Rotella Hysteria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have no problem with using the oil brand recommendation by the OEM of the engine, but I really don't think it is that big of an issue. Case in point.... The only brand of oil that Cummins lists in anything I got from them with the purchase of my ISX or previous N-14 engines and brochures on their racks at the Cummins shops is Valvoline. Now, the trucking industry primarily uses Rotella, Delvac, and Delo. Yet, I have barely ever heard of Cummins denying any claim based on use of these other brands of oils or even asking the question. When I or anyone I know have stated to Cummins the brand we choose, it is a big yawn at the Cummins OEM shops.

Cummins cannot say you must use Brand X of oil. Cummins can say you must use spec Y or Z of oil.

What specs did those brochures say the oil must meet?

Hello,
Cummins have had unique lubricant specifications that date back to around 1980 - and possibly before. They became "critical" with the intoduction of the L10 and M11 series engines. These are the "CES" series such as CES20071 and >.

Cummins do tend to "push" their own Brand of lubricants - their supplier was/is Valvoline

Rotella is a great Fleet lubricanst and very popular worldwide (like Delvac and Delo). It was the Porsche FF for many years - from around 1956-7 until the first 911 and beyond. This was largely due to the lack of concrete specifications for PCMOs of that era

I like about all of SOPUS products. My only beef with Rotella was that their 5W40 really did not work well in long drains. I do not know about the newer T-6 product but I do suspect they improved that aspect of the product. I am a Schaeffer user and love their stuff but as far as a major player I think Shell/Rotella is about as stand-up as you are going to get. I just think the shelf war between Rotella,Delo,and Delvac at the local China-Mart has made getting a good oil at a good price easy. Right now,Delo is the best oil because it's $8.50 a gallon. It will be Rotella's turn before long and it will be the best oil. Ditto for Delvac.

A couple of items.
The "meets and exceeds" verb-age, which has been discussed at length, simply means that a manufacturer did not pay to have their oil licensed, but that indeed their oil does meet the specs and IF they paid money it would be licensed. Whew.
13.gif
It is just not economically feasible for the boutiques to get licensed for all. Yes you have to beleive them based on their reputation...or not.

Schaeffer's 9000 5-40 229.50 NOT .51

"One of the specifications Schaeffers does not meet is the MB 229.51 which is tied in with the ACEA C3-08 specification. There are specific ash limit and Phosphorus requirements for the ACEA C3-08 and MB 229.51 in order to protect the particulate filters and three catalysts used on some of Mercedes passenger car and light duty diesel vehicles"The Supreme 9000 does not meet nor has it ever meet the MB229.51. It meets only the MB 229.5."
Schaeffers Mfg.

Best of my klnowledge the TD sheet never had 229.51 on it. Schaeffers sent out a batch of 9000 with improper labeling that did get called back in 07/08

Originally Posted By: salesrep

"One of the specifications Schaeffers does not meet is the MB 229.51 which is tied in with the ACEA C3-08 and MB 229.51 in order to protect the particulate filters and three the ACEA C3-08 specification. There are specific ash limit and Phosphorus requirements for catalysts used on some of Mercedes passenger car and light duty diesel vehicles"The Supreme 9000 does not meet nor has it ever meet the MB229.51. It meets only the MB 229.5."
Schaeffers Mfg.

Best of my klnowledge the TD sheet never had 229.51 on it. Schaeffers sent out a batch of 9000 with improper labeling that did get called back in 07/08

Uh-oh, sounds like "badnews" to me!
28.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Well, it seems to me that Shell's introduction of its new Rotella line has done some wonderful things for their image. In my opinion, it seems that in the past, Rotella always played third fiddle to Delo and Delvac (my perception).

Really??

I've always considered Rotella a segment leader even back in the full dino, 15w40 or straight-30wt days. Delo 100 was always the thing for Detroit Diesel 2-strokes that burned gallons and gallons of oil IIRC, but Rotella really didn't take a back seat anywhere else.

I think what Rotella has done recently is make a huge crossover into the gasoline engine market, primarily by word of mouth (well, word of internet) among groups like Jeep 4.0 owners and turbo Subaru autocrossers. Delvac and Delo haven't done that so much, probably because Mobil aims their 0w40 and M1 TDT 5w40 at those segments instead. Don't know what Chevron's excuse is... they just don't seem to really market ANY of their oils very much.

And beyond that, Rotella really isn't "new" at all. The addtion of "T6" to the name of the full synthetic formula was pretty much a label change only. I've done UOAs of the SL/CI4, Rotella T synthetic, the SM/CJ4 version, and the T6 version. The T6 is exactly the same as the pre-T6 SM/CJ4 version as far as a UOA shows. There were significant changes from SL/CI4 to SM/CJ4, though, but that was what, 2 years ago?

"I think what Rotella has done recently is make a huge crossover into the gasoline engine market, primarily by word of mouth (well, word of internet)"

A couple of years ago, Shell realized that cycle owners have taken notice of HDEO in general and Rotella in particular. So much so that Shell did the tests for JASO.
That and what Magnum said increased sales at retail outlets told Shell that a lot of non-semi/commercial truck users are out there.
They saw the opportunity and took it.

Originally Posted By: Ridds
Ask Shell if any other oil complaines base stock is in their Rotella line.
wink.gif

And the answer would be no.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ridds
You keep thinking that.

I will, unless you can provide verifiable proof to the contrary.

I jsut put 5-hours of race time and `1000-miles on T6 Synth that will get an analysis soon from my turbo Miata.

Originally Posted By: hustler
I jsut put 5-hours of race time and `1000-miles on T6 Synth that will get an analysis soon from my turbo Miata.

I would be very interested in the report. Please list your turbo make and model, boost level, AFR in boost, fuel type etc.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

"One of the specifications Schaeffers does not meet is the MB 229.51 which is tied in with the ACEA C3-08 and MB 229.51 in order to protect the particulate filters and three the ACEA C3-08 specification. There are specific ash limit and Phosphorus requirements for catalysts used on some of Mercedes passenger car and light duty diesel vehicles"The Supreme 9000 does not meet nor has it ever meet the MB229.51. It meets only the MB 229.5."
Schaeffers Mfg.

28.gif

ouch

Schaffer's still has stuff out there with the misprint on them

Shame on them, I will not trust them any more

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badnews
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Schaeffers Mfg.

28.gif

ouch

Schaffer's still has stuff out there with the misprint on them

Shame on them, I will not trust them any more
Just don't want to see you have a DPF failure-my company has four or five Sprinters (and since you live in OH you may have seen them-says Kappus on the side w/a frozen drink & ice cream cone on the side)-I'm convinced that the Dodge dealers are putting the wrong motor oil in them (in addition to not having a clue as to how to fix them)! Shaeffer makes great engine oils, IMHO almost as good as RP & Amsoil-just not for this application.

Quote:
ust don't want to see you have a DPF failure-my company has four or five Sprinters (and since you live in OH you may have seen them-says Kappus on the side w/a frozen drink & ice cream cone on the side)-I'm convinced that the Dodge dealers are putting the wrong motor oil in them (in addition to not having a clue as to how to fix them)! Shaeffer makes great engine oils, IMHO almost as good as RP & Amsoil-just not for this application.

You are indeed right.

I took up for Schaffer's because they listed 229.51 0n the bottle label ( pics were posted )I mean if they make mistakes like that what else do they make a mistake on ? ingredients ?

I ought to sue them, and very well may, but that is another topic.

Thanks for your impute on this matter , along with others that have posted - as the only goal is the truth about oil - Bob would be proud .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back