Rotella T6 turned into jelly

What would either one of those have to do with the OP’s issue?

The possibility that this oil was contaminated/used/ has to be considered here though I think in this case the OP would know if the jug had been tampered with or returned with used oil or whatever.

My speculation is that somewhere along the way something was added. Having a analysis done on the oil including the solidified portion of the company can do it would show if this is true.

If the DPF was plugged enough that the car reached a level where it'd no longer start, it must've been plugged for a while and never completed regen, so it was probably running for a long time with excessive exhause back pressure and running rich to regen, which put and excessive amount of soot and fuel into the oil.

btw, how the rides his looks like in general?
imho- hdeo are not meant for short rides, those motors are running all time. probably addpack has problems with moisture.
that thing on picture looks like water mixture, basically a sludge.

I'm sure I remember a thread almost identical to this one on here. It was a Lexus and I'm sure the general consensus was the oil must have been sabotaged in the shop. I.e. someone bought a bottle, used it, filled it up with something else and returned it for a refund etc.
any sane person would not pour anything with broken seal. that is big nono.
oildudes even look out for fake canister clues..

If the DPF was plugged enough that the car reached a level where it'd no longer start, it must've been plugged for a while and never completed regen, so it was probably running for a long time with excessive exhause back pressure and running rich to regen, which put and excessive amount of soot and fuel into the oil.

And possibly running very very hot.

Shell bottles have no foil seal, in theory if you get the cap off without breaking the bottom ring off you can replace it and no one will ever know it was broken

The foil seal under a cap like this is a bad design. One has to break the cap ring to see if the foil is intact. At that point the jug is not returnable.

Valvoline’s clear cap is a great alternative. Too bad other companies are not following that example.

Hey guys, my father has a 2013 TDI golf with approx 324000km(201324 miles). Oil used in the car is Rotella T6 and oil changes have been completed every time the counter in the car indicates the vehicle is due. Recently he ran into a no start situation which was diagnosed as a clogged DPF by VW. The DPF was changed under warranty at the dealer and when the tech started the car he claimed that the oil light came on so he checked the oil and found it was down roughy 2 quarts. Tech decided it would be better to just change the oil completely. So tech pulls the oil plug and oil leaves the pan very slowly, and is stating he believes the engine is heavily sludged up and wants to pull the oil pan for further inspection. It’s at this point that I instruct my Dad to have the car towed to my place as this wasn’t adding up, I performed the last oil change on the car and noticed no issue at all with the oil draining. So car comes to my place and I pull the oil pan off and find massive amounts of this jelly sludge. It has a rubbery texture and breaks apart fairly easily in your hands. I was able to clean out the oil pan fairly easily as it doesn’t appear to stick to aluminum very well, the windage tray and oil pickup(plastic) however is a different story. I’m currently soaking these parts in varsol, which has helped with loosening the deposits however deposits do no appear to be dissolving, rather it looks like a bunch of permatex silicon floating around in the varsol. In doing some google searches I saw that coolant in the oil can cause this sort of thing, however we haven’t had to add any coolant to the car. Car had some front end work completed a couple of months ago, I’m concerned someone may have sabotaged his engine figuring him has an easy target(he’s 80 years old) . Would love any and all feedback!! Thanks!!
Wow ... Sorry for your troubles. That is a real mess to deal with. Someone else (not you) "did something." If you changed the oil last..... I am sure at least , u would have noticed when pouring the oil in if it looked strange. Veg oil would easily fool you by looking much like new oil. Its crazy to think there are people out there who would steal in this way some have suggested. Use the good oil, then pour veg oil in so they can return the bottles for a cash refund. Hard to accept but YES there are criminals who would do anything to steal anything. I watched a man and woman return a totally filled basket of food (meats/ cold items etc) to the counter at a walmart (0630am) and the little child working behind the counter simply just gave them over $300 in cash back. As they walked past me I heard the woman laugh n tell the guy "you were right! I can't believe!! it worked!"
What worked? I guess they paid with a card and did that for cash?? It was sure some angle they were playing to say that. Most older walmart employees always ask me for receipt and card to refund back to and wont give cash unless you show receipt that you paid with cash. Seems they took advantage of a young kid early in the morning to pull whatever that was they did. They got away with it. Whatever IT was.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are so many folks these days who pull stunts and return things to stores that they have tampered with that now, I check to make sure everything I buy from auto to food products is sealed and does not show signs of tampering.
Test that stuff to see what is in that mess. Hope the vehicle is not killed already by it.

Valvoline’s clear cap is a great alternative. Too bad other companies are not following that example.
I think Valvoline is no longer doing that, probably a cost-cutting measure. What a shame. I liked the old clear cap 5-quart jugs.

Doesn't coolant and oil result in a "milkshake" consistency?
not gonna lie, windshield fluid is also interesting
Scheibenreiniger-statt-Motoroel-eingefuellt.jpg

Back