WD40 on Windshield Wipers?

I usually wipe the blades as part of the weekly wash -- they're still wet, and a paper towel drawn along the blade brings out a lot of dirt. Once in a while I've used some rubbing alcohol, but I've done it so rarely I can't say whether that contributed to extra life or an early demise. Somehow I can't imagine putting anything oily on them would be good for the rubber.

I've never had a problem cleaning wiper blades with glass cleaner or even windshield washer fluid itself.
I am curious about what is best to clean'em with that won't cause the blades to harden, screach, chatter or vibrate along the glass when in use especially during the coldest months. I found that rubbing alcohol to be the worst.

And I don't want to clean the blades with a product that will leave any residue on the glass, that will cause even poor(er) visibility that what I am starting with.
Well, natural rubber is very resistant to alcohols so I have no idea where your damage is coming from. You are using the term "rubbing alcohol", some rubbing alcohols have other compounds added to them so I would be careful to use isopropyl alcohol from the hardware store that does not contain wintergreen oil for instance.

You also have to remember that most windshield washer solvent is partially methanol, so you're regularly getting alcohol on the blades anyway. In this instance there is no functional difference between the two, if anything the single carbon chain of the MeOH would be more reactive - but it isn't towards natural rubber.

Last edited:
The alcohol was typically from the aluminum foil pouches of rubbing alcohol wipes that came with the blades themselves. Or the inexpensive 60%-70% bottle from the local pharmacy(CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid etc.)

I don't use any rubbing alcohol on blades any longer and haven't in over 25 yrs due to this drying(or hardening) of the blades problem that caused the blades to chatter along the windshield in the colder months...COLDER MONTHS!

Alcohol just ruined the wipers for their intended purpose but it DIDNOT make them crack, dry rot or fall apart. It just made the blades too hard for a clear windshield and good vision and chatter like crazy on all of my cars...However, the warmer months were fine.

Alcohol may work for others but not for me and although I keep rubbing alcohol around the home, I won't use it in wiper blades when there are other products that do a better job for me. My original question was about WD-40 anyway and that seems to have gotten lost in the conversation.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice a buildup of sticky residue from new wipers where they change direction?

Anyone else notice a buildup of sticky residue from new wipers where they change direction?
Yes, I have seen that several times over the years. I noticed that I made an earlier post to this thread in which I said that I used silicone brake fluid when cleaning my silicone wiper blades. I still have the same inserts in the OEM blades. They're now about seven years old and showing no signs of needing to be replaced. They were generic inserts I bought on eBay that shipped from Malaysia. I honestly can't believe how well they have performed, especially for the price.

Yes, I have seen that several times over the years. I noticed that I made an earlier post to this thread in which I said that I used silicone brake fluid when cleaning my silicone wiper blades. I still have the same inserts in the OEM blades. They're now about seven years old and showing no signs of needing to be replaced. They were generic inserts I bought on eBay that shipped from Malaysia. I honestly can't believe how well they have performed, especially for the price.
Yeah I find blades to be of random quality regardless of price. Of course I've never tried any of those PIAA hoopty wipers. :LOL:

I've used the Honda replacement inserts for years, cost about $6 each, last 6-10 months. Also use Rain-X washer fluid exclusively. Always have a extra set stored with my spare tire in case they get wonky on a trip.

The problem with wiper treatments is that while they can clean and maybe make the rubber more supple they can't restore the two sharp edges on the blade. Worn edges cause smearing. That's why I was asking if anybody had tried a grooving tool.

Has anybody here used a wiper regroove tool that lets you refresh the wiper blade edge?
No, but I've seen what you are talking about. I think it would plausibly improve streaking. Chattering has more to do with loss of flexibility in the "spine" of the rubber insert, though, if the wipers end up less "grabby" due to new sharp wiping edges that might improve as well.

This is one of them, for example only.

Back