Roofing prices?

I’m in the process of getting a few roofing quotes for the parents. They have a solar system already so we got a quote of $5K to R&R the system.

We’re in a high CoL area - so labor’s expensive. There’s around 2000sqft of roof to be replaced. I’ve been getting quotes in the $27-31K range, almost within my $25-29K guesstimate. All have been quoting “lifetime” shingles from GAF and Owens Corning as a system with synthetic underlayment(instead of #30 felt), ice/water barriers and attic ventilation. All have a 50 year warranty backed up by the manufacturer.

Does that sound about right given labor pricing and the area we live in?

Around 2012 when petroleum prices spiked so did the cost of roofing materials. Since then petroleum has gone up and down but shingles have stayed up. I moved into a 3600sqft ranch with a dutch gabled roof (huge roof area) in 2008 and got a quote for $8K. By 2012 that same quote was $20K - essentially all increases in material costs.

just had a small 1400 SF home done with the best GAF shingles, synthetic underlayment, and ice/water barriers they offered for $7500

In 2013 the cost to replace my roof was $3200 for a 1380 sf home. Had quotes as low as $2900

My house is 2100 square feet. 32 square of shingles. Full tear off. CertainTeed Landmark Pro lifetime warranty shingles with two rounds of ice barrier, and synthetic underlayment. All new vents, all new drip edge, all new plumbing boots. Insurance job due to hail. No underlayment needed to be replaced. All said and done, $11875. This was in 2019.

This was with a local contactor with an excellent reputuation. Owner of the roofing company works on every job, alongside his guys.

Roofing is priced out by the square or 100 square feet. 20 squares is probably more like 22-23 squares as you have some wastage of materials. It used to be about 300-400 a square with about 100 of that being materials and about 200-300 being labor. Even though materials are up a little, they're not up that much. There's actually lots of profit in selling roofing jobs. Lots of times, you have companies that just sell the roofing jobs and it gets subs out to someone else. So the sub might make the $300 a square but the guy who sells it can make anywhere from $100-$500 a square or more. Just depends how good they are at selling the job. All I can say is get more quotes. In the last few years, I've had roofs done for between 9-12k. One guy that I've used last year is still quoting around 10-12k for a 20 square roof. When I got 10+ quotes, I'd get anywhere from those 8-20k quotes. The 8k guy I didn't trust as was a sloppy quote and the guy seemed like a fly by night type operation.

The warranty itself is worthless IMO, but it does give you an idea of the quality of the shingle.

I've seen properly installed 30-40yr shingles be done in half that time.

Depends on the climate, installation, house construction, etc.

$5k for the solar panels and $30k for a shingle roof seems insane, but like you say. Expensive area.

3600 Square foot home plus 2 car garage and storage room in NY. I'm up on a small mountain and winter we often see 40mph and occasionally higher winds. One of my best friends does commercial work but also has a small contingent of non-union homeowner job workers. I went with this shingle....IIRC it was 35 square worth of shingle.

19k for everything. This is a 25k job around here. I'm about 50 and I sure hope I never have to pay for another roof!! My original roof, due to the harsh weather conditions, only lasted 17 years. Wind really tore it up. I can only imagine how much more it would be now and into next year with the inflation crisis hitting us all.

I'm paying around $120-140 a square for lifetime GAF shingles and I bid all my shingle roofs with full ice/water underlayment which gets you watertight within an hour or two of finishing tear off. With union labor I think I'm still under $5-700 a square installed. I'd probably bid that at $8,000 for the new install and $4,500 to $5,000 for the tear off and disposal.

In a normal world that shouldn't be more than a $12-15,000 roof using union carpenters. Also shouldn't take more than 2-3 days to R&R a small roof like that. No problem tearing that off and getting underlayment down on day 1 and having it put back together by mid day on day 3 and cleaned up by the end of the day.

FWIW-We built our house in 1989 with the GAF top of the line roofing. It was about shot this year and we contracted for the Certainteed Landmark that was heavier per square than today's GAF. It was striped to decking and replaced by one of their 'certified' contractors and with their peel and stick barrier underlayment 'system'. The crew did a nice job that was on a 50'x80' hip roof. 4/12 on the long side and 6/12 on the short. - and 48 squares. New drip edge and flashings for stacks and chimneys. That came to $24k.

Reactions: JC1
I had a new roof installed on an addition about that size for $8,000 in 2017. Architectural shingles, long warranty (worthless basically) and a steep 12:12 pitch. I’d say with tear off and inflation $12-14k plus whatever for the solar panels.

Solar sales guys conveniently don’t include that $5,000 panel R&I in their ROI calculations.

I know a lot of us have pre 'rona experiences to share about roofing costs, but I'd be curious to know what the price difference is at the moment vs. pre pandemic. 20% more I'm guessing?

I'm paying around $120-140 a square for lifetime GAF shingles and I bid all my shingle roofs with full ice/water underlayment which gets you watertight within an hour or two of finishing tear off. With union labor I think I'm still under $5-700 a square installed. I'd probably bid that at $8,000 for the new install and $4,500 to $5,000 for the tear off and disposal.

In a normal world that shouldn't be more than a $12-15,000 roof using union carpenters. Also shouldn't take more than 2-3 days to R&R a small roof like that. No problem tearing that off and getting underlayment down on day 1 and having it put back together by mid day on day 3 and cleaned up by the end of the day.
Around here pretty much all the roofers do the whole job in one day. Sometimes there's 15-20 guys working on it.

I know a lot of us have pre 'rona experiences to share about roofing costs, but I'd be curious to know what the price difference is at the moment vs. pre pandemic. 20% more I'm guessing?
I referred the roofer I used last year to someone else this year and the pricing is about the same, hard to say, it was a slightly bigger roof so maybe only a 5-10% difference. Maybe they didn't have to increase wages for their current crew and are either taking a smaller profit or their price increase on materials wasn't that bad.

Turns out the parents might have found someone through a friend to do the labor - we supply the materials. From my initial number crunching in Excel, they save a pretty penny. But they also lose out on a 50-year guarantee from the suppliers.

I’m in the process of getting a few roofing quotes for the parents. They have a solar system already so we got a quote of $5K to R&R the system.

We’re in a high CoL area - so labor’s expensive. There’s around 2000sqft of roof to be replaced. I’ve been getting quotes in the $27-31K range, almost within my $25-29K guesstimate. All have been quoting “lifetime” shingles from GAF and Owens Corning as a system with synthetic underlayment(instead of #30 felt), ice/water barriers and attic ventilation. All have a 50 year warranty backed up by the manufacturer.

Does that sound about right given labor pricing and the area we live in?Pro
Probably because of the area but man they are rapping you guys over there! By the way I did a couple roof jobs so I know what it is all about.

Last edited:
That's why having a larger yard with ground based solar panels is superior. I mean unless theft is an issue with that setup.
I would think roof mounting them over a new roof will void any roofing material warranty anyway, or at a minimum, give them an out.

Back