2007 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 - Maintenance & Repairs

Biggest thing with the trans pan: do NOT try and use any gasket that comes with a kit. The 41TE uses liquid sealant from the factory, and I have yet to find a gasket that seals. I only use Permatex, and I've had no issues to date. Given I have yet to find a pan with a drain plug, your best bet is to invest in a fluid evacuator so you can suck and fill from the dipstick plug.
I replaced the original tranny oil pan with an aftermarket one with a drain plug. Did the swap in March 2021, using a paper gasket and Permatex's red sticky gasket spray. No leaks so far, except for one I corrected yesterday - I had done a drain & fill, and had reinstalled the drain plug without a gasket. Oops! Fixed now.

Great vans, I’ve had 2 Gen 4s, one with the 3.3, one with the 3.8. The 3.8 ran like a scalded dog for a minivan and had no issue laying down rubber on demand, however the 3.3 seemed better matched to the character of the vehicle IMO. We towed a 3,000lb pop-up with the 3.3 and it did so with no issues at all.

Like you, it was easy to live with if one stayed on top of the repairs. I didn’t find it bad, but I also drove old volvos, which admittedly did require a little more care than say an accord or Camry. That single-leaf rear axle design was excellent for carrying loads and preserving handling - it didn’t have camber squat changing the dynamics on the highway - they somehow really got that right.

Our 2nd one had captains chairs throughout, and it was excellent for carrying large cargo too. New washer from HD? The van with loading ramps was far easier than a modern pickup.

After living with it for a while, I found it was a little easier to work on than you’d think - through-wheel well access and under-vehicle access was pretty good, which was good because like you, I had a regular occurrence of bushings, gaskets and hoses until we got through all that.

Mine did exhibit a really bad issue with the AT, where a downshift from 4th would create chaos - best I could figure, it would grab 3rd before it could release 4th. The whole vehicle would BANG, the gauges would drop to 0, and the lurch I feared was soon to break a mount. For a while I drove it in 3rd without OD. I made it both better and worse replacing the solenoid pack. Better because the 4-3 bang went away, but worse because I didn’t clean it near well enough before pulling the solenoids, and I suspect something like sand got in there and scored something up. Eventually, a mix of transmission fix (super thick ATF) and Lubeguard, at just the right amounts each, made it driveable, and so I drove it like that for a while until it started leaking enough to look for something else. It had some miles on it and didn’t owe us anything. Had I not made that mistake with the solenoid replacement, it would have still been in top shape, many years old. Glad you are enjoying yours!

Great vans, I’ve had 2 Gen 4s, one with the 3.3, one with the 3.8. The 3.8 ran like a scalded dog for a minivan and had no issue laying down rubber on demand, however the 3.3 seemed better matched to the character of the vehicle IMO. We towed a 3,000lb pop-up with the 3.3 and it did so with no issues at all.

Like you, it was easy to live with if one stayed on top of the repairs. I didn’t find it bad, but I also drove old volvos, which admittedly did require a little more care than say an accord or Camry. That single-leaf rear axle design was excellent for carrying loads and preserving handling - it didn’t have camber squat changing the dynamics on the highway - they somehow really got that right.

Our 2nd one had captains chairs throughout, and it was excellent for carrying large cargo too. New washer from HD? The van with loading ramps was far easier than a modern pickup.

After living with it for a while, I found it was a little easier to work on than you’d think - through-wheel well access and under-vehicle access was pretty good, which was good because like you, I had a regular occurrence of bushings, gaskets and hoses until we got through all that.

Mine did exhibit a really bad issue with the AT, where a downshift from 4th would create chaos - best I could figure, it would grab 3rd before it could release 4th. The whole vehicle would BANG, the gauges would drop to 0, and the lurch I feared was soon to break a mount. For a while I drove it in 3rd without OD. I made it both better and worse replacing the solenoid pack. Better because the 4-3 bang went away, but worse because I didn’t clean it near well enough before pulling the solenoids, and I suspect something like sand got in there and scored something up. Eventually, a mix of transmission fix (super thick ATF) and Lubeguard, at just the right amounts each, made it driveable, and so I drove it like that for a while until it started leaking enough to look for something else. It had some miles on it and didn’t owe us anything. Had I not made that mistake with the solenoid replacement, it would have still been in top shape, many years old. Glad you are enjoying yours!

I'm a bit surprised at your experience with the 41TE. Personally, I've never experienced that particular condition. Plenty of others, but never the 4-3 downshift. Given the 41TE is a clutch to clutch transmission, it doesn't surprise me. The design was unique for the time... when the "Ultradrive" came out, GM was still using the 440T4 with a vacuum modulator and Ford had the (vastly inferior) AOD. While Chrysler received a lot of heat early on due to the teething issues that any "new" design receives, I applaud them for sticking to their guns and choosing to take said negative feedback and LEARN from it rather than shy away as most domestic auto makers tended to do.

One needs look no further than the Ford DCT used in the Focus/Fiesta. They were introduced to market despite multiple notes from the engineering teams PLEADING with the top brass to either delay or completely scrap the project. I've read the internal documents that were exposed by the class action lawsuit against Ford. Engineering quite literally pleaded with management to either delay the release or use an existing transmission, citing inherent physical design flaws with the unit. Managements response? "Fix it with software". The disconnect between departments was so vast it was practically comical!

This morning the van hauled three 12' 4x4 posts. Loving its carrying capabilities!

20220530_114946_HDR~2.jpg

Time for the 2-year update - we've run the van from 199K km at purchase up to 230K km.

The IM coolant leak is getting worse, so I definitely need to do that repair as soon as the weather improves. (This looks to be the first March since 1899 where the temperature doesn't get above freezing.) I had the gasket set on hand all last summer, but was tied up with house repairs, etc.

The 2x/year oil spraying has held the latent rust at bay. It's trying to break out in various places, but there's only one small hole in the rear hatch so far.

The van is still hard on gas in winter city driving, and I still think the transmission would do well with an extra gear, but the versatility is outstanding. It's been great for hauling lumber, drywall, furniture, and people. If it goes another year or two without major repairs I'll say we got our money's worth.

The power of the 3.3 is completely adequate.

If I could find a rust-free low-mileage one I'd probably buy it.

I bought a used 2005 with the 3.8L for $3200 back in December 2014 after my 2000 Chevrolet Venture blew a head gasket 400 miles from home. My wife and I still prefer the interior and seating comfort of the Venture but the Grand Caravan has been more dependable. We bought it with 116k miles on the clock and it is currently sitting at 199k.

My records show that we’ve spent just over $5100 in repairs and maintenance items over the 9+ years we have owned it. This number includes tires, brakes, and oil changes, as well as about $600 in deferred maintenance (plugs, wires, right front strut, alignment) performed right after we purchased it. In fact, other than tires and alignment, it hasn’t been to a shop since May 2017 which was about the time that I started getting really serious with DIY.

For us, the A/C has been the weakest point. The compressor, condenser, rear evaporator, and high side valve have all been replaced. And the A/C has not been working for the past two summers as the rear evap lines are leaking due to their poor location right above the rear tire where salt and grime corrodes them away. I’ve bought supplies to cap off the lines going to the rear but need to take the van somewhere for evac before I install them. We don’t drive it too much anymore, mainly keeping it around for utility purposes and the fact that it is fully paid for and depreciated.

Other notable items have been multiple replacements of sway bar links and two power steering reservoirs. Plus a water pump, coolant tube, and radiator.

Currently the van is sitting in my barn waiting on new plugs and wires from Rockauto to show up. Hopefully this will fix a cylinder 3 fish bite misfire that developed earlier this week. The old plugs and wires were installed right after we bought it so they have 83k miles on them.

Unfortunately, the tires need replaced again and the rust is starting to take over. I might get a couple more years out of it if I’m lucky.

Back