Rubber dressing for windshield wiper blades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cleaned my wiper blades the other day real good with alcohol and a mechanics cloth. They work much better now as far as not leaving streaks anymore; but now they stick to the glass too much and squeak. I need something that will make the rubber blades slippery without sacrificing their flexibility. Bosch Edge are the blades. Suggestions?

I use the OEM wipers on my 2008 and 2010 Civic's. They work absolutely perfect and last a long time. Refills are $10 for the pair. At most I will clean the blades with a towel and windex every once in a while.

Honda OEM blades are coated with what looks like graphite.
Google graphite coated wiper blades.
Probably 17041 Graphite Spray Dry would do it, but will turn fingers black when applying.

I clean mine with an alcohol wipe every time I clean my windshield. Once the leading edge is compromised, I just replace the blade. Mine last 1 to 2 years max. Ed

Originally Posted by Donald
I replace in spring with a new pair. Over the winter they get abused trying to scrape off frost and ice from the windshield.

Same. Living in Brittany the salt and UV will kill them quickly anyway, surprisingly with Canadian climate they last longer.

Originally Posted by Popsy
Originally Posted by Donald
I replace in spring with a new pair. Over the winter they get abused trying to scrape off frost and ice from the windshield.

Same. Living in Brittany the salt and UV will kill them quickly anyway, surprisingly with Canadian climate they last longer.

Agreed, my wipers lasted forever in Buffalo, and they barely last six months in san antonio. They crack and fall apart from heat and uv.

I get about a year out of mine in Maryland, but how long seems to depend on initial quality more than anything. Some are no good, can't be fixed, out of the box.

Caveat, I clean my windshields and blades 3,4 or 5 times a week. I'm not OCD about it, it's just part of my evening routine before going to bed, when I check that doors and windows are locked, lights are off, etc. If windshields are still clean, I just leave them alone. Usually, if there has been rain or the washers have been used, there's a line of dust under the blade. Clean that off often (of both glass and rubber) and I think blades last much longer, and your windshield is less likely to be scratched.

Alcohol dries out the rubber. I don't worry about it. When mine start wiping poorly, I replace them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back