WD40 on Windshield Wipers?

I have seen a good number of YouTube videos about using WD40 on wiper blades to help them stay in better shape, longer!
Q's:
Has any member here at Bob's actually tried WD40 for cleaning/conditioning your wiper blades?
If so, how were/are the results?

I've been using CRC Heavy Duty Silicone on my blades with great results. I call this CRC a dry silicone(evaporates) as it DOES NOT stay wet & oily like a spray lube such as a Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster type of silicone product.

I am getting good results with the CRC as it cleans well and keeps the blades in good shape much longer than nothing at all. Also, I don't experience any streaking/smearing on the glass in any weather condition. And I am concerned that WD40 may cause that smearing when I need the wipers most. And we experience all conditions here in the north east.

There is no real reason for me to change from what I am doing by using the CRC however, I am curious if WD40 may in fact be the better, more optimal product.

Comments

Thanks Lube,
I've done that too in the past however, it's just not enough. I need to keep my windshield glass extra clean and use a windshield/glass treatment such as Rain-X or Aquapel. And to also keep doing what I've been doing to keep the wiper blades to that extra level of clean & plyability.

Any time that I have ever used alcohol on my wiper blades due to anyone's recommendation, I've ultimately ruined my blades usable life in a darn hurry. IME, alcohol quickly made the rubber hard(er), causing the blades to chatter & hop along the glass especially in colder temps...terrible!

I know there are those who are of the alcohol school of thought but, not for me. My driving area & eyes need that extra level of clear glass.

Thanks Lube,
I've done that too in the past however, it's just not enough. I need to keep my windshield glass extra clean and use a windshield/glass treatment such as Rain-X or Aquapel. And to also keep doing what I've been doing to keep the wiper blades to that extra level of clean & plyability.

Any time that I have ever used alcohol on my wiper blades due to anyone's recommendation, I've ultimately ruined my blades usable life in a darn hurry. IME, alcohol quickly made the rubber hard(er), causing the blades to chatter & hop along the glass especially in colder temps...terrible!

I know there are those who are of the alcohol school of thought but, not for me. My driving area & eyes need that extra level of clear glass.
Interesting. If those are the run-of-the-mill natural rubber blades then they are far more resistant to isopropyl alcohol than the mixed hydrocarbons in WD-40.

All I've ever used was brake parts cleaner and a shop rag or an alcohol wipe I steal out of the pocket of my wife's scrub jacket.

Right now I have Bosch on both vehicles. Relatively new. Haven’t had to wipe clean and are stone quiet. Maybe they just need to be replaced aggressively. I don’t know. Chattering, streaking wipers are so annoying.

I use some Ultima detailer/waterless wash on them while cleaning other areas of the car. Product includes both a cleaner and a protectant.

Not sure if it's worth the bother. I usually buy inexpensive blades so it is not a big deal to just replace them, but if getting more expensive blades I would only get silicone rubber so they don't need any treatment to last. Do not put any wet silicone treatment on silicone rubber blades... somewhat counter intuitively, they may be incompatible. Don't put a strong detergent on rubber blades, it will dry and harden them faster, only use minimum amount of soap/detergent needed, meaning none if you can get the job done without.

WD40? Can't help the blade life besides sealing out oxygen, but there is still UV ray damage, and would tend to make a mess of the windshield.

I do think dry silicone will help reduce friction and tearing, but is the increase in lifespan worth the cost of it and the effort? Might depend on whether that alone is enough to clean them off or if you need a separate cleaning step anyway.

Last edited:
I have had good results using silicone brake fluid and silicone spray. But, I have generic silicone wiper inserts from overseas. They are well over five years old and still doing well.

Reminds me of the dude in My Big Fat Greek Wedding who used to spray Windex on everything.

There are products for the intended purpose. WD40 is not one of them.

Back