2007 Dodge Grand Caravan - brake bleeder rounded off

The title pretty much tells the story. A 10 mm socket (even 6-point) slips. A 9 mm one doesn't fit.

I wish they made 9.5 mm. Hey, they sort of do! Alas, 3/8" also slipped.

When I was younger and less patient, I would have clamped on vise-grips and either loosened or broken it. But my wife needed the van this evening, so that was a gamble I wasn't willing to take..

So I soaked it with penetrating oil and will let it sit until at least tomorrow.

I syringed quite a bit of brake fluid out of the master cylinder, so if the Brownian Motion advocates are correct, that will help.

Any suggestions? File it down to 9 mm? Hammer on one of those bits for damaged bolt heads? Live with it and just bleed the other three (which I haven't tried yet)?

Is the original size 9 or 10 mm? (If 9 mm, it's swollen with rust. If 10 mm, it's badly rounded off.)

Thanks!

A little bit of heat always helps. Another tip is to put a socket on and smack the end of the socket with a hammer. I've had good success with the Irwin bolt extractors if you can't get it off.

I'd try the visegrips but I would be prepared to replace the caliper. Not sure I would heat up a caliper.
This. Vice grips should get it off it's it not too far gone / corroded. If it is, a replacement caliper is probably in your future.

Reverse drill bit might salvage it in a dire situation, but I find replacing the caliper to be easier and less messy.

After the penetrating oil has had a chance to work, try tapping the caliper around (not on) the bleeder screw with a hammer. Not so hard that you'll mar or fracture the caliper, obviously.

I've done all of the above of some sort. Be patient, it'll come out. ;)
By adding heat, it does fatigue the bleeder and it may just twist off, leaving the threads in the caliper.
Also, if you do get that bleeder out, have another new one ready to install.
However, I have had to replace calipers.

When I was very poor, I drilled out the broken bleeder and taped for a 1/4-20 and put a bolt in it. When I bleed thereafter, I just loosened the bolt little by little until I got the flow I needed. Worked every time and no new caliper needed. I never liked throwing parts at the vehicle to fix it if possible.

Yep the Bolt-out extractors can work surprisingly well. You've obviously gotta have the correct size, then hammer it on as best you can. Use an impact (I'd use an impact driver in this case, ie 1/4" hex) and gently give it a few hits then let off. The idea is to "shock" it loose while allowing the teeth of the extractor to simultaneously dig in a bit more.

If it begins to just spin, just stop and try a different extractor or a different approach. Otherwise the extractor will just machine the fastener to round

The other rear caliper was the same, with a rounded bleeder. GRRR!

I soaked both side with penetrating oil and installed the snow tires.

Hopefully I can get them loose next spring.

Update: All four bleeders are rounded off. I got one of the four using a 3/8" wrench, which is about halfway between 9 and 10 mm.

@GSCJR, I should add that I suspect brake fluid picks up water more readily here than in most other climatic zones. I wonder if that's a result of our temperature extremes.

Back