Ford Motorcraft 10w30 diesel oil. Is it a synthetic blend?

The're both going to be up to 1% ash

The Rotella is listed here.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-diesel-oil-database.362789/

And Motorcraft 10w-30 HDEO listed here. Since it appears there is no gasoline rating on this oil it's going to have up to that 1%.
http://pqiadata.org/Ford_Motorcraft__SDF_10W30.html

I think you meant the opposite? I'm under the knowledge that wet clutch requirements in oil use LESS friction modifiers.

Thanks I'll check those out.

Windchill is purely a phenomenon that only applies to bare skin, not to inanimate objects. If it’s -30*F with a windchill of -75*F, the oil that’s in that exposed cold engine is no colder than -30*F. Period.

Pretty much. But to be more specific, wind chill affects ANY objects that are generating heat internally to stay warm whether they are living things or not.

For example: If ambient temp is 30F outside and there is no wind, your HVAC system at home will run less than it does at 30F with a 20 MPH breeze blowing. The same concept is how engines in vehicles stay cool. With air passing over the inanimate engine components and radiator, heat is discharged more quickly. That's why there's a fan.

Pretty much. But to be more specific, wind chill affects ANY objects that are generating heat internally to stay warm whether they are living things or not.

For example: If ambient temp is 30F outside and there is no wind, your HVAC system at home will run less than it does at 30F with a 20 MPH breeze blowing. The same concept is how engines in vehicles stay cool. With air passing over the inanimate engine components and radiator, heat is discharged more quickly. That's why there's a fan.
Sort of, as SubieRubyRoo notes "wind chill" is specific to how a human feels in regards to the wind, temperature and humidity. It's not really applicable to inanimate objects since they do not feel.

What you're describing is convective heat transfer or more specifically forced convection. It's not wind chill.

I bought a truck with a 6.7 diesel this past summer. I’m at 84k miles on it now. Recently I went to Chinamart to buy some oil for it. As I stood there looking at the offerings on the shelf I found myself having a really hard time deciding what to buy.

The options were:

- Motorcraft 10W30 Diesel Motor Oil with the actual PowerStroke label on the jug
- Shell Rotella T4 15W40
- Shell Rotella T6 5W50 Full Syn
- Delvac 15W40
- Delvac 15W40 Full syn

We’re headed into winter so I didn’t really want a 15W viscosity oil, but the 5W was only available in Rotella T6 and there are reports of that oil “shearing down” faster than other oils. Also, the Motorcraft oil comes in 5 quart jugs and the others are only 4 quarts. I ended up standing there going back and forth in my head for like 10 minutes and then I realized how ridiculous it is to stand there so I grabbed the Motorcraft oil and left.

Given winter temps, which of those oils would you guys have chosen? Last year we got to -25F here for a few days, but during most winters we stay at 0F and above the entire season.

I want the best possible protection as I plan to keep this truck for several years.
DO NOT use 15w40 in the 6.7. The oiling system route takes it a bit to get the top of engine lubricated. Add 15w in the mix on cold start and you make it worse. You will be replacing main bearings and rod bearings. 5w40 is the best for the scorpion. Even in the south 15w causes problems and it sounds like a typewriter using it, that’s the lack of lubrication and the rocket arms are letting you know

DO NOT use 15w40 in the 6.7. The oiling system route takes it a bit to get the top of engine lubricated. Add 15w in the mix on cold start and you make it worse. You will be replacing main bearings and rod bearings. 5w40 is the best for the scorpion. Even in the south 15w causes problems and it sounds like a typewriter using it, that’s the lack of lubrication and the rocket arms are letting you know
The 6.7 Power Stroke recommends using a 15w-40 to PROTECT the bearings. Also, there are 15w-40's that are cold climate that meets good CCS flow in cold weather. You are also not taking into account there are many up north that use their block heaters too. Any Ford approved F1 spec'd oil varies in viscosities according to the climate & work load. If you are talking about far up north with no block heater like 20F or less, regularly, then a 5w will help to turn the engine over.

Last edited:
The 6.7 Power Stroke recommends using a 15w-40 to PROTECT the bearings. Also, there are 15w-40's that are cold climate that meets good CCS flow in cold weather. You are also not taking into account there are many up north that use their block heaters too. Any Ford approved F1 spec'd oil varies in viscosities according to the climate & work load. If you are talking about far up north with no block heater like 20F or less, regularly, then a 5w will help to turn the engine over.
That is incorrect information. The ONLY reason they say you can use 15w is if B20 is used. 10w30 is used for normal usage, 5w40 is used for cold climate and severe usage. As I stated before the oil system route takes it a long time for oil to reach the top of engine, add a 15w in the mix and really add wear. That’s the reason the scorpion has the typewriter noise using 15w. At the dealership I worked at we asked the customer what the truck was used for, if it was driven around not working it got 10w30, if they towed or hauled it got 5w40. Never used 15w bc it causes main bearing and rod bearing failures bc of the oiling system routing especially the people who push these engines while not up to temperate or oil up to temp. I’ve seen it too much.

Last edited:
The guy in the video is saying he has a theory about spun bearings in the 6.7L because they are using 15w-40 oils up north. It is wise to use a 5w-40 oil if you experience below 20F regularly like I said. You might be right in the sense that Ford recommends a 5w-40 now but that doesn't limit the use of a 15w-40. Ford says we can use the oils that meet the F1 spec. There are many 15w-40's on that list. If your not able to plug in & live far up north then a 5w makes sense for flow & starting ease but to say not to use 15w-40 no matter what or where you live is a stretch.

Back