ROYAL PURPLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by lzhome
Seems to be some question if Royal Purple can be obtained at a competitive price. The only catch with my deal is that you have to be a Veteran or have a Veteran in your family order for you.
If you don't like RP thats fine, but that doesn't make your choice better or correct.

The Jewish and veteran sides of me both really want to know what website this is?

AAFES Exchange at shopmyexchange.com All veterans are eligible to shop online. They usually put it on sale at the end of the month, just keep watching the prices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by deven
Originally Posted by dave1251
I used to use it quite a bit. Around the same time they got bought out by Calumet, I started having problems with noisy lifters and poor UOAs. Went to Amsoil and problems cleared up. A few others I know that used RP experienced the same thing. I think RP used to be a good oil that got sold down the river to maximize profits. Nowadays, I feel like you're just paying for the name and some purple dye.

Don't use facts. RP lovers hate this also they hate the fact it's $40 for a 5 quart jug then will try to post a fictious sales price.

I have used Royal Purple's HPS line for over 7 years now with never a problem with noisy lifters or anything close to it. Plenty of my UOA's here that show RP HPS did just fine too.

And somehow it's a cure all for your customers engines. Spoken like a true snake oil salesman.

Originally Posted by wemay
You said fictitious sale prices, nothing else. Now 8 months is too old of a sale for you. Lol, ok.

...and oh, yeah, 10w30 is still sold on the WM website. Not "obsolete clearance" enough i guess.
smile.gif

Still way overpriced. Who pays that much when you can get PP or M-1 for 40% less? Kendall GT-1 synthetic can be had 12 quarts for less than that. One thing is for sure calumet must smile everytime RP buyers pad their sales revenue 1000% for every quart sold with House brand performance and waterfront testimonials.

I really don't have anything against Royal Purple, and I've actually always held them in somewhat high regard. However, having seen the VOAs of their API formulation and how it's seemingly identical to the old Valvoline Synpower formula, I don't think I could justify spending more money to get the RP over Synpower.

Now that Valvoline has gone away from the old Synpower add pack with their new Modern Engine and Advanced Full Synthetic formulas, I am really interested to see how, if at all, the Royal Purple add pack changes.

Originally Posted by JustN89
I really don't have anything against Royal Purple, and I've actually always held them in somewhat high regard. However, having seen the VOAs of their API formulation and how it's seemingly identical to the old Valvoline Synpower formula, I don't think I could justify spending more money to get the RP over Synpower.

Now that Valvoline has gone away from the old Synpower add pack with their new Modern Engine and Advanced Full Synthetic formulas, I am really interested to see how, if at all, the Royal Purple add pack changes.

I have the updated d1g2 rp api 5w-30 in my Escape and will post uoa when the time comes.

Instead of the moly/boronsodium/calcium generic API certified add pack it will have a moly/boron/magnesium/calcium API certified genetic add pack.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
At full retail price there is no performance reason to pay twice the price .

Here, that's not the case. At full retail price, RP is priced right between M1 and M1 EP, which makes sense given that it's mileage claim is right between that of M1 and M1 EP. Now, when the specials come, M1 and M1 EP go down significantly more than what happens with RP.

Originally Posted by deven
I used to use it quite a bit. Around the same time they got bought out by Calumet, I started having problems with noisy lifters and poor UOAs. Went to Amsoil and problems cleared up. A few others I know that used RP experienced the same thing. I think RP used to be a good oil that got sold down the river to maximize profits. Nowadays, I feel like you're just paying for the name and some purple dye.

Don't use facts. RP lovers hate this also they hate the fact it's $40 for a 5 quart jug then will try to post a fictious sales price.

I have used Royal Purple's HPS line for over 7 years now with never a problem with noisy lifters or anything close to it. Plenty of my UOA's here that show RP HPS did just fine too.

And somehow it's a cure all for your customers engines. Spoken like a true snake oil salesman.

There is nothing to cure....

Originally Posted by Garak

Here, that's not the case. At full retail price, RP is priced right between M1 and M1 EP, which makes sense given that it's mileage claim is right between that of M1 and M1 EP. Now, when the specials come, M1 and M1 EP go down significantly more than what happens with RP.

Really? Wow...
RP is nearly $40/5 quarts at my local WMs while M1 is usually $22 while M1 EP is $26, IIRC.
M1 AP is pretty close to RP in price here.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by Garak

Really? Wow...
RP is nearly $40/5 quarts at my local WMs while M1 is usually $22 while M1 EP is $26, IIRC.

But then again Mobil 1 AP is also over priced.

Maybe, maybe not. AP might have some expensive components in it.

Now is the benefit to cost ratio better? That would be another discussion.

Instead of the moly/boronsodium/calcium generic API certified add pack it will have a moly/boron/magnesium/calcium API certified genetic add pack.

Except that it didn't have any discernible amounts of Moly or Boron before.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Really? Wow...

We do get our specials here, and then M1, Castrol, and Pennzoil will really slam RP. If Pennzoil, Castrol, or M1 is on special, the discount is like 45% off. If RP is on special, 15% is the norm. But, if I had to go and purchase synthetic oil at ordinary retail prices here, then price is no reason to avoid RP. Back when I had my Audi 200, it was actually worse up here. At the time, the only A3/B4 lubricants were M1 0w-40 in a one litre bottle, GC 0w-30 in a one litre bottle, and RP 0w-40 in a one litre bottle (M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40 jugs hadn't made it here yet). The RP was significantly cheaper than the other two, so, I was using it until I switched to Delvac 1, which was much cheaper still.

As an aside, if I did have to purchase synthetic PCMO at ordinary retail prices at ordinary retailers (no distributors), Eneos and LM would be about the best deals here. Heck, in one litre bottles, PCMO is cheaper at Petro-Canada gas stations than at Walmart or Canadian Tire at regular price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back