Rotella giving me issues..... maybe?

Asmoil10w40V10w40M1.jpg

Lol, Mobil doesn't offer the 10w40 in the middle column anymore according to their website. Not even close on the anti-wear additives. Otherwise, it's a
cut and paste of the correct zinc and phosphorus on the 4T, and leaving the more than a decade old remainder of the 4T voa untouched.

Good try!

Well, go figure..... I have ridden the bike twice, since I first posted and it shifted slick as butter. I have no explanation.....

Is that low fat butter, unsalted, salted organic or maybe goat butter? How can you tell the difference, it's just butter package marketing and the human mind is easily fooled, or so has been said.

Is that low fat butter, unsalted, salted organic or maybe goat butter? How can you tell the difference, it's just butter package marketing and the human mind is easily fooled, or so has been said.

The notion that smooth shifting is linked solely on fresh oil is on shaky ground...

Last edited:
The notion of using 5w30 in a motorcycle is shakier tho.
Specifying the freer flowing 30 grade year round is a growing trend
among manufactures because they know 30 grades will meet and
exceed their customers mileage expectations...

Lol, Mobil doesn't offer the 10w40 in the middle column anymore according to their website. Not even close on the anti-wear additives. Otherwise, it's a
cut and paste of the correct zinc and phosphorus on the 4T, and leaving the more than a decade old remainder of the 4T voa untouched.

Good try!
It is a tool for comparison.

The notion that smooth shifting is linked solely on fresh oil is on shaky ground...
Plenty of people report loss of shifting quality as the oil run racks up miles, then noticably improved shifting returns right after an oil change. Nothing changed except the oil. Not everyone is hallucinating.

It is a tool for comparison.
Disagree. I don't see anything about the current M1 10w40 4T that is comparable to their 10w40 "High Mileage" 10w40 car oil which is the only 10w40 Mobil offers beside 4T. I can appreciate wanting to use comparison as a tool but it just doesn't hold water in this instance when the analysis comparison posted is over 10 years old with oils that cannot be purchased with those formulations to do a legitimate comparison.

Some folks are more than quick to respond with the same thing over and over again to promote their argument but when new data and reality is introduced, won't own up to anyone else showing beyond a doubt that they might not be correct.

Nice Bike, I still have a soft spot for Victory bikes, I've had two over the years. I have been using Rotella 15W-40 for years, nearly 20. I found that I did not like it in my Victory bikes due to shifting, transmission and engine noise. I went back to the Victory 20W-40. The transmissions in Victorys are known to be a bit "agricultural", but very reliable. The Vic oil seemed to smooth them out a little. If I still had those bikes today, I'd probably try Mystic 15W-50 semi synthetic. I had used that in a shared sump Roadstar and it worked great. I still use it today in my HDs, but they are not shared sump as you know.

Mercy Zee you don't know for sure if the riders mood has change
because API SAE JASO don't test oil against the way a riders personal shift
feelings change...
😂 ... I'm sure everyone's "mood and feelings have changed" over the hour or so that it took to do an oil change.

Just because API/SAE/JASO or anyone else don't do some "scientific shifting quality study" doesn't mean an oil change can't ever change the way a motorcycle shifts.

😂

Just because API/SAE/JASO or anyone else don't do some "scientific shifting quality study" doesn't mean an oil change can't ever change the way a motorcycle shifts.
Granted... but unless API/SAE/JASO antes up a "scientific shifting quality study" its all guest and by-golly...
The Japanese engineers have a saying for it "The mind is host, the body guest".

Attachments

• SNakamotoLarry5.JPG
    SNakamotoLarry5.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 12
Granted... but unless API/SAE/JASO antes up a "scientific shifting quality study" its all guest and by-golly...
The Japanese engineers have a saying for it "The mind is host, the body guest".
And some minds can accurately tell what the "guest" is doing/sensing, where as other minds can't really tell what's going on with the "guest". 😄

Last edited:
BLS, what you're saying is the body cannot detect differences in shifting feel.

In a relative comparison you are saying because a person cannot see their backside they should not be able to discern the difference between a corn cob and Charmin in a blind test one hour apart.

And some minds can accurately tell what the "guest" is doing/sensing, where as other minds can't really tell what's going on with the "guest". 😄
Without an API SAE JASO accurate oil shift test we don't know for sure the minds ability to discriminate between that which is accurate and that
which is imagined...

Back