Rotella T6 5w40 OK for very short intervals?

With out a test to verify ones assumptions it could be the placebo effect... it could be the clutch... it could be lazy foot syndrome... without a test its all guess and by golly...
Naaah ... clutches done change and morph from an oil change. Get in tune with your machine and in touch with your senses man, lol. ;)

I had a 5 speed manual, that was becoming difficult shifting, hard to get into some gears. Vehicle had 150,000 miles, when I drained the tranny oil, it was actually pretty clean I was surprised., but this was just standard GM 80/90 tranny fluid.

I installed Motul Gear oil ester based, and right off the bat did not really feel a differnce. after 10 miles or so, it got better all the way to about 100 miles, so evidently the oil does somehow impregnate the metal.

Its turned out to be an excellent move installing that, tranny shifts much more normal and smooth
Don't tell anyone on BITOG, but Motul ester 10W-40 shifts smoothest and maintains that smoothness longer in my Yamaha V-twin than Rotella, Yamalube, Castrol, or M-1.
But I can't actually tell, don't you know, it's all in my head. Somebody said so.

Last edited:
Don't tell anyone on BITOG, but Motul ester 10W-40 shifts smoothest and maintains that smoothness longer in my Yamaha V-twin than Rotella, Yamalube, Castrol, or M-1.
But I can't actually tell, don't you know, it's all in my head. Somebody said so.
Lol, you need to get therapy based on this thread!

Used lots of oils.. ridden lots of bikes…

20w50 Valvoline 4T conventional shifts like butter for the whole OCI in my last 4 wet clutch bikes. Whenever I go back to a weight 40 syn… I immediately notice the difference when the bike gets to temp, and need a more deliberate shifting approach.

It's funny the more you know about how a motorcycle operates the more you understand how humans are easily fooled...

Whatever.

I don't care if the oil is still lubricating. If it shifts like crap, I'm draining it out and not spending my money on it again. You can bark science and test procedures all you want. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I can observe how a machine "likes" an oil. That is perfectly within human ability. My ST1300 does not "like" T6 5W-40. That's ok. I'll use something else. My CR-V does not "like" Pennzoil Platinum. I have to add a few quarts over the OCI. That's ok. When I burn through the stuff I got on sale, I'm going back to Mobil 1. My minivan did not "like" Mobil 1. I had to add a quart every 1000 miles. Switched to Castrol Edge and oil consumption dropped significantly. That's ok.

Yes, I purposely used "like".

Besides using your powers of observation did you ever try communicating with your machine???

Machine ---->
Spock Mind Meld-3.gif
<---- Rider

It’s the owner that either likes/dislikes a particular oil, so let’s not pretend what your machine likes or dislikes. People do it with brands of gas, wax, washing soup or other detailing product etc. the list goes on.
I used "like" to stir the pot. I don't usually personify machines other than on internet forums. 🤣

It is understood that bikes can't "like" something as stated. However, pointing it out in the context of trivial minutia to play on words and technicalities of what the discussion is about won't get any "likes".

Back