Rotella T Synthetic Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new here. Does anyone have any experience with Rotella T SB 10W-40? I prefer to stick with a 10W-40 for my Honda and would like to find a semi-synthetic. Unfortunately, there aren't many out there. Honda's HP-4 is pretty much out of the question after what I've read here. Two Shell technical advisors told me the blended Rotella would be okay in a motorcycle.

Here is another question. If I took two quarts of Rotella T 15W-40 and two quarts of Rotella full synthetic 5W-40 and mixed them together, would I come out with 10W-40?

Yes I beleive the Rotella 10W40 SB would be ok. I'm not do sure about mixing the 5W40 and the 15W40 oils.

I do know that both the 5W40 and 15W40 oils work great in motorcycles. For the price the 5W40 is hard to beat.

I had good success running Amsoils SB 15w40 for 4,000 miles. This was in my Triumph Sprint ST as an intermediate breakin oil.

I started out with Delo 400 15w40 and shifting went to pot in 1500 miles, I was at 2000 on the bike when I went with the Amsoil SB then I went full synthetic at 6000 with the 10w40.

Word of caution running the 5w40 in your scoot, you could have possible shearing issues running an oil with a lot of VII's. You could also have protection issues with a 5w in the extreme heat.

I would go heavy before I would go light. 15w40 in your part of the country makes sense. The heavier starting basestock will have Less VII's and will be less prone to shearing.

Another option would be to use schaffers 15w40
lol.gif

-

AMSOIL Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Oil is a modern blend of high performance synthetic base stocks, natural base stocks, and advanced additives. It provides outstanding performance and protection over extended drain intervals in light and heavy-duty diesel engines. Product Code: PCO

AMSOIL Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Oil is recommended in applications specifying the following:

API Licensed CH-4, CG-4, CF, SJ, CF-2, SL

Also note that the 15w40 PCO does not contain any friction modifiers to mess with wet clutch performance.

whoa, nelly!! lets stop right here for just a few...Amsoil has been known for years to produce one of the top quality syn. oils in the world. people getting bazillions of miles with no wear, etc., etc.
desiel engines have very high compression ratios which create enormous loads on the crank and rod bearing surfaces..
WHY, in anyones name, would they want to produce and sell a synthetic "blend" that contains any trace of "dino" oil????????? please explain?? anyone.... thanks, bill

quote:

Originally posted by matthewd:

Here is another question. If I took two quarts of Rotella T 15W-40 and two quarts of Rotella full synthetic 5W-40 and mixed them together, would I come out with 10W-40?

I would pick one or the other and not mix and probably both over the 10w-40 syn blend depending on year and model Honda and how you use it .

So what Honda is this and how is it used ?
smile.gif

Motorbike,

My bike is a 2003 Honda CB750/Nighthawk. The last of the air-cooled in-line fours, I think. The later versions of this engine like mine have a small oil cooler and DOHC. My riding is light to medium duty, mostly touring the back roads of Texas. Very little stop and go, and revs are nowhere near redline.

So far the only oil in the bike has been ProHonda GN-4 10W-40, mostly because I was able to get some cheap. When my supply runs out, I guess I'll switch to Amsoil 10W-40. I was interested in the Rotella syn-blend 10W-40 because it looked like it would be provide better viscosity retention and better heat dissipation than the ProHonda oil, and cheaper to boot. 15W-40 was another consideration and I haven't ruled that out altogether.

Next oil change I'll get an analysis - my first - on the GN4 and see if it's as poor as its reputation.

Currently I am useing Amsoil 10W40 in my Bandit 1200 and Rotella 5W40 in my TL1000S. Both bikes seem to shift and operate just fine with them. I have ran the Rotella 15W40 in both bikes and it worked great to. When I was drag racing the Bandit I was using M1 5W30 in it and with a lockup clutch it worked good to.

For your air cooled Honda with a mild riding style either the 5W40 or 10W40 should work just great.

quote:

Motorbike,

My bike is a 2003 Honda CB750/Nighthawk. The last of the air-cooled in-line fours, I think.

Those bikes have hydraulic lifters . The 10w-40 blend you spoke of should serve you well if you can find it .

The Castrol USA site has a link where one can buy their bike oils and get a deal plus free shipping . I think 46 bucks buys a 12 quart case of the Actevo 10w-40 which would be a good oil for that motor .

Another to think about is the made by Motul Kawachem 10w-40 Ester/Pao oil .It can be bought for under 6 bucks a liter at the Kawa shop .

I have that in one of my cars and like it alot .
tongue.gif

Good luck with it
smile.gif

>>>Amsoil has been known for years to produce one of the top quality syn. oils in the world. people getting bazillions of miles with no wear, etc., etc.
desiel engines have very high compression ratios which create enormous loads on the crank and rod bearing surfaces..
WHY, in anyones name, would they want to produce and sell a synthetic "blend" that contains any trace of "dino" oil????????? please explain??

AMSOIL has made a synthetic blend oil for many years now. Since they are still making it, I can only assume there really is a market for it. To me price differential of about 45 cents per quart is insignificant, but apparently there are fleets where the beancounters feel it worth while.
The quality is still there, because of the choice of base stocks, both synthetic and non-synthetic, and the additive package.

I used to stock a bit, but there was so little demand that I stopped when I got rid of the last gallon about 3 years ago. Haven't had an order for it since then.

I have the same bike you do (mine is a '97). I've been using Mobil 1 15w/50 pretty much since day one and I haven't had a problem and I have close to 50,000 miles on it. Email me when you want to do some serious mods to it.

quote:

Motorbike,

My bike is a 2003 Honda CB750/Nighthawk. The last of the air-cooled in-line fours, I think. The later versions of this engine like mine have a small oil cooler and DOHC. My riding is light to medium duty, mostly touring the back roads of Texas. Very little stop and go, and revs are nowhere near redline.

So far the only oil in the bike has been ProHonda GN-4 10W-40, mostly because I was able to get some cheap. When my supply runs out, I guess I'll switch to Amsoil 10W-40. I was interested in the Rotella syn-blend 10W-40 because it looked like it would be provide better viscosity retention and better heat dissipation than the ProHonda oil, and cheaper to boot. 15W-40 was another consideration and I haven't ruled that out altogether.

Next oil change I'll get an analysis - my first - on the GN4 and see if it's as poor as its reputation.

Originally posted by Motorbike:

"Another to think about is the made by Motul Kawachem 10w-40 Ester/Pao oil .It can be bought for under 6 bucks a liter at the Kawa shop."

Hey Motorbike, is this Motul E-Tech in disguise?
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back