Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Originally Posted By: Patman
I've always hated how they tried to fool people into thinking their oil made more horsepower than others. It's simply not possible.

I would disagree. It is possible for oil to increase HP.

Yea going from a 20w50 to a 0w20 maybe,,@ a .0005 hp increase.There's no REAL gain there.

I've always hated how they tried to fool people into thinking their oil made more horsepower than others. It's simply not possible.

Only if you switch from a thicker viscosity to a thinner one, and even then the increase isn't as great as RP claims (8hp more for instance? I don't think so!) But if you switch oils and they both are the same viscosity, you won't see any power difference whatsoever. RP is not magically "more slippery"

RP claims aside.
Better lubricants WILL increase HP.
Ask NASCAR, F-1,NHRA, Indy car, or Joe the Dino guy.
Base oils and additives DO make a difference. The same can be said for the efficiency in the use of energy with compressor oils and gear oils.

No response yet from the Royal Purple defenders? I'm surprised.

Aside from some undeniable baser motives, I want to hear from them because I don't like not hearing a counterpoint to an argument...

Only if you switch from a thicker viscosity to a thinner one, and even then the increase isn't as great as RP claims (8hp more for instance? I don't think so!) But if you switch oils and they both are the same viscosity, you won't see any power difference whatsoever. RP is not magically "more slippery"

Based on their spinning wheel tests, I'm convinced that they use some type of EP additive (chlorine?) in their oil which may indeed reduce friction to some extent.

Quote:
NAD also recommended the advertiser discontinue its unsupported claim that Royal purple motor oil is “API/ILSAC Certified.” Noting that API and ILSAC licenses and certifications have many categories with different meanings, the NAD recommended that the company discontinue its claim that its synthetic oils are “generally ‘API/ILSAC Certified.’”

I like the crackdown.

Originally Posted By: c3po
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Started same thread here at 2:27AM this morning.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1428404

Johnny, do you ever sleep, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Not when I have the flu, and I have a bad case of it right now. Take drugs and sleep during the day, off and on, then wake up around 1AM. Yuk!

Originally Posted By: c3po
Started same thread here at 2:27AM this morning.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1428404

Johnny, do you ever sleep, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Not when I have the flu, and I have a bad case of it right now. Take drugs and sleep during the day, off and on, then wake up around 1AM. Yuk!

I did not realize that was the reason you were up at that hour, hope you feel better and that you can kick this flu out.

RP claims aside.
Better lubricants WILL increase HP.
Ask NASCAR, F-1,NHRA, Indy car, or Joe the Dino guy.
Base oils and additives DO make a difference. The same can be said for the efficiency in the use of energy with compressor oils and gear oils.

Yup,100% true!

And too bad for RP,finally getting called out,I knew it would happen someday!

Fm can have a decent influence on parasitic losses, but they're still fractional for most instances.

There is no magic oil ..at least at any price that makes sense to use for what you can possibly get out of it.

“The results were provided to the challenger’s expert statistician who was not informed of the identity of the candidate oils,...”

Hmmm, one of these oils are Purple!
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: DmanWho
“The results were provided to the challenger’s expert statistician who was not informed of the identity of the candidate oils,...”

Hmmm, one of these oils are Purple!
smirk2.gif

The said the test results were provided, not the oil samples.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Fm can have a decent influence on parasitic losses, but they're still fractional for most instances.

Depends whether 1-3-5% is important enough Vs. cost.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
The said the test results were provided, not the oil samples.

Oh, I see... Wait a second, what?

The tests weren't independently run, but the results were independently interpreted?
21.gif

-Off to reread article.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Depends whether 1-3-5% is important enough Vs. cost.

I agree. I was throwing cost out of the picture. Bruce uses it in his 0w-10 ..but that's about $6/quart producer costs without handling/shipping/profit. It appears to do more in my situation, but I doubt that it (the 0w-10) would last long enough in service to justify the expense for fuel economy alone.

Who cares about how much power motor oil nets you.
The tests did not discredit their claims for protection, which I consider the most important.

Oil Tests

2nd to last page, the shear tests show that RP had exceptional protection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back