Restaurant chains you wish would come back

I was actually on the Coast Starlight to San Luis Obispo a few weeks ago. I did spring for a business class seat and good thing I did - I wanted to check out the dining car. They were charging $25 for lunch and $40 for dinner - all meals are included for passengers in sleeping cars, but not for coach. I did take a gander on the cafe/viewing car - I got a Bud Light on it. The frozen DiGiorno pizzas and Hebrew National hot dogs seemed to be best sellers.

I got the baked potato loaded with vegan chili with the works, it also came with dessert and as many soft drinks(no beer or wine was offered) as you like. It was nice to sit down and have an actual hot meal(that wasn’t fast food like at the airport or in a car). I chatted with someone at the next table - she was a regular and told me things were quite different before the change. I had to get the carrot cake, Amtrak’s signature dessert.

View attachment 81182

Now, the Pacific Surfliner between Santa Barbara and LA was very reminiscent of the Capitol Corridor between San Jose/Oakland and Sacramento but with an expanded cafe car. I got a hot dog and can of Cutwater’s pre-mixed margarita on the ride to LA. Everyone seemed to be buying hot dogs and booze on the train. The Pacific Surfliner offered beer and Cutwater cocktails from San Diego, Firestone 805 from Paso Robles and cinnamon rolls from a bakery in SLO.

Now I want to ride a longer distance train to try out dinner.

There was a vegan restaurant chain that got into hot water for central kitchens. And Gordon Ramsay did as well.

There's talk that maybe sneaking in your own alcohol is something where Amtrak looks the other way ask long as you behave. I haven't tried it out though. But if you want to drink your own alcohol, that's usually allowed on Caltrain and Golden Gate Ferry. The drinking culture on Caltrain is epic, although they don't allow it at certain times on game days (Giants or Sharks). The Golden Gate Ferry special rides to Giants games don't allow any alcohol - they basically have all the rules that the stadium would have.

But yeah they have a real kitchen on Amtrak trains. There's also some criticism because it loses money that is likely made up with federal and state subsidies. Of course Amtrak survives on government subsidies. The food on Amtrak is never going to be a profit center. It's really meant to make riding long distances more tolerable.

Where did it cost that much for lunch? All I could find was this 2017 menu, but it's nowhere near $25 for lunch. I remember spending about $10 a few years earlier. Also - breakfast is different. A few years earlier beverages were included with all breakfast entrees. That included coffee, tea, milk, and juice. Even for the kids' menu. It was a while ago but I had their breakfast special (I think crab cakes) for about $9.50 and tax with potatoes and toast. But the key to the value was that I had coffee and juice that alone would have set me back about $6 at Denny's. And my kid got milk and juice for $3.50. But absolutely I could see why they discontinued having beverages included.

What were they serving it on? I remember a bunch of different dining ware. They had Amtrak pattern Corelle at one time. But later on they had something that looked similar but was disposable plastic. I believe it was justified as reducing the need to wash dishes, although I remember a stoneware mug for my coffee. And they also gave me a disposable cup of coffee to go.

Coast-Starlight-Dining-Car-Menu-0917.pdf

I've heard rumors that Wendy's (& possibly McDonald's) are testing a "ghost kitchen" concept in urban areas (Columbus OH is what I heard) exclusively for Uber Eats, Grubhub, Door Dash, and other app delivery services-no dining room, no conventional DT, just a window for delivery services, that's it. Take a corner of a parking garage, wall it off, turn into one (or more) franchised ghost restaurants. Another vote for Zantigo-if I'm ever in Minnesota, apparently there is only ONE location left that was not assimilated by Taco Bell, I'm going for chilitos & a taco burrito!

I don't know how well that would work for nearly ubiquitous fast food places like Chipotle or McDonald's. A lot of times I see that the delivery drivers get priority pickup, and I have no problem with it when the food is going to get cold.

I previously mentioned Fatburger in San Francisco, although it seems to be gone after a year. I can't find it on the listings of locations.

Blimpie! I almost forgot about them. They were more popular than Subway at one point. I'm hoping the Spicy Pickle Sub shop expands again. They were a great somewhat gormet local sub shop in Colorado. They expanded and brought in management that didn't have a vision. Only one left.

There's talk that maybe sneaking in your own alcohol is something where Amtrak looks the other way ask long as you behave. I haven't tried it out though. But if you want to drink your own alcohol, that's usually allowed on Caltrain and Golden Gate Ferry. The drinking culture on Caltrain is epic, although they don't allow it at certain times on game days (Giants or Sharks). The Golden Gate Ferry special rides to Giants games don't allow any alcohol - they basically have all the rules that the stadium would have.

But yeah they have a real kitchen on Amtrak trains. There's also some criticism because it loses money that is likely made up with federal and state subsidies. Of course Amtrak survives on government subsidies. The food on Amtrak is never going to be a profit center. It's really meant to make riding long distances more tolerable.

Where did it cost that much for lunch? All I could find was this 2017 menu, but it's nowhere near $25 for lunch. I remember spending about $10 a few years earlier. Also - breakfast is different. A few years earlier beverages were included with all breakfast entrees. That included coffee, tea, milk, and juice. Even for the kids' menu. It was a while ago but I had their breakfast special (I think crab cakes) for about $9.50 and tax with potatoes and toast. But the key to the value was that I had coffee and juice that alone would have set me back about $6 at Denny's. And my kid got milk and juice for $3.50. But absolutely I could see why they discontinued having beverages included.

What were they serving it on? I remember a bunch of different dining ware. They had Amtrak pattern Corelle at one time. But later on they had something that looked similar but was disposable plastic. I believe it was justified as reducing the need to wash dishes, although I remember a stoneware mug for my coffee. And they also gave me a disposable cup of coffee to go.

Coast-Starlight-Dining-Car-Menu-0917.pdf
The $25/40 charge for lunch/dinner was on the flyer for Business class dining. My meal was on china with plastic utensils.

Yes, I know all about booze and the ferry - you can drink on the Alameda/Oakland ferry but no BYOB. I did get caught with a Lagunitas Pils once - the usher took it from me but gave it back close to Oakland. I’ve seen people crack open beers on the AC Transit Transbay bus. Though given the fact much of Oakland’s rap scene(mostly Too $hort and the Luniz) and Green Day/Rancid have spent much time in the back of many AC buses, weed, preferably rolled up in a gutted Swisher Sweet/Philly Blunt as a blunt seems to be the poison of choice on AC Transit, seeing the amount of tobacco and blunt wrappers I see on the bus.

Last edited:
The $25/40 charge for lunch/dinner was on the flyer for Business class dining. My meal was on china with plastic utensils.

Yes, I know all about booze and the ferry - you can drink on the Alameda/Oakland ferry but no BYOB. I did get caught with a Lagunitas Pils once - the usher took it from me but gave it back close to Oakland. I’ve seen people crack open beers on the AC Transit Transbay bus. Though given the fact much of Oakland’s rap scene(mostly Too $hort and the Luniz) and Green Day/Rancid have spent much time in the back of many AC buses, weed, preferably rolled up in a gutted Swisher Sweet/Philly Blunt as a blunt seems to be the poison of choice on AC Transit, seeing the amount of tobacco and blunt wrappers I see on the bus.

I dunno. I've been to places where theoretically alcohol wasn't allowed but even law enforcement turned a blind eye to it as long as I didn't mess up.

I asked about it at a restaurant in Berkeley with a parklet. Those aren't like the ones in San Francisco where there's some special dispensation for the business to serve alcohol. They're legally considered public parks and have to be made available to the public without a preference for customers. I asked about what the status was for alcohol and was told that technically it was illegal but they've never had a case where anyone was cited. I asked because I brought my own beer and was wondering what the rules were, and I was even offered use of their bottle opener. I'll just say that this was a place that was notorious for many eating illegally on a center median until the [correction] parklet was built.

Last edited:
I've heard rumors that Wendy's (& possibly McDonald's) are testing a "ghost kitchen" concept in urban areas (Columbus OH is what I heard) exclusively for Uber Eats, Grubhub, Door Dash, and other app delivery services-no dining room, no conventional DT, just a window for delivery services, that's it. Take a corner of a parking garage, wall it off, turn into one (or more) franchised ghost restaurants. Another vote for Zantigo-if I'm ever in Minnesota, apparently there is only ONE location left that was not assimilated by Taco Bell, I'm going for chilitos & a taco burrito!
I don’t think McDonald’s needs to even consider ghost kitchens for Uber/Doordash - especially since McD’s puts a high emphasis on consistency and quality - no, it’s not the healthiest for you but quality as in supply chain and finished product. The franchisees might balk at this too - but there’s enough capacity in the McDonald’s network to serve the apps. McDonald’s was the first national chain for Uber Eats, IIRC.

Chuck E. Cheese, yes that place known for pizza and the arcade is also on Doordash as Pasqually’s. Supposedly their offering on there is a little higher quality than the kid’s product. I haven’t tried it - the local CEC was selling $5 pizzas or wings to stay afloat last year, but only during dinner time. They were next to the local Ace and O’Reillt.

The other day ago, I decided to check out a ghost kitchen in an not-so-savory part of town. Went for the vegetarian/vegan Chinese offering. Ordered through Doordash, $15 as a pickup order. It was pretty good. I did the orange “chicken”.

I think I know that place. Known for pizza.

Yeah - that's the one. I asked about the legality of consuming my own alcohol in the parklet and was told that alcohol (even that which they sold) was technically illegal there. I was told that legally the alcohol could be consumed inside - not even on the sidewalk seating. But if this was really a problem then it would have been addressed a long time ago. The authorities don't care as long as they don't serve it to minors. Heck - I've asked about the legality of alcohol at block parties and was told most agencies won't enforce alcohol laws unless there's a problem.

Costco is pretty bland. I don't understand how their pizza is so popular, maybe it's just because it's cheap.

One thing about chains that probably kills them is the quality and consistency. The smaller chains seem to have problems maintaining consistency so the quality varies by the staff and by the day. McDonalds is probably one of the blandest out there, but pretty much their quality is more consistent chain to chain although you do get some pretty bad food occasionally when it sits too long.
Costco pizza is ok but very affordable. If you are expecting Mountain Mike quality you need to pay Mountain Mike price. However if you are only expecting Round Table then Costco would probably be ok but is a lot cheaper.

I'll mention one that I wish would go away. El Pollo Loco chicken. I hated the way they would band saw the chicken in half, then over cook it until it was all dried out. And the skin was tough and hard enough to make a wallet out of.
I actually like that style of chicken. I don't like my chicken too mushy and I like them with lots of seasoning. Judging by the business they get they will not go away any time soon.

Boston Market is the only chain place I miss just because it was decent and different. You can only eat so much pizza, sandwiches and hamburgers for lunch before you need something that tastes like (or at least is presented like) it's a bit more 'home cooked'.
You need to pay for and buy from a better pizza place. There used to be a place our workplace order pizza from that is on Oakland Road in San Jose, they have a lot of nice stuff like steak and spinach, roasted potatoes and bacon, etc. I miss that place after pandemic started.

Costco pizza is ok but very affordable. If you are expecting Mountain Mike quality you need to pay Mountain Mike price. However if you are only expecting Round Table then Costco would probably be ok but is a lot cheaper.

I don't know if I'm expecting Mountain Mike's quality as I don't really consider Mountain Mike's quality to be that good. I'm used to really good pizza from independent places.

Blimpie! I almost forgot about them. They were more popular than Subway at one point. I'm hoping the Spicy Pickle Sub shop expands again. They were a great somewhat gormet local sub shop in Colorado. They expanded and brought in management that didn't have a vision. Only one left.
and they would slice the meat as ordered....

I wish somebody could have turned this into a chain without ruining it because their breakfast would grow back a limb. An institution indeed.

Back