Rotella T6 as a Euro application

Alright, to get it out of the way, I know this oil isn’t approved for any Euro application outside of many some select diesels.

What’s the consensus on how T6 would do in say, a VW or BMW application? My biggest reason for asking is I used to be a Subaru owner, and most Subie guys seem to swear by T6 in their turbo applications, so i was curious.

your dpf may possibly be clogged with T6 higher zddp than reccomended, there are alternatives , delo makes low zddp oils that are dpf friendly.

The reality is that it will work because it's a stout oil.
Is it better than say a Euro 5W40 that is VW 502 approved, I'm guessing it's not.

But it doesn't matter because who puts enough miles on a passenger vehicle where the engine is worn out and needs new bearings? Next to no one.

The WRX/STi community is like a herd meaning many members repeat what others say and use it. Kinda like BITOG for years had a favorite overall tire which was the General RT43.

In my opinion, diesel oil is more competitive on cost say Chevron vs Shell vs Mobil vs Valvoline vs.... in the attempt to win a huge fleet contract like Swift- JB Hunt-Crete-Schneider... Make it good enough to meet spec but don't go out of your way trying to formulate a diesel oil that is more costly for a gain that is virtually impossible to test and of no real world benefit.

Interesting T6 is probably okay being that it's SN. I didn't know it was SN.

Remember, turbos in diesels operate at a slightly lower temperature vs turbos in gasoline engines. Because of this the correct type of VII's must be used. It's just SN and I don't know if it has a turbocharge deposit test.

Remember, turbos in diesels operate at a slightly lower temperature vs turbos in gasoline engines. Because of this the correct type of VII's must be used. It's just SN and I don't know if it has a turbocharge deposit test.
Do they really? My EGTs get pretty ignorant when I'm hammering my TDI

Do they really? My EGTs get pretty ignorant when I'm hammering my TDI
Ya. Gas turbos operate at temps which are about 100-200C hotter. I imagine it's why we have the TEOST test for gasoline engines.

Pay particular attention to the section on VM's.

API oil means nothing in euro cars. You are looking for ACEA rated and manufacturer spec. Far more superior than any API speced oil.

Back