Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about how widely available, never have spotted any RP in any Wallmart I have ever been in, and at least those in my area, I have looked. I know of exactly one O'Reillys in a 10 mile radius that carries some of their products, otherwise none at any of the other stores, or Autozone, maybe one Pep-Boobs, none at NAPA, etc.

At the end of the day, all the consumer really has available to determine oil quality is the specifications it meets.

It kinda cracks me up that it was BP (Castrol) calling foul on RP. IMO, those are probably the worst of the bunch in stretching that advertising line right now. "Think with your dipstick," indeed!

Anyway, I don't get too mentally mussed up by advertising claims generated for the "great unwashed masses." I expect to see wild claims at different times. But I know, at some point, something like this happens when the line gets pushed too far. What really bugs me is when I don't have access to technical details. That's what has always chapped me about Castrol, who won't publish more than the most basic tech specs.

Amsoil takes the opposite tack from BP Lubes and bombards us with details.. which looks impressive to those who can only understand 10 percent of it. The old "baffle them with bovine scatology" routine. But at least, you can bone up on the technology, challenge the data and maybe see the bias in their "objective" tests (if there is any). If a company has to be overzealous, that's the way I'd like to see it. Gives me credit for having a brain, at least.

I've been testing a number of RP products, so I'll see for myself how they performed in my equipment by the most objective means I have available. In fact, it was all the RP bashing that got me to do it. I kept thinking, "It can be neither as bad or as good and the two sides are claiming."

Saying "Royal Purple" on BITOG seems to bring out the "Niagara Falls: Slowly I turned..." moments (if anyone else is old enough to remember that comedy routine) in many people, which is funny when it isn't annoying. 80 replies to this OP... 81 with me. Many of them written in the digital form of foamy mouths. Gad Zukes!

My hope is that RP will take this wee-wee-whack to heart any maybe travel down the Amsoil road for a while to see how it works.

Last edited:
Jim raises a valid point. Castrol is almost as bad and in many ways worse with their advertising.

Well written Jim. Do I qualify as being old enough to remember Abbott and Costello doing "The slowly I turned" gig? Or was there someone before them I missed?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Well written Jim. Do I qualify as being old enough to remember Abbott and Costello doing "The slowly I turned" gig? Or was there someone before them I missed?

The whole Niagra Falls bit was a 3 Stooges routine. Moe, Larry, and Curly performing.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

The whole Niagra Falls bit was a 3 Stooges routine. Moe, Larry, and Curly performing.

I thought Abbott and Costello did it too, but that would have been much later. Dammmmm maybe you're right :)

Royal purple seems to be the best. My engine runs quieter and smoother. It also has a lot more power. I couldnt be happier.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Actually Royal Purple makes certain industrial lubes and products that BP uses. In BP facilities I have seeen Mobil 1(synthetic grease in arctic environments), Conoco Phillips, Chevron and BP/castrol products being used for different applications, It seems that one company cannot make the best prtoducts for all applications.
These are fun facts but irrelevant to consumer products and advertising claims.

And BP Castrol makes: Rocket Engine Grease

Anytime anything like this happens, one can only hope that the company straighten's out their claims. Maybe they'll even up the quality of their fluid so they can switch to 'test data' results.

Where can I buy the "Regal Gold"?

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Anytime anything like this happens, one can only hope that the company straighten's out their claims. Maybe they'll even up the quality of their fluid so they can switch to 'test data' results.

As a rp user and fan.. id agree with you.. If rp doesnt respond, im going to be forced to call them ROYAL YELLOW!!

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
No response yet from the Royal Purple defenders? I'm surprised.

Aside from some undeniable baser motives, I want to hear from them because I don't like not hearing a counterpoint to an argument...

Seriously, where's NHHEMI? Is someone going to send him a PM? Or will I have to?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
Royal purple seems to be the best. My engine runs quieter and smoother. It also has a lot more power. I couldnt be happier.

In the end this is all that matters. Making the consumer happy.

Originally Posted By: m3rk
Originally Posted By: unDummy

As a rp user and fan.. id agree with you.. If rp doesnt respond, im going to be forced to call them ROYAL YELLOW!!

They did respond. They agreed to change their advertising.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
No response yet from the Royal Purple defenders? I'm surprised.

Aside from some undeniable baser motives, I want to hear from them because I don't like not hearing a counterpoint to an argument...

Seriously, where's NHHEMI? Is someone going to send him a PM? Or will I have to?
grin2.gif

I hope your smily face means you are kidding. If not, you better read all five pages. He has made several lengthy post about this.

Last edited:

To me, this is the quote of the thread!

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

To me, this is the quote of the thread!

I am curious what kind of response you are expecting?
21.gif
Not being a smart arse either. Just asking.

RP said they disagree with the findings and that they stand behind their data and claims but they have agreed to change some wording in their marketing to comply with the NAD's recommendations and to be more careful in the future in what they say. RP has already responded to this.

Quote:
“While Royal Purple also believes that the tests and testimonials it supplied as evidence accurately portray the benefits of using its synthetic oil in a wide variety of applications, it defers to the NAD’s position that those tests and testimonials alone are insufficient to support specific performance attribute claims in consumer advertising,” the company said in its response to NAD. “... [Royal Purple] has already made changes to its advertising in accordance with the NAD recommendations and will continue to implement NAD’s recommendations and analysis in developing Royal Purple’s future advertising.”

I think you will find this is the only "response" to this you will see. They are not going to change their oil formula because of this. A few marketing slogans is about it. They probably are going to just sit back and let this die out is my guess. Frankly I think it is just about how any oil company under this situation would handle it.

IF they got caught reaching a bit too far with their marketing the only real response required is to not use the questionable comments/claims in the future. This is what they have done. Nothing in this mess is really about the oil itself( just marketing claims about the oil )so there will be no changes coming because of this that I see.

Was all about marketing claims. Nothing in this fiasco has changed my opinion of the product nor the company. IF anything I stand behind them more as they are a little guy being bullied by a bigger guy who is just as ridiculous and out there a bit with their marketing "JIMMY".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I am curious what kind of response you are expecting?
21.gif
Not being a smart arse either. Just asking.

NHHemi- was that direct to me or m3rk?

Mainly, I simply found m3rk's comment amusing. I don't really "expect" them to do anything... who the heck am I and what do I know about the oil biz?

Anyway, I'm not going to get too caught up in this. I'm not all that brand conscious. Price, or perhaps more precisely, value, is my personal guiding light in the oil area. When I adjust for my individual situation, which I won't bore you with, few of the big-dollar boutique oils reach the level of dollar per unit measurement of performance I can get from a well-chosen, more readily available and less expensive oil... especially one I can find on sale.

I've found Royal Purple very nice to deal with and I'm giving their products as honest and unbiased a shot as I can. Indications are that it will do just fine.

Anyway, they've gotta be doing something right to have as loyal a customer as you have been. Man, you regularly take full broadsides from BITOG posters on their behalf, get right up and fire right back. Some may call you deluded. I'd call you a great customer and one every oil manufacturer lusts after.

Last edited:
Was to the OP of that quote and anyone who thinks RP needs to or will respond in some public manner to this. General comments on my part and nothing meant hostile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back