declares-bankruptcy/718095/#:~:text=Rubio's said it has been,also have caused financial pressures.

If we're just throwing around quotes:
"I also think Rubio’s is using the wage increase as an excuse. The rise in minimum wage is not enough to tip an organization like Rubio’s into bankruptcy. They had to have other problems for that to occur.” - University of San Diego economist Alan Gin, a guy who doesn't need to cover his bad decisions with excuses about minimum wage because he wasn't managing Rubio's while heading into bankruptcy

Rubio's declaring bankruptcy because of minimum wage is about as plausible as my scenario of seafood starting a union.

"It’s estimated to have between $10 million to $50 million in assets and $100 million to $500 million in liabilities, the court filing showed."

$100m to $500m in liabilities? All that debt racked up in the two months since the minimum wage increase?

I know you want to believe Rubio's when they say it was the minimum wage increase because it fits your narrative. Did you also believe Red Lobster went into bankruptcy because management said they ran a killer sale on endless shrimp and couldn't stay in business because of it?

If we're just throwing around quotes:
"I also think Rubio’s is using the wage increase as an excuse. The rise in minimum wage is not enough to tip an organization like Rubio’s into bankruptcy. They had to have other problems for that to occur.” - University of San Diego economist Alan Gin, a guy who doesn't need to cover his bad decisions with excuses about minimum wage because he wasn't managing Rubio's while heading into bankruptcy

Rubio's declaring bankruptcy because of minimum wage is about as plausible as my scenario of seafood starting a union.

"It’s estimated to have between $10 million to $50 million in assets and $100 million to $500 million in liabilities, the court filing showed."

$100m to $500m in liabilities? All that debt racked up in the two months since the minimum wage increase?

I know you want to believe Rubio's when they say it was the minimum wage increase because it fits your narrative. Did you also believe Red Lobster went into bankruptcy because management said they ran a killer sale on endless shrimp and couldn't stay in business because of it?
No, your post seems to have an avoidance of it having anything to do with the minimum wage. As the article clearly explains, the wage issue is a part of the reason. It didn't say it was the entire reasoning. I don't see the source I gave earlier as a partisan biased source. I also have no narrative. Your projection of me is noted.

Rubios used to have a couple of locations here in Northern Cal; it was good Fresh Mex. Their fish tacos were really popular. Very popular high tech worker lunch spots!
They closed over 10 years ago. Originally in San Diego, even many of the Rubios down south have closed.

Business problems for years, but good inexpensive food!

Rubios used to have a couple of locations here in Northern Cal; it was good Fresh Mex. Their fish tacos were really popular. Very popular high tech worker lunch spots!
They closed over 10 years ago. Originally in San Diego, even many of the Rubios down south have closed.

Business problems for years, but good inexpensive food!

I'd say well over a couple. I'm sure it was over a dozen over the years, although their website only lists 4 in the Bay Area (Pleasant Hill, two in San Jose, and Sunnyvale), which have all closed in the past week. I guess they haven't updated their location list yet.

However, Yelp remembers. Yeah - I'm bored enough to research this. I think I'd been to five of these. The ones in San Francisco were great if it was the Tuesday special. I think their prices were normally higher, but not for the special.

I also remember doing business in Folsom on occasion, and I might go to the location there. I think maybe other locations in the Sacramento area.

It was really weird to, since I was disappointed the first time I tried it. Never even heard of it before, but I was at an airport where the options weren't that great. But then I heard more about the place and gave it another try. Maybe the airport location just wasn't very good.

I do remember when there was a change. I think when I started as a customer they had the fish battered and frozen at their supplier. But then they switched back to their early roots, which was to provide a mix and then dip it on site. It was better. Much crispier/fluffier.

Previously, the fish destined for Rubio’s fryers were caught, processed at a Seattle fishery, portioned and dipped in a proprietary beer-batter before being frozen and shipped to Rubio’s outlets.​
“We outsourced the battering of our fish,” Rubio said. “The benefit was more consistency.”​
Now a packaged batter-mix is sent directly to locations. And each Rubio’s will defrost the pollock and dredge it through batter -- in-house, by hand, the old way -- before frying it.​

Back