Rounded off bolt heads and sockets: recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ajchien
So I ran into a drain bolt yesterday that was way too tight despite a 2.5 foot cheater bar on top of my 3/8in drive ratchet. I simply wound up rounding off more an already rounded off bolt head.

Unsuccessful, that means I need better tools. I was thinking of a dedicated 18" creaker bar with something like a craftsman bolt-out socket set.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952166000P

Do things like this work? Anyone have reommendations?

these things have saved me many many times, i highly recommend them

Get a set of knipex cobra pliers...they are 37 times better then vice grips, the bite and do NOT let go...most amazing pliers on the planet.

And only use 6 point sockets in the future

vice grips, pliers, adjustable wrench are always a last option for me. so far, i haven't used them yet.

here is the order of how i use sockets. 6-pt, 12-pt, 12-pt spanner. i never really go down to the level of open ended wrenches.

what i do not have in my toolbox is a 6-pt spanner. i would prefer spanner + cheater over socket + breaker for one reason - the force applied is nearer the head of the bolt or nut. socket + breaker in terms of force would be better for long socket/bolt heads.

if you are going to use socket + breaker for shallow heads, be sure to push the pivot point forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back