Rotella giving me issues..... maybe?

Without an API SAE JASO accurate oil shift test we don't know for sure the minds ability to discriminate between that which is accurate and that
which is imagined...
Maybe some people's mind can't discriminate much, but plenty of other people's can. Not everyone that rides the same motorcycle for years is that numb between the ears and disconnected from their foot that they can't tell what's going on with their machine.

😄

Maybe some people's mind can't discriminate much, but plenty of other people's can. Not everyone that rides the same motorcycle for years is that numb between the ears and disconnected from their foot that they can't tell what's going on with their machine.
No test... no dice... back to square 1...

gentleman, I have a 96 Sportster,,,Harley said 20w50, works in the transmission and engine...when all else is questionable, call the dealership, dont mess with mixing oils imho,,,yes I have done it on a car, not my bike,,,ok,,there is no charge for this wonderful data...lol, some engines can foamt the oil also, watch that foaming thingie....

Mercy, BLS... Elaborate what "Negative" means in response to my post asking if you were saying the body cannot feel a difference in quality.

Mucho no understand what you are trying to say?

Mercy, BLS... Elaborate what "Negative" means in response to my post asking if you were saying the body cannot feel a difference in quality.

Mucho no understand what you are trying to say?
I don't think he does either. 😄

Good deal BigJohn, sometimes the Gremlins take over for a day and depart for another bike and everything works out like it should.

Here, original material from the series "As The Shaft Turns"... I thought this mis-leading trend only began more recently. Nope. Just take a look at this 17 pager... Beginning a with page 2, post #25.

Last edited:
Gang.... just a recap.....

My original complaint wasn't a specific criticism about "shifting quality".... it was the fact that it was hard to shift from 1st to Neutral.... Neutral to 2nd....... 2nd to neutral...... neutral to first...... heck, 'finding' neutral was simply difficult.

The bike had 20w40 when I purchased it and it had been in there for probably 3 years, with very low mileage.... maybe only 1,000 miles. For the test ride on the bike, it shifted through all the gears effectively and seemed solid.

The first ride, after pouring in Rotella, it was even smoother and I was thrilled.

It was a very weird, that 24 hours after a good long ride..... it all went south. And then more weird that a couple days later, went back to perfectly functional. I have no explanation and will probably be stumped on this one.... forever.

My comments below are based on 30+ years of riding and having owned 27 motorcycles, 7 different brands and 5 different types.

The argument that riders can't distinguish shift quality with their foot, butt and brain is pure hogwash.... or it is someone arguing, who doesn't know poop about motorcycles or riding. It is kinda like this example..... Put 6 people in a crew cab pickup, drive down the road and only the driver notices the mild vibration and pesky noise, coming from somewhere in the vehicle. The five other people, have no idea anything is wrong.

Most motorcycles are finicky.... some like certain oils and some like others. I am like the driver of that pickup.... it drives me nuts if there is the smallest vibration or noise or lack of near perfect shifting. I am also a gun cartridge reloader and I know it will take me 4-10 different loads (different bullets, different powders, different seating, etc.), to get the gun it hit a dime at 100 yards. I take the same approach with oils for my bikes.

Of course over the years, I have landed on a brand and type that all my bikes like the most. None have ever complained about about Rotella that carries the JASO cert, and since Shell does not blend a semi-synthetic Rotella with the JASO cert, I blend my own. T4/T6, both of the 15w40 line, is what my bikes like the best.

By the way, the notion that mixing T4 and T6 is bad or even less quality..... is another opinion of pure hog wash. If Shell made a 15w40 with JASO cert. semi-synthetic, I would simply buy that.

Here is the caveat of me using Rotella moving forward....... as of May, 2022. Both our local WalMarts and many of the Parts Stores are empty on the oil shelves. I don't understand why there is now, very, very limited Rotella availability. Of course WalMart is stocking and pushing their "house", SuperTech 15w40 and it is deep on the shelves.

Last edited:
It could have been something mechanical and not oil related at all that caused the issue, likely something that only surfaced while being ridden after sitting for a while. If it continues to be smooth I would keep using it. I use Rotella T4 15w40 myself in a variety of applications. It's been difficult to find in WalMart and auto parts stores, but farm stores like tractor supply seem to have it. I just bought a 2.5 Gal jug of it today on my way home from work.

Honestly, T4, 15w40 has always given me the smoothest shifts in any transmission and I am thinking I might just try.... straight-up, T4 Dino in this dude.

thats hard to believe, since T4 is about the worst shifting oil you can buy

Nice Bike, I still have a soft spot for Victory bikes, I've had two over the years. I have been using Rotella 15W-40 for years, nearly 20. I found that I did not like it in my Victory bikes due to shifting, transmission and engine noise. I went back to the Victory 20W-40. The transmissions in Victorys are known to be a bit "agricultural", but very reliable. The Vic oil seemed to smooth them out a little. If I still had those bikes today, I'd probably try Mystic 15W-50 semi synthetic. I had used that in a shared sump Roadstar and it worked great. I still use it today in my HDs, but they are not shared sump as you know.
Yeah t4 needs a really slick shfting bike to be functional, otherwise will be notchy as all get out.

Back