Roof quote

$72,000 to replace my white tile roof with similar white, concrete "S" tiles (gives a look similar to barrel tile while being more wind resistant by being screwed down, unlike real barrel tiles) . It's 22 years old, has a few flaws, but is still perfectly screwed down and not any weaker. If anything, the concrete tiles get harder over time.

$55,000 to replace it with 26Ga metal standing seam roofing. The metal roof being a bit better for hurricane resistance.

on0YV12.jpg
Concrete and tile roofs are awesome looking, something that always was a draw to me for on any home... just something that isnt in our budget. ;) sure, a long time back in Florida if was almost common, but times have changed.

Reactions: GON
Why are you replacing a roof that's not leaking?
If the scam is the same as here in Florida, my homeowners insurance told me they would't renew my coverage unless my roof was replaced.
The roof in question was 15 years old, and did NOT have any leaks.
It also had complete rubber roof (self stick) under the shingles. Turned out that you can't put self stick over self stick, so I ended up with a vinyl nail down product over the rubber, then the shingles.
24000 sq. ft. home, fairly simple roof, $16,000!

Oh, and the first two sheets of plywood would have been free, but they only needed to replace about a two foot section, so no additional charge.

$72,000 to replace my white tile roof with similar white, concrete "S" tiles (gives a look similar to barrel tile while being more wind resistant by being screwed down, unlike real barrel tiles) . It's 22 years old, has a few flaws, but is still perfectly screwed down and not any weaker. If anything, the concrete tiles get harder over time.

$55,000 to replace it with 26Ga metal standing seam roofing. The metal roof being a bit better for hurricane resistance.

on0YV12.jpg
Nice looking house!
How many years will your homeowners insurance cover a roof like that?
Shingles are 15 years max.

$20K for a ~36sq roof in DE is a good price these days (like it or not). If you needed the whole thing re-sheeted, it would probably add $5-7K.

You're not going to find a better price than that, unless you go Amish or work a cash deal with someone.

Last edited:
I got a quote of $20K for OC architectural shingles. Two story, 2500 sq foot house. Roof is somewhat complex. 35.5 sq of shingles (say RoofScope)

I signed up for RoofScope as a roofing contractor so I could get the same info on a report as a contractor giving me a quote. It costs $39 for a RoofScope report, not much if I am paying $20K for a new roof.

Current roof is 20 year old. 25+ nail pops. No leaks.

Getting additional quotes.
ridiculous price

I will be getting a roof in the near future. I will be using an Amish company that does a nice job with a 10 year guarantee including labor.

I will never put asphalt shingles on a house that I own.
Can you elaborate? I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP. Bout ready to retire and my asphalt shingles are around 24 years old.

Based on my limited research , the one major difference between the two is cost. Metal being more expensive.

I like the looks of both. I've wondered if a metal roof is inherently safer in the event of a lighting strike? They do have a hybrid system too. Metal shingles.

Can you elaborate? I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP. Bout ready to retire and my asphalt shingles are around 24 years old.

Based on my limited research , the one major difference between the two is cost. Metal being more expensive.

I like the looks of both. I've wondered if a metal roof is inherently safer in the event of a lighting strike? They do have a hybrid system too. Metal shingles.
a properly installed metal roof will last 50 years or more, key is properly installed.

I don't know anything about lightning strikes and that has never been a concern.

Asphalt shingles begin to deteriorate the day after they are installed and almost never live up to their warranty. Like tires, they are pro-rated and you can plan on replacing it before it reaches its projected lifespan. As mentioned by others, there are lots of variables but a properly installed quality metal roof is a lifetime investment.

If you are planning on selling your home in the next year or two then that's obviously a different scenario.

Here are before & after pics of our previous home in Floriduh.
1712856739409.jpg

1712856812042.jpg

Last edited:

Metal shingles would have been an option for me, because I don't care for the look of metal roofs on single story homes. Two story, I don't have an issue with.
Unfortunately I don't know, and did not check on the homeowners coverage on such shingles. If the roof is guaranteed for 50 years, but insurance says that you get 15 or 20, what's the point?
I installed 30 year shingles, but they will be coming off in 15 (or less), according to homeowner insurance scams.
If I live long enough to replace them AGAIN, I'm certain I will have an inspector find hail damage....they can buy the next one.

I got a quote of $20K for OC architectural shingles. Two story, 2500 sq foot house. Roof is somewhat complex. 35.5 sq of shingles (say RoofScope)

I signed up for RoofScope as a roofing contractor so I could get the same info on a report as a contractor giving me a quote. It costs $39 for a RoofScope report, not much if I am paying $20K for a new roof.

Current roof is 20 year old. 25+ nail pops. No leaks.

Getting additional quotes.
Definitely. Do yourself a favor. If there is a roofing supply place close by see if you can get someone to help you price the materials with an out the door cost. My dad and I did this and found that for all of the materials it was $10-12 grand. This gave us an idea of what it should cost. We were getting quotes from 20-40k. When the roofers realized that we knew about the product and the cost they wanted to negotiate a better deal. Insurance companies were just handing over whatever the roofers in Colorado wanted. We found a guy but he was a flake. The new roof was installed doesn't leak but failed inspection.

Nice looking house!
How many years will your homeowners insurance cover a roof like that?
Shingles are 15 years max.
Thanks, I've always loved the home. Trying to sell and retire in TN.

I don't know how long Castle Key insurance will cover my roof. I have a strong feeling I can't afford the renewal this year for windstorm coverage. Between home and car insurance, it's likely to be 20% of my pre retirement income, and 100% of my post retirement earnings.

I'm 11.3 miles from the shore, maybe reducing winds somewhat. I know that's no guarantee, my house is rated for 145+MPH, zero damage in 4ea cat III storms. One peak gust here was 128. Otherwise about 100MPH winds here compared to 120 at the shore. Not even one broken roof tile.

Last edited:
My wife has a relative that teamed up with some outfit that does roofing. She tells me the next time we have any damage from a storm, even minor, he can have our roof replaced for next to nothing. Something about the homers insurance company would rather pay for a new roof than have it fail and therefore have to pay out more for potentially more damage.

I want to speak to her relative and find out if this is the real deal. Sounds kind of fishy to me, but who knows?
There was a guy on Outer Banks who asked insurance company to help pay to raise the house so it would not get washed away. They declined. The house washed away down the beach. Insurance had to pay to remove house where it washed to and build the guy new house. They probably cancelled him after that.

One quote was $700 a square. I think 35.5 squares

I am having trouble getting the roofing companies to understand the proper way to flash a stucco wall to asphalt roof.

It was clearly not done this way when the house was built.

Screenshot_20240411-192415.jpg

Back