Royal purple HPS test video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, that part of your engine that has a cylinder rubbing on a rotating wheel in an oil bath will do WAYYYY better on RP.

Isn't it interesting how you never see a motor oil's Falix specification? That's because there isn't one. This test does not mimic a single operating condition in an internal combustion engine. The Falix test is not part of an API, ILSAC, or ACEA certification and does not have an SAE or ASTM testing protocol.

Last edited:
+1.
An interesting marketing test, but not necessarily relevent.
I'm pretty sure I have seen regular RP tests this way where it scores the best too.
Of course there are also vagarities on how the weights are set down, as the tiniest "dropping action" at the last fraction of a second can break through any oil's film and initiate metal to metal contact.

FWIW, I don't see the RP UOAs looking better than other motor oils as far as detectable wear metals. In fact, it seems to me looking at bunches of them randomly over the years that they are kind of marginal...Not too bad, but not the best.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Isn't it interesting how you never see a motor oil's Falix specification?

Great observation
01.gif

Me,I`ll take Mobil 1 anyday.........runs better in my engine. The way my car`s engine cranks up,sounds,and drives are the ways I test motor oils,not a tabletop machine :^P When I tried RP`s 10W40 it was horrible! BUT,when I used RP 20W50,it was awesome! Are RP`s oils "thinner" than spec? RP 20W50 "felt" about the same as a dino 10W30 between my fingers. On my UOA,Blackstone also commented that the RP 20W50 was much thinner than spec. Makes me wonder if RP`s mono weights would be their best oils (SAE40/SAE50)?

Last edited:
I`d actually LOVE to try an oci of their mono grades,if only I could still get RP cheap like I used to :^(

Originally Posted By: Spawne32
Originally Posted By: tig1
Here is XMs answer to these kind of test.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Oil_Film_Strength.aspx

how many times does that one have to be posted before people realize that answer is bogus lol for starters, an engine is an extreme pressure environment, thats the reason they directly test the oil on a bearing. but corrosive over time? oh come on lol

The test is for EP additives; stuff that is found and necessary in a GEAR LUBE or a GREASE. Not an engine oil.

Engine bearings are pressure oiled. There is no value in this test. And that is the reason it isn't a spec'd test for engine oil in the first place.

Why don't they put the other oil in a different bottle. A new born baby can tell that's Mobil 1. This test is such [censored]. Every oil company that does this test their oil wins. What a joke....

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Why don't they put the other oil in a different bottle. A new born baby can tell that's Mobil 1. This test is such [censored]. Every oil company that does this test their oil wins. What a joke....

X2

I posted a thread last week about this subject,the editor kept deleting it. Anyway there has to be some truth to this. Yes a bearing with a load on it. I guess it could not resemble a cam & lifter make shift setup. Mobil 1, of course, is going to say it's not accurate. I don't buy RP products but this does make me wonder.I would like to see this test with unbias RP reps.

Originally Posted By: chubbie
I posted a thread last week about this subject,the editor kept deleting it. Anyway there has to be some truth to this. Yes a bearing with a load on it. I guess it could not resemble a cam & lifter make shift setup. Mobil 1, of course, is going to say it's not accurate. I don't buy RP products but this does make me wonder.I would like to see this test with unbias RP reps.

This test is not designed to be used on motor oils!

If this test isn't for motor oil is there a mechanical test for it? Or all we a bunch of Lemmings believing that "My oil is better than yours! Cause it says so.."What other test does the API do to make an oil SN other than it's on the stamped on the bottle? I thing I'm more confused now than I was earlier on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back