Ford Motorcraft 10w30 diesel oil. Is it a synthetic blend?

I grabbed 15 quarts of it for 25$/5 quarts at waLmart because its cheap.

I'm currently running it in my 6.7 Cummins because its cheap and I like the additive package.

It's not Cummins Engineering standards 20081, but i read somewhere specifically that Cummins Engineering Standards 20086 supersedes 20081.

Also, more brands are throwing the CES 20081 endorsement on semi synthetic 10w-30. Even rotella t4 10w-30 is CES 20081 approved even though its conventional diesel oil.

anyway, is motorcraft 10w-30 diesel oil a synthetic blend? I havent seen anything from Ford on its base stock composition.

anyway, is motorcraft 10w-30 diesel oil a synthetic blend? I havent seen anything from Ford on its base stock composition.
Maybe but usually a blender notes that as a selling point. The description on the Ford site says "hydroprocessed" which includes hydrocracking but it also includes hydrotreating.

Motorcraft® SAE 10W-30 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil is a high-quality diesel engine oil formulated with premium hydroprocessed base oils and unique additive technology.

Maybe but usually a blender notes that as a selling point. The description on the Ford site says "hydroprocessed" which includes hydrocracking but it also includes hydrotreating.

Theres five-ish different base stock oils, where does hydro processed fall under? group two?

Theres five-ish different base stock oils, where does hydro processed fall under? group two?
If it's hydrotreated generally yes. Hydrocracked is generally Group III.

But also remember that the first three Group classifications aren't based on processing or chemical structure, they are based on saturates, viscosity index and sulfur content. That's because they are for interchange and aren't intended to define a finished product. Given new technology a non-hydrocracked base may very well qualify for a Group III designation but likely not termed "synthetic".

I grabbed 15 quarts of it for 25$/5 quarts at waLmart because its cheap.

I'm currently running it in my 6.7 Cummins because its cheap and I like the additive package.

It's not Cummins Engineering standards 20081, but i read somewhere specifically that Cummins Engineering Standards 20086 supersedes 20081.
CES 20086 supercedes and is preferred over CES 20081.

at this stage of development, aren't most oils synthetic blends... even if they don't claim the idea.

I don’t understand why someone would pay $5/qt for conventional oil which “may” be a synthetic blend? Is it the motorcraft brand premium?

You can get synthetic HD 10w30 for the same price or less with a rebate.

According to motorcraft paperwork, they won’t say. They’re also terrible in updating anything, so that’s not exactly surprising.

It took P66 about 5 years to update their product data sheet to say that Guardol EC is a synthetic blend.

Mind you, guardol and motorcraft are not identical. Motorcraft still has a tracer in it. And is not an absolutely identical formulation to the Guardol EC product. However… the numbers are very, very, very close between those two. My opinion is it’s a synthetic blend, even if it doesn’t come in writing.

I don’t understand why someone would pay $5/qt for conventional oil which “may” be a synthetic blend? Is it the motorcraft brand premium?

You can get synthetic HD 10w30 for the same price or less with a rebate.
because I don't do anything north of 5k OCI's.

If it's using the same type of base stock as their 15W-40, which i can find locally at any Advanced Auto Parts, which doesn't have the word synthetic anywhere on the container, i'm pretty sure it's conventional.

My jug of 10W30 from Canadian Ford Dealer.

Attachments

• 20231106_162815.jpg
    20231106_162815.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 20231106_162807.jpg
    20231106_162807.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 121
In the US Motorcraft is Phillips 66. Idk if that’s true for Canada though. It very well could be Mobil. At one point I was TOLD that Castrol made it for every non US market. I can’t verify that at all as I certainly haven’t traveled the world to check where Ford sources oil from.

In the US Motorcraft is Phillips 66. Idk if that’s true for Canada though. It very well could be Mobil. At one point I was TOLD that Castrol made it for every non US market. I can’t verify that at all as I certainly haven’t traveled the world to check where Ford sources oil from.

Jug says made in the USA.

But either way, a friend of mine is a U.S. and Canadian Motorcraft distributor. It’s still P66 in Canada.

If P66 ever lost the motorcraft business, you know that P66 is getting out of the lubricants market. It’s been P66 for almost 30 years now? Maybe more?

I bought a truck with a 6.7 diesel this past summer. I’m at 84k miles on it now. Recently I went to Chinamart to buy some oil for it. As I stood there looking at the offerings on the shelf I found myself having a really hard time deciding what to buy.

The options were:

- Motorcraft 10W30 Diesel Motor Oil with the actual PowerStroke label on the jug
- Shell Rotella T4 15W40
- Shell Rotella T6 5W50 Full Syn
- Delvac 15W40
- Delvac 15W40 Full syn

We’re headed into winter so I didn’t really want a 15W viscosity oil, but the 5W was only available in Rotella T6 and there are reports of that oil “shearing down” faster than other oils. Also, the Motorcraft oil comes in 5 quart jugs and the others are only 4 quarts. I ended up standing there going back and forth in my head for like 10 minutes and then I realized how ridiculous it is to stand there so I grabbed the Motorcraft oil and left.

Given winter temps, which of those oils would you guys have chosen? Last year we got to -25F here for a few days, but during most winters we stay at 0F and above the entire season.

I want the best possible protection as I plan to keep this truck for several years.

I think you're fine. In my experience it helps to keep a parked vehicle out of the wind though. Couple of days winter wind exposure really chills an engine!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102-093621_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102-093621_Drive.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 80
Back