Rotella T5 0w40 vs T6 5w40 vs T5 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
First thing that baffles me is that they lump their 0w40 in the "T5" category and 5w40 as T6? Isn't T6 the top line and isn't a 0w40 more of a blending feat than a 5w40? oh well not important.

Ever since FF and one short run of PYB 5w30 I've been running Rotella T6 5w40 in my truck (Gas, 5w30 reommended on oil cap, the Ranger in my sig) And been very happy with it, a shade quieter and a smoother feel than, the PCMO 5w30's I've run. Nothing miraculous, but enough to tell it's not in my head and not just from having new oil in there. The stout additive packages and decent prices of HDEOs attracted me to try the 5w40 when I could not find any xw30 HDEOs and turns out it runs just great, no noticeable power loss or MPG loss.

Haven't seen and -25 degrees C in this motor/oil combo, But I did run the very same T6 5w40 through last Jan. And Feb. with several days at or close to that temp in my old Tercel as an experiment. Outside w no block heat plugged in started just like it always had w any 5w30. A little slower revving in that car but it was a tiny 1.5 liter 4cyl. Just turning the AC on took a quarter of its power away.

However, a 0w40 is interesting to a guy like me. Obviously the 5w40 can hadle the winder unplugged and outdoors overnight plus I park in an attached garage, unheated but a few degrees better than outside and have my block heater on a timer from october to march.
d t
To make a long story short. I know I don't NEED the 0w40 but it might just be a little better at cold winter startup.

Has anyone used these oil and have any comparison between the two?

Any VOA's or UOA's of the 0w40, I've seen lots for T6 5w40 but no the T5 0w40.

Would the T5 0w40 be just as good as T6 5w40 in the hottest of hot summer temps, 30-35 deg C hauling heavy cargo and/or trailer on my little Ranger?

And any idea if it (t5 n0w40) is as capable for the same long drain intervals as T6 5w40 has proven itself to be.

I understand this oil is only available up here in the beautiful, yet expensive oil filled land we call Canada. Haven't really heard of anyone using it yet.

And this finally brings us to Rotella 10w30. It exists, but I've yet to find it on store shelves. I'm sure it could be ordered somewhere if I feel it's the best choice.

I've fallen in love with HDEOs for their strong add packs, durability and fair prices. My truck calling for 5w30 runs a shade quieter and smoother since I switched to T6 5w40 from FF and then PYB 5w30. Never tried a xw40 PCMO for comparison and not really interested in trying. I would however love to try out the HDEO 10w30 to see if it runs as smooth and quiet, as I'd have the overkill protection at good price and longer drain option of HDEOs while being exactly at specified viscosity and probably saving a micro amount of gas and freeing up a little internal drag.

Sorry for the long, all over the place post Ideally I'd like to hear from someone whose used more than 1 of these but any input welcomed. If there are any Rotella 0w40 or 10w30 UOAs or threads relating to on the site Please point me in the right direction, I've found nothing but T6 5w40 and dino 15w40 reports.

Thanks to those with enough patience to read that sloppu post, it just kept growing I know, and any of your experiences and knowledge with Rotella/other HDEOs is welcome, especially those using (used) xw40s in 30 spec cars and those who have used 10w30 HDEOs as well and how they compare to the xw40s.

And one more question to all the Canadian BITOGers, have any of you seen Rotella 10w30 carried by any store w o having to special order, in the Greater Toronto Area, preferably the Mississauga and Oakville area.

Thanks guys

They don't carry the 10w30 at Walmart? we have loads of it down here. Most people who haul and tow with their trucks stay away from the ow40. It's not quite as tough in those apps according to the Ford specs. Now your ranger is a different story, not as big of an engine but I would say if the 5w40 is working, stick with it. It will hold up to the temps. I would use it year round, especially if you can't find the 10w30 for summer...at least at a decent price. Stay 5/40.
49.gif

It certainly has been working for me, priced well and I'm comfortable running it longer than I've traditionally been comfortable with. Manual recommends 8000km severe and 12000km normal on dino 5w30, I feel just fine taking it to 12000 even though there's a ton of idling(I'm a notorious warm up idler in winter), use it as my portable climate controlled break room at work, tons of short trips, though I do plenty long ones as well so the oil does get up to full temp at least every couple weeks, usually more. Hauling 1500 or 2000 lbs in the bed (well over what the manual says you should) semi-regularly and it does it like a champ.

Even with all this I have a feeling I could go WAAAY pasthe 12000 OCI but I wont try it until I do a UOA which I'll prob procrastinate on.

Chubbs1, Have any of these truck folk you're speaking of compared the 5w40 to 10w30 Rotella to each other? Did the 30 flow freer in winter? Was it noisier than the 40?

My gut all along agrees with you, the Ford Cologne V6 4.0L should have rec'd a 40 grade in the manual it just seems right for them, notice it's the ONLY new Ford specdd for 5w30 and I think the only one within ghe last decade not back specd for 5w20. And they always use the thinnest the motor can handle. That led me to try it and the quieter motor confirmed it.

But I suppose in the few months since I felt I'd chosen the perfect oil for my truck it's time to start obsessing over it and second guessing myself lol.

Do any of you guys switch between dino 15w40 HDEOS for summer and synth 5w or 0w 40s for winter? How bad would a dino 15w40 be for a gasoline engine like mine starting in a lot of -10c mornings anda few -20 or -25 c thrown in there. Block heat at night but no block heater at work. Not that I'd likely ever try it in my truck at those temps but would it cope? Lots of large commercial diesels do it, apples to oranges I know

Cummins says stay away from 0W oil

they are subject to fuel dilution and cylinder wear.

They say use them in the arctic ............ so if you are in the arctic....... go for it

otherwise stay with 5w40 or 15-40 oil

I am from Northern Ontario and I've got a Toyota TD in my truck. Right now outside it is -12*C and I will be starting my truck today with the 15W40 Delvac Super 1300 in it. It seems to start but slower now at these temperatures. Monday I am putting 0W40 Delvac 1 ESP in it. I ran 5W40 full synthetics of a few different brands in the winter over the past 3 winters and they all worked well for starting down to -25*C unplugged and plugged in it will start at -40. The oil pressure is always there at cold start and it never has made any noise.

I've not had any problems switching between dino in the summer and synthetic in the winter with mine and my UOAs have yet to come back badly. Once I get to 5000kms on this new 0W40 I will get a UOA done and post it up for people to have a look at.

Hopefully that helps a little bit. Our winter temps get down to -45 sometimes here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back