Roof quote

I got a quote of $20K for OC architectural shingles. Two story, 2500 sq foot house. Roof is somewhat complex. 35.5 sq of shingles (say RoofScope)

I signed up for RoofScope as a roofing contractor so I could get the same info on a report as a contractor giving me a quote. It costs $39 for a RoofScope report, not much if I am paying $20K for a new roof.

Current roof is 20 year old. 25+ nail pops. No leaks.

Getting additional quotes.

I replaced my roof a couple years ago for free but it would have cost about $20k for a medium complex roof. 3200 sq ft. It seems like a bizarre industry. The company charges you a lot of money and then has people of questionable immigration status to actually do the work. Not sure if these people actually work for the roofer directly like W2 employees or they are more like 1099 contractors and get paid for each job per diem. The new shingles are very nice and seem to stay clean. My house is 21 years old and about half the houses in my development have new roofs and the rest are in the process of getting one or clearly need a new roof.

I had a small leak and my roofer convinced my homeowners insurance company to pay for it. He was a bit of a schemer but it worked out.

Why are you replacing a roof that's not leaking?
It's beginning to show its age. It's got little time left. Maybe an extra year.

But here is why I think it makes sense. I am finishing up my working career at 70. Mortgage paid off yesterday. New roof and we should expect no major expenses for maybe 10 years. HVAC would be first major expense. Rather get roof done while still working as I have salary I can throw at it.

Already on my list of reasons to not have insurance.
Thats fine but we just had a bunch of storms in the Louisville area and I am sure a lot of people are glad they have home owners insurance...

I recently went through this in FL...
Roof quotes varied by $5k, the upper limit seemingly wasn't that interested in the work so bid accordingly, didn't return questions/calls.
Reasonable quotes were within $2k. I got 5 quotes and went with the lowest, only because they seemed just as capable and knowledgeable.

I got a quote of $20K for OC architectural shingles. Two story, 2500 sq foot house. Roof is somewhat complex. 35.5 sq of shingles (say RoofScope)

I signed up for RoofScope as a roofing contractor so I could get the same info on a report as a contractor giving me a quote. It costs $39 for a RoofScope report, not much if I am paying $20K for a new roof.

You fall into that $500 to $600 a square range
RoofScope keeps them honest-nice job

Getting other quotes is a good idea.

When a roofing contractor doesn’t want to do a job he doesn’t tell you that up front, he just gives you a ridiculous estimate and knows you won’t use him. This is common in the roofing industry and it makes some feel they got a great deal when they get a lower price when actually all they got was a regular price from a guy looking for work. It’s why roofing contractors as a whole industry have a bad reputation.

I would go to the Owens Corning website and see if they have any recommendations for contractors in your area. I did that in 2016 and ended up using the contractor they recommended and was very pleased with the work and it extended the warranty by 5 years because I used an “authorized” installer.

We just had a LONG roofing thread her a month ago.

That's approximately $5500 material cost including underlayment, drip, + ice and water where needed. $500+ contruction debris removal of tear off.

I just had a partial re-roof.

Way WAY too much labor and the lazy owner over OVER charge there. What would you pay four guys for10 hours?

That should come with a loooong warranty with a good product.

Is not the current roof warrantied?

Good luck and get more quotes

Last edited:
Keep us posted on additional quotes, I knew prices were getting up there, one of the reasons we decided to sell when we did. I suspect we would have that same quote. The roof and other systems of the house, 2 HVAC units, kitchen, baths, flooring, appliances were all 16 years old and why we sold last year and moved to another new home instead of pouring money into a home we would be selling in a few years anyway, which this time is our new retirement home on the coast as of 1 year ago 2023.
Old home sold first weekend above asking, multiple offers, highest in the area, it was in like new condition for a 3000 sq ft 16 year old house. But all the above were getting close to replacement... and your post makes me feel like I really did just save $20,000 on just the roof alone.

IMG_9123.jpeg

$72,000 to replace my white tile roof with similar white, concrete "S" tiles (gives a look similar to barrel tile while being more wind resistant by being screwed down, unlike real barrel tiles) . It's 22 years old, has a few flaws, but is still perfectly screwed down and not any weaker. If anything, the concrete tiles get harder over time.

$55,000 to replace it with 26Ga metal standing seam roofing. The metal roof being a bit better for hurricane resistance.

on0YV12.jpg

I replaced my roof a couple years ago for free but it would have cost about $20k for a medium complex roof. 3200 sq ft. It seems like a bizarre industry. The company charges you a lot of money and then has people of questionable immigration status to actually do the work. Not sure if these people actually work for the roofer directly like W2 employees or they are more like 1099 contractors and get paid for each job per diem. The new shingles are very nice and seem to stay clean. My house is 21 years old and about half the houses in my development have new roofs and the rest are in the process of getting one or clearly need a new roof.

I had a small leak and my roofer convinced my homeowners insurance company to pay for it. He was a bit of a schemer but it worked out.
My wife has a relative that teamed up with some outfit that does roofing. She tells me the next time we have any damage from a storm, even minor, he can have our roof replaced for next to nothing. Something about the homers insurance company would rather pay for a new roof than have it fail and therefore have to pay out more for potentially more damage.

I want to speak to her relative and find out if this is the real deal. Sounds kind of fishy to me, but who knows?

Back