ROUSH Air Filter- What the heck is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I've had debates before with other ROUSH owners as to what type of filter the ROUSH one actually is. Most say K&N. Roush says it is similar to the K&N, but works just as well or better, it does not need to be oiled, and a K&N "could" be used to replace it, but may not work as well. It is a white gauze vs. K&N's red. Most use the full K&N maintenance kit on them, including oiling it, as have I up until this past time due to --> it [the white media and what ROUSH said] made me think of it as something like an aFe Dry Flow filter. Now, looking at the description on the ROUSH site since I'm looking at possibly getting a new element, it says the filter uses "synthetic nano-fiber material that traps the smallest dirt particles that ordinary cotton-gauze "performance" filters can’t capture." I read: "K&N," out of the "performance" part, yes? The nano-fiber part caught my eye, having been on BITOG since my last thread about it on the ROUSH forum. I thought the whole nano-fiber thing was Donaldson media? Perhaps someone here has a bit more insight into this?

Here is what the product page reads. The other information was obtained from e-mailing ROUSH themselves.
Quote:
This ROUSH® air filter works with the 2001-2004 Mustang ROUSH Cold Air Intake Kit (part #SM01-8K100-A). The ROUSH air filter media is a synthetic nano-fiber material that traps the smallest dirt particles that ordinary cotton-gauze "performance" filters can’t capture. Based on SAE standards, ROUSH air filters capture almost twice the percentage of 2 micron particulates, and more than six times the amount of 0.5 micron particulates than our competitors’ filters. Furthermore, ROUSH air filters are constructed using the finest materials available today, featuring a hand-poured urethane body that won’t crack, curl or shrink like other rubber or plastisol units used by our competitors. ROUSH air filtration performance is second to none. This ROUSH air filter is 100% washable, reusable and features a lifetime warranty.

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=641

That's what I'm beginning to think now that I've seen that description. That's something they have added IIRC when they re-did the entire site. I never remember seeing that before.

After searching for awhile, it almost seem like an Airaid filter, reading their descriptions. Having that ROUSH one seems to have helped narrow it down.

Quote:
Every AIRAID® Premium Filter is hand-built using the finest materials available today. And each AIRAID® Premium Filter comes with a Lifetime Guarantee. We start with multiple layers of cotton gauze combined with our unique filtration technology resulting in a superior filtration system. All AIRAID® Premium Filters trap the smallest dirt particles that ordinary cotton-gauze “performance” filters can’t capture.

LIFETIME GUARANTEE

All AIRAID® Premium Filters are built to last "for a lifetime" guaranteed. Each AIRAID® Premium Filter body is made from hand-poured urethane that won’t crack or shrink in the high-heat environment found under the hoods of today’s vehicles. Each AIRAID® Premium Filter is 100-percent washable and reusable and come with AIRAID's exclusive "No Hassle" Warranty.

Amazing what you find when you actually search. :\
Curious still about all of this "nanofiber" talk from many manufacturers though.

Well airaid filters do work better than traditional cotton gauze filters b/c they have one or 2 synthetic layers to trap smaller particles, but they need to be oiled. Since airaid filters need oil the dry roush filter must be something else and the lack of info on it would concern me as a potential customer. Have you run the dry roush and gotten a UOA for the period the filter was on there?

It has been run dry since the last oil change last May when I found out it is supposed to be a dry filter. Being dry is why I thought of the aFe Dry Flow because it is white as well and does not require oiling, yet the description is that of an Airaid filter. I will be doing a UOA on it when I change it in May; probably no TBN since I simply do yearly changes and am not worried about "going the distance" on the oil so to speak. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what happens. It is just really curious to me as no one in the ROUSH owner world has an exact answer as to what it is.

I'd just be scared to run them due to the lack of info. How can they send you the filter w/ the kit and give you no instruction as to servicing it? Also that nanofiber claim is sketchy b/c I've only read about donaldson and amsoil having filters w/ it, neither of which can be washed. Check this page out airaid, at the bottom it's almost exactly the same as the quote from your first post.

Last edited:
Well, the kit comes installed on the car in most cases. I do have the ultra-rare, non-Supercharged Roush manual. Perhaps it says something in there and I just can't remember. I will check that when I get home and have access to it. The pictures of it I uploaded online are missing the pages, of course, that would list any such information about it. I have also sent e-mails to both Roush and Airaid to see what they say.

I think the oiled filters in their kits are rebranded airaids and the dry one's are afe pro dry. I saw some rebranded pro dry's on autoanything under the name Takeda for an intake kit, so it's certainly possible that the roush is a pro dry.

I am going to Sacramento in the morning to have some work done on the Mustang, and they happen to be an aFe dealer, so we'll see if they can tell what it is or maybe help me eliminate aFe or not. My manual and the Stage 3 (supercharged) manual say nothing about air filters at all. Airaid e-mailed me back and said they may make parts for ROUSH, but it would be an entirely separate entity so they wouldn't have access to any information about it? I don't understand why it's so darn hard just to get an answer to what the air filter is? UGH!

Originally Posted By: chambers
Well airaid filters do work better than traditional cotton gauze filters b/c they have one or 2 synthetic layers to trap smaller particles, but they need to be oiled. Since airaid filters need oil the dry roush filter must be something else and the lack of info on it would concern me as a potential customer. Have you run the dry roush and gotten a UOA for the period the filter was on there?

Airaid does make a dry filter that is washable as well as one that is oiled. Also the nanofiber stuff is the synthetic layer that is supposed to trap more dirt.

Originally Posted By: chambers
I'd just be scared to run them due to the lack of info. How can they send you the filter w/ the kit and give you no instruction as to servicing it? Also that nanofiber claim is sketchy b/c I've only read about donaldson and amsoil having filters w/ it, neither of which can be washed. Check this page out airaid, at the bottom it's almost exactly the same as the quote from your first post.

Why should he be afraid to run a filter that came on the car? So because you have only read Donaldson or amsoil having nanofibers no one other filters can?

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Airaid does make a dry filter that is washable as well as one that is oiled. Also the nanofiber stuff is the synthetic layer that is supposed to trap more dirt.

Got any info on airaid dry filters?
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Why should he be afraid to run a filter that came on the car? So because you have only read Donaldson or amsoil having nanofibers no one other filters can?

I didn't say he should be afraid of them, I said I would be worried/afraid/apprehensive about running a filter w/ a lack of info on it's filtration ability. I wasn't trying to imply that only amsoil and donaldson use nanofiber tech in their filters either, just that no other manufacturer references it.

From the OP's own assessment the dry filter looks like a pro dry which is entirely possible b/c I just stated in an earlier post they were being sold under the name Takeda. As for the oiled one's they are most likely airaid as the roush description is almost identical to airaid's.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's just puzzling having a filter that has K&N dimensions, aFe looks and being non-oiled as well, and Airaid descriptions. The shop I went to isn't an aFe dealer though. Not sure what's going on with their [aFe] site. Looks like I'm going to have to call Roush Monday to see what's up since they haven't e-mailed me back. Worst case, I'm calling it an aFe Dry Flow in a custom size and going with it.

Supposedly all of these filters sold now are red in color? That leaves Airaid and K&N, but as far as I can tell, they are still not supposed to be oiled. If Airaid does in fact offer non-oiled filters, it will be hard to say since it would be that but with K&N dimensions, unless they just don't want you to oil them?

I finally got on the phone with someone today and was told it is an Airaid system. I guess I'll just stick with the Roush filter when I buy a new one since it is in the size I need too.

I have a picture of the one on the car now. The picture on the site is the same as what I have just not beat up a bit like mine, but yes, who knows if it is the same still or not. All of the other filters are red in color. Mine is the only one that is shown as a gray one. I haven't ever seen anyone order the Roush one yet again. I'll get you a picture of the one from my car tomorrow. It's on the other computer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back